Unions suck

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

MeanOldLady
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Re: Unions suck

Post by MeanOldLady »

many thanks.

drinking i can do. drinking is the one thing i'm good at. maybe one day i'll tell the story of my being shitfaced in chicago. not now though... this is not the moment.
"Vodka is the Harry Potter of Booze, fun at first but ultimately unsatisfying and made for children." -The Lush

"If you can't trust the inner monkey, who can you trust?" -F. Sott Blitzedgerald

"this thread should be called WEAK drunk pics. more people should be bloody and passed out" -old crow

JimLahey
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by JimLahey »

What else are you good at? awwwwwwww yeaaaaaaaa!

NYDingbat
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by NYDingbat »

MeanOldLady wrote:
NYDingbat wrote:Unions do, indeed, suck. They reward mediocrity and less.
Well points for honesty; it would be hard for you to come up with a more accurate screen name.

You're an idiot. Raises that aren't based on performance are stupid. Phone company example - you don't deserve the same raise at 50% order accuracy as someone who has 100% order accuracy (me). Merit based raises and promotions affords a company a better, more motivated workforce. By rewarding those who merely show up with the same salary raises and days off is just stupid and a bad business model. How do you argue against performance based pay? My first master's is in teaching - secondary science (bio, physics, chem, geo) and I campaigned against tenure. I was not popular. Tenure is nonsense. Another union scam. (Second master's is an MBA in IT)

And my screen name has to do with memory, not sense or intelligence. Perhaps you should change yours. Maybe include "uninformed".

Unions do, indeed, suck.
"I don't start the day. I continue the night."
- mistah willies

"What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch?"
- W.C. Fields

DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by DeeboCools »

Yeah! The non-union model is much better. Work your tired bones all your life while the possibility of a raise is dangled in front of you like piece of meat to a greyhound. If you need more money just felate your employer. Get maybe $4 more per hour over decades and die in poverty.

Or maybe there's some way to bargain...collectively...
"S0briety diminishes, discriminates, and says no; drunkenness expands, unites, and says yes." -William James

Jags
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Jags »

NYDingbat wrote:
MeanOldLady wrote:
Well points for honesty; it would be hard for you to come up with a more accurate screen name.

You're an idiot. Raises that aren't based on performance are stupid. Phone company example - you don't deserve the same raise at 50% order accuracy as someone who has 100% order accuracy (me). Merit based raises and promotions affords a company a better, more motivated workforce. By rewarding those who merely show up with the same salary raises and days off is just stupid and a bad business model. How do you argue against performance based pay? My first master's is in teaching - secondary science (bio, physics, chem, geo) and I campaigned against tenure. I was not popular. Tenure is nonsense. Another union scam. (Second master's is an MBA in IT)

And my screen name has to do with memory, not sense or intelligence. Perhaps you should change yours. Maybe include "uninformed".

Unions do, indeed, suck.

I got your back, sucker punch the beoch!
-------------------------------------

The older I get, the better I was.

It's damn expensive to look this cheap.

MeanOldLady
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by MeanOldLady »

NYDingbat wrote:
MeanOldLady wrote:
Raises that aren't based on performance are stupid. Phone company example - you don't deserve the same raise at 50% order accuracy as someone who has 100% order accuracy (me).
ah. so you are under the impression that a) you deserved some sort of merit-based raise, b) that your experience with the phone company is indicative of all unions, c) that this perceived flaw is enough to render all unions "sucky," and d) that non-unions have a raise/advancement system that would better suit your tastes.
And my screen name has to do with memory, not sense or intelligence.
the evidence does not support this conclusion.
"Vodka is the Harry Potter of Booze, fun at first but ultimately unsatisfying and made for children." -The Lush

"If you can't trust the inner monkey, who can you trust?" -F. Sott Blitzedgerald

"this thread should be called WEAK drunk pics. more people should be bloody and passed out" -old crow

ChiliDawg
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by ChiliDawg »

I must weigh in on the side of "suck"

My company shows product at a trade show at the Mart in Chicago, every year. Our product is one that involves major assembly, on site, and power tools (drills) are necessary. The problem is that the Merchandise Mart has it's on labor crew, which of course is unionized, being that it is Chicago. That being the case, we cannot operate the power tools without one of these jackasses supervising us, or doing the work themselves, at a rate of about $45-50.00 per hour.

Since these guys aren't familiar with our assembly process, it basically boils down to us paying these turkeys to sit in our presence, and drink a coke, while we do all of the work.

Total insanity!

Jiggers McCoy
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Jiggers McCoy »

Obviously no system is perfect, but I gotta say the world is better off with unions. Without a union you'd likely get no raise, merit-based or otherwise.

I know all you Ayn Randies would like to think you're John Galt - brilliant, independent, yet impeded by society and government - but the reality is that people richer than you will always try to screw you to make themselves richer, and unions are an effective check on that impulse.
• "Avoiding the darker alcohols like bourbon, red wine and dark rum might lessen [a hangover] and you might also dance better if you wear a tutu instead of trousers." - FKR

• "If you wanna 'talk about' my drinking, it better be about how fucking awesome it is." - Me

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mr Boozificator »

Unions in France are a nightmare, they're undermining this country's economy. They have invented the "preemptive strike". Every September every year, you get major strikes "in case" they would not get a raise no matter what the economy is like. Ridiculous.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.

DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by DeeboCools »

Jiggers McCoy wrote:Obviously no system is perfect, but I gotta say the world is better off with unions. Without a union you'd likely get no raise, merit-based or otherwise.

I know all you Ayn Randies would like to think you're John Galt - brilliant, independent, yet impeded by society and government - but the reality is that people richer than you will always try to screw you to make themselves richer, and unions are an effective check on that impulse.
That's it, simply put, which I couldn't do because I'm too angry. Unions, and the right to assemble/unionize is the most intuitive force for good in society.

I recognize it can get out of control bureaucratically, but I can't support any union-busting. It's a giant leap backward.
"S0briety diminishes, discriminates, and says no; drunkenness expands, unites, and says yes." -William James

NYDingbat
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by NYDingbat »

ChiliDawg wrote:I must weigh in on the side of "suck"

My company shows product at a trade show at the Mart in Chicago, every year. Our product is one that involves major assembly, on site, and power tools (drills) are necessary. The problem is that the Merchandise Mart has it's on labor crew, which of course is unionized, being that it is Chicago. That being the case, we cannot operate the power tools without one of these jackasses supervising us, or doing the work themselves, at a rate of about $45-50.00 per hour.

Since these guys aren't familiar with our assembly process, it basically boils down to us paying these turkeys to sit in our presence, and drink a coke, while we do all of the work.

Total insanity!
Thank you my friend of the mellifluous pipes!

Shall we also mention the thuggery that union members exhibit constantly?

Even mentioned on the leftists' beloved MSNBC:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/?id=11881780&q ... =1&sm=user

http://michellemalkin.com/?s=seiu+thuggery

There's more - but do your own homework. I was there and saw it firsthand - the detestable Communications Workers of America routinely defended reps who stole sales from other reps and outside guys who set up a manhole and left it to go drink all afternoon.

Unions are despicable. Period. And yes, if I work harder, I deserve a bigger raise. Fuck off to all entitled parasites who think they deserve like raises for just showing up and underperforming and feel like they're owed more each year for doing same. I call bullshit.

Jeekas. What happened to the work ethic that built this great country? You of the entitled mindset disgust me.
"I don't start the day. I continue the night."
- mistah willies

"What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch?"
- W.C. Fields

MeanOldLady
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by MeanOldLady »

Jiggers McCoy wrote:Obviously no system is perfect, but I gotta say the world is better off with unions. Without a union you'd likely get no raise, merit-based or otherwise.

hear, hear.

but labor laws are for limp-wristed pussies, right? gettin' in the way of hard workin' merkins freedoms. btw, there's no faster way to lose all credibility than to link to michelle malkin.

Jiggers McCoy
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Jiggers McCoy »

I weep for the future of America not because of entitled parasites (of which there are many, to be sure), but for the simple fact so few rich fuckers have conned so many poor fuckers into being on their side. The greatest trick the right has ever pulled was getting the lower and middle classes to campaign for, and support, rich assholes.

"Well, Candidate X will eventually ensure my life savings end up buying some Wall Street choad's fifth yacht, but at least he's against killin' babies and makin' sure fags don't get married." - Pathetic

And if you don't like being part of a union, you are free to seek other opportunities.
Last edited by Jiggers McCoy on Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
• "Avoiding the darker alcohols like bourbon, red wine and dark rum might lessen [a hangover] and you might also dance better if you wear a tutu instead of trousers." - FKR

• "If you wanna 'talk about' my drinking, it better be about how fucking awesome it is." - Me

MeanOldLady
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by MeanOldLady »

you've already uncovered the belief that perpetuates this hoax: that in the absence of unions, labor laws or regulations of any kind, people who work hard will be more prosperous. now let's just never mind that premise for a second, because we'll be here for years discussing it, and let's just marvel at the honest contention (based on what, i cannot say) that there is a system out there, unshackled by unions or labor laws, with a direct correlation between exertion and profit.

DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by DeeboCools »

The so called "rightward shift" in american politics was entirely bankrolled(astroturfed) by a few billionaires to stay on corporate welfare and keep/get more tax breaks.

In the golden days of the U.S. economy after WWII Eisenhower's tax rate on the rich was 91%. Mind you tax breaks were offered for lots of things- mostly reinvesting in ones own business, which actually creates jobs.

And we're still letting the rich pay little to no taxes, actually bailing their bad investments out on our dime, all for the sake of "creating jobs". Not one of those banksters or oil barons is going to create an american job. It's all a swindle.

Sorry. "off topic"