Alcohol in the Brain

Post your favorite quips of wino wisdom here.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

annemary100
Tippler
Tippler

Alcohol in the Brain

Post by annemary100 »

I'm the ghost of Carrie Nation.....

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Alcohol in the Brain

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Thanks for th e news flash, Tom Brokaw
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Surreal
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Surreal »

annemary100 wrote:While alcohol is waiting to be processed by the liver it travels in the blood through the heart to all the other organs of the body, including the brain. Alcohol is traditionally called a depressant drug because although it can make people feel "revved up" it does so by closing down different circuits in the brain. It is both a stimulant and a depressant.

At low levels alcohol increases the electrical activity in the brain affecting pleasure and euphoria, (working in a similar way to cocaine and amphetamines). In this respect it acts like an accelerator. It also works on the circuits targeted by drugs like Valium - calming, easing anxiety, and acting more like a brake pedal. Alcohol also acts on the serotonin system, which (like Prozac) increases self-confidence and reduces depression.

If alcohol has all the effects n the brain/mind etc, why am I supposed to click through to the southcoastrecovery center. What am I supposed to recover from, a calm and pleasurable existence?

Pass. Guinness 250 at lunch was delightful. I'm having greater sefl-confidence as I knock back some sour mash before heading to the grocery store to grab some red wine. Usually I'm anxious going to the grocery store, but for some mash-y reason , my anxiety seems eased.

Go away Drymary100.
fuck em man, it ain't easy walkin the righteous path.
- Hoss

Welsh Riot
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Welsh Riot »

Mmmm valium...
We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the optics.

kowalski
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by kowalski »

la la la
Snakebite & Blue Bols <-- The Drink of Champions

Curb Feeler
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: Just below concrete on the Rockwell hardness scale.

Post by Curb Feeler »

TS,

You should be peddaling your wares to the millions of morbidly obese for which food is a far more lethal and addictive drug than alcohol could ever hope to be. Compare the numbers and get back to me. I'll wait.

If you're put off by the obese, try the billions that plop down in front of a television for an average of nine years per life span and tell them about the wonders of the 12 steps.

Celebrate y our choices and we'll celebrate ours. But if you would be so kind as to celebrate yours some place else.
Cell phones: The perfect way to keep in touch with distant friends whilst pissing off the ones sitting right next to you.

Le Boozificator
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Le Boozificator »

Curb Feeler wrote:TS,

You should be peddaling your wares to the millions of morbidly obese for which food is a far more lethal and addictive drug than alcohol could ever hope to be. Compare the numbers and get back to me. I'll wait.

If you're put off by the obese, try the billions that plop down in front of a television for an average of nine years per life span and tell them about the wonders of the 12 steps.

Celebrate y our choices and we'll celebrate ours. But if you would be so kind as to celebrate yours some place else.
I love this post.
"Aaaah, the great smurff infestation we had here back in April - The Professor lost part of his ear in that battle, but he emerged victorious, and was rewarded with a tin of Friskies "Ocean Whitefish and Tuna in sauce."
Thirsty about The Great Smurff Infestation days, one month before he blew up the KASTLE! again, trying to create a 220 proof alcohol again...

Hardcore Stig
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Hardcore Stig »

If this giving up alcohol is so socially responsible, why doesn't their website have a forum with people all over the world chatting and arranging social occassions?
"That's only a problem if you stop drinking"

"Nationality? I'm a drunkard, and that makes me a man of the world"

"The word "pub" should never need to be followed by the word "why""

Hardcore Stig

Post by Hardcore Stig »

Also....

While common decency is waiting to process by the initial thought in the brain, The thought can cause responses in such organs as the mouth and tounge. Such actions are tradistionally called being sanctimonious and preaching and it can make people feel "pissed off" it does so by closing down the users ability to allow others their freedom of thought.

At low levels this is annoying but causes a release of serotonin the brain affecting pleasure and euphoria, (working in a similar way to cocaine and amphetamines). In this respect it acts like an accelerator. It also works on the circuits targeted by drugs like Valium - calming, easing anxiety, and acting more like a brake pedal as the user feels they have exerted a control over the situation. Other efects on the serotonin system, include increases self-confidence and reduces depression (like Prozac)

Childish I know but feck it I'm bored...
"That's only a problem if you stop drinking"

"Nationality? I'm a drunkard, and that makes me a man of the world"

"The word "pub" should never need to be followed by the word "why""

billbrasky
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by billbrasky »

They'll even treat you for being a gay and/or lesbian addict!
the friends' discussions focus on admiration of Brasky's superhuman accomplishments, usually focused on his huge size, virility, celebrity connections, amazing tolerance for alcohol, and reckless disregard for human life.

Dgirl
Souse
Souse

Post by Dgirl »

Fuck Prozac. It's addictive, too. I'd rather get liver failure while enjoying myself with some nice drinks/drunks. But, today we are being snowed by the pharmaceutical companies. Do you suffer from the banalities of living today? Why, then we have the pill for you. Don't worry about the side effects folks! We have 4 more pills to counter those! And 4 more....ad nauseum to infinity.

I'll take Wild Turkey, thanks very much.

Signed....

a woman who really likes her drink, but probably doesn't like you (12 steppers, insufferable tee totalers, boring ass people & religious zealots)

lmr5150
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by lmr5150 »

Curb Feeler wrote:TS,

I chose all of the above. I am fucked.