Had I known, I would have been living in Russia

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Jags
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Had I known, I would have been living in Russia

Post by Jags »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14232970

Russia classifies beer as alcoholic

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has signed a bill that officially classifies beer as alcoholic.

Until now anything containing less than 10% alcohol in Russia has been considered a foodstuff.

The move, signed into law on Wednesday, will allow ministers to control the sale of beer in the same way that spirits are controlled.

Russian alcohol consumption is already twice the critical level set by the World Health Organization.

Although vodka has long been the traditional tipple in Russia, beer has soared in popularity, being marketed as a healthier alternative to spirits.

Over the past decade, beer sales in Russia have risen more than 40% while vodka sales have fallen by nearly 30%.

Correspondents say it is common to see people swigging beer in the street and in parks as if they are drinking soft drinks.

It is not restricted to certain stores and is sold around the clock.

"The law brings some order into the sale of beer," Vadim Drobiz, director of the Centre for Federal and Regional Alcohol Market Studies, told US broadcaster Bloomberg.

Last year the Russian beer industry was hit by a 200% tax hike on its products as ministers sought to bring consumption under control.

The new measures - which come into effect in 2013 - will stop alcohol being sold in unlicensed kiosks, ban its sale from stores between certain hours and restrict its advertising.

In 2009 President Medvedev ordered the government to prepare draft laws on a package of measures to counter growing alcohol abuse.
-------------------------------------

The older I get, the better I was.

It's damn expensive to look this cheap.

Booz Hound
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Re: Had I known, I would have been living in Russia

Post by Booz Hound »

Beer has alcohol, huh, i've always considered beer as a great way to stay undrunk.
Fear the Man, kill the snitch. Just remember life's a bitch.
- Motorhead

Oh nooo, my brain!
- Hans Moleman

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

I don't care what anybody says, I'm sticking with the foodstuff classification. It's what I eat with my bourbon.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by DeeboCools »

There were tons of attempts in the Soviet era to curb Russia's drinking that failed. This is a repeat of all of the same shit.

I also consider beer a food. Actually, I consider all alcoholic beverages a food. A food that makes you more accident prone.
"S0briety diminishes, discriminates, and says no; drunkenness expands, unites, and says yes." -William James

DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by DeeboCools »

perfect PSA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkqjKf2QxNA

Sorry if the dude's not russian, I can't tell the difference between any slavic-sounding accents.
"S0briety diminishes, discriminates, and says no; drunkenness expands, unites, and says yes." -William James

Bur
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Bur »

DeeboCools wrote:perfect PSA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkqjKf2QxNA

Sorry if the dude's not russian, I can't tell the difference between any slavic-sounding accents.
Watched that video year or two back I think. I was just looking for drinking related videos and drinking cheap vodka. Just like tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=529XNu1mG3Y, first two and half minutes or so I think will work for people not from Finland as well.

DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by DeeboCools »

Bur wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=529XNu1mG3Y, first two and half minutes or so I think will work for people not from Finland as well.
Not bad. Here's another:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WlwumGkSec

Resident Asshole

Post by Resident Asshole »

lol
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

Is this Russia, Danny? This isn't Russia
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk