My fellow lushes I request advice

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

GetDrunkStayDrunk
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

My fellow lushes I request advice

Post by GetDrunkStayDrunk »

One of my dearest friends is to be wed this coming summer. This is lovely news as his wife to be is a wonderful young lady, more importantly is that weddings are just one big party. He is doing the proper thing and keeping the ceremony short(10-15 minutes, tops) having the reception and service in the same area to save wasteful driving time, and the number one rule if you're going to force people to endure your lame self written vows, an open bar. I'm already in training to damage to the poor chaps wallet.

Now they have a handle on everything, food, cake, attire, decorations, all picked out. However the facilities do not supply the alcohol, byob for the couple if you will. So one of his responsibilities is to pick out the hooch. Of course he came to yours truly for advice but I'm afraid I'm at a loss. Of course I can advise the types of alcohol easy enough, I however and horrible with ratios. I ALWAYS over buy for parties which is normally no big deal. This is going to be a big tab for him though and extras are not something that will neccesarilly serve him too well.

So, as experts on the area of consumption I turn to you lot for any advice.

EDIT: Forgot to mention it'll be a crowd of about 250, damn case of beer the night before makes the brain fuzzy the next day.

DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Re: My fellow lushes I request advice

Post by DeeboCools »

Well I've never done anything like this. But I think it would be best to use statistics. How many people don't drink, or barely drink? subtract them. How many people drink moderately? calculate that X 1.75 for a "special occasion". How many drink alot? multiply that X3, because drunks get majorly drunk on a special occasion. Then add yourself, because you're buying after all. Then I'd say the divide it somehow by the timeframe.

So yeah, I'm talking out my ass but that's what I'd do.
"S0briety diminishes, discriminates, and says no; drunkenness expands, unites, and says yes." -William James

GetDrunkStayDrunk
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

I've done your math, looks like a "metric fuckoad."

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

GetDrunkStayDrunk wrote:I've done your math, looks like a "metric fuckoad."
That sounds about right
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Jozer
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Jozer »

You can:

A/ get too much.

B/ get not enough.

Which of these options would you say is the more manageable?

GetDrunkStayDrunk
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Well, I'm not the one buying it. I'm just looking for rough ideas, sadly I wouldn't know how much is too much or not enough, not for a crowd that large and not knowing any of the drinking habits other than a select few.

Ptflea2
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Ptflea2 »

Is this 250 the number of people just invited or the number who have RSVP. There's a big difference.

GetDrunkStayDrunk
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Invites haven't gone out yet, so no RSVP's. 250 is just the rough estimate on how many total people will be there.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

If you're not planning on fucking around, the general rule is 1/2 liter of 80 proof per person. Even at this conservative estimate, you'll probably end up running out regardless, so keep several cases at the ready for quick deployment.

Don't forget keg beer and lots of cheap, hangover inducing champagne to weed out the amateurs.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

drunkensooner
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by drunkensooner »

You need to find out how much your friend is willing to spend. 250 is a hell of a lot of people, and spending a boatload seems unavoidable. If you actually had a number to shoot for it would make it easier to figure out the quality of hooch you would be working with.

Just for a rough approximation, assume each person is going to drink 4 drinks. Of course everyone won't actually have 4, some will have none, some will have 10+. At an average of 1 shot of liquor in each drink, and approximately 17 shots in a liter of hooch, that's 58.8 liters of booze for each person to have 4 drinks.

1 shot of liquor isn't a strong drink though. And some people will want to drink beer, wine, or champagne.
Getting drunk was good. I decided that I would always like getting drunk. It took away the obvious and maybe if you could get away from the obvious often enough, you wouldn't become obvious yourself - Bukowski

GetDrunkStayDrunk
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

He's already planning on kegs, I say only one type is needed.

He's expecting pretty much a couple grand worth of booze.

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Two bottles per person. And then wine and champagne. And then some extra. Then double the order. Oh, and beer.
like tears in rain

5-Star
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by 5-Star »

Get a bunch of box wine, kegs, cheap gin, whisky and vodka.

If someone asks for something fancy like "ice" or a manhattan just tell them to fuck off and keep swilling the bottle of single malt you bought with all the savings.

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

If you're really on a budget, a barrel of Purple Jesus should do the trick. Multiply by number of guests, of course. One barrel for every twenty guests should do it. (If it's a really big barrel.) Also serve cheese dip. Don't worry if you run out of veggies or chips. People will just dip their fingers (or other body parts) in and lick it off. Hell, after midnight, you'll probably see them putting the bowl on their head and licking it clean.
like tears in rain

GetDrunkStayDrunk
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

It's not that he's trying to be cheap, he just would hate to spend alot of money on extra and has no idea how much to get.