How to prep for a whisky tasting?

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Wings Of Wax
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

How to prep for a whisky tasting?

Post by Wings Of Wax »

The following is pretty obvious to everybody who drinks fine whiskys. However, I am really new to single malts, so bear with me....

What you eat or drink before drinking single malts seems really important if you want to get the best of the single malt taste.

So what tricks and protocols do you use in order to prime your taste buds for the expensive drops? Water would be an obvious way of doing it. But say you just brushed your teeth, that will affect the taste of the whisky significantly. So what do you do?

It's probably easier all around to avoid certain food/nonfoods before partaking in the sippin'.

So basically, if you want to, please share your thoughts!

ps) I've had one glass of Glenfiddich 18yo, and I feel really intoxicated. There has to be something in single malts that makes the intoxication much more ... interesting and stimulating. And clean, without the feeling that you are pouring drain cleaner down your throat. Really something.

Jags
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Re: How to prep for a whisky tasting?

Post by Jags »

I would say it's like taking a breathalyzer. Wait 20 minutes before tasting after food or beverage other than alcohol including brushing teeth. If you're tasting multiple whiskey's maybe use coffee to clear your palate the same as sniffing coffee to clear your nose when testing perfumes.

This will also help you stay up so you can sample longer. Plus coffee is good for your liver to help it keep in good shape for processing your imbibing.
-------------------------------------

The older I get, the better I was.

It's damn expensive to look this cheap.

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

Wings Of Wax wrote:The following is pretty obvious to everybody who drinks fine whiskys. However, I am really new to single malts, so bear with me....

What you eat or drink before drinking single malts seems really important if you want to get the best of the single malt taste.

So what tricks and protocols do you use in order to prime your taste buds for the expensive drops? Water would be an obvious way of doing it. But say you just brushed your teeth, that will affect the taste of the whisky significantly. So what do you do?

It's probably easier all around to avoid certain food/nonfoods before partaking in the sippin'.

So basically, if you want to, please share your thoughts!

ps) I've had one glass of Glenfiddich 18yo, and I feel really intoxicated. There has to be something in single malts that makes the intoxication much more ... interesting and stimulating. And clean, without the feeling that you are pouring drain cleaner down your throat. Really something.

Dude...maybe you might consider consolidating a few of your whisky threads?

Just sayin'...
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

icarus, you're obviously sticking around, which is cool, but yer gonna need an av.
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Resident Asshole »

I would imagine it's like doing a beer tasting. We clean our glasses (or use a new one) in between beers. We also either cleanse our palate with water or saltless crackers.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

Surreal
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Surreal »

How to prep for a whiskey tasting?

in a word, "Bourbon".

Front loading is key.
fuck em man, it ain't easy walkin the righteous path.
- Hoss

Mayhems
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by Mayhems »

Surreal wrote:How to prep for a whiskey tasting?

in a word, "Bourbon".

Front loading is key.
This, and wear a helmet.

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

Mayhem Anomaly wrote:
Surreal wrote:How to prep for a whiskey tasting?

in a word, "Bourbon".

Front loading is key.
This, and wear a helmet.
Bills fans, too.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

Judge

Post by Judge »

Give your wallet to a very trusted friend. Not a girlfriend, a friend. Make sure you're wearing old underwear and have $20 bucks in cab fare in the left back pocket of your pants.

If you have more than one credit card bring the one with the lowest available credit.

Work on being very polite to the bartender and try for a seat on either end (if you are right handed try for the right end of the bar for puke purposes). Not that you should puke but you might do it wrong.

Tip heavily because you're proclamations on the whiskys will not impress the bartender but he/she will keep them coming.

She doesn't think you're cute or funny. She'll leave when your card maxes out.
Proverbs 31:6&7

"Pain is sometimes the price of laughter."-Oggar

CPE1704TKS

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane"-Marcus Aurelius

And afterwords we can run amok! Or if you're too tired, we can walk amok.

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Wingman wrote:icarus, you're obviously sticking around, which is cool, but yer gonna need an I.V.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

BBoozer
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by BBoozer »

Wings Of Wax wrote:
ps) I've had one glass of Glenfiddich 18yo, and I feel really intoxicated.
I don't want to offend you, so I apologize up front, but are you on the right board? Are you the same age as the Glenfiddich?

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

I do tend to rinse the glass out between
other than that, i try not to sip from my flask
like tears in rain

Bur

Post by Bur »

I tend to start with waking up like today. Now on to the bowmore.

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Judge wrote:Give your wallet to a very trusted friend. Not a girlfriend, a friend. Make sure you're wearing old underwear and have $20 bucks in cab fare in the left back pocket of your pants.

If you have more than one credit card bring the one with the lowest available credit.

Work on being very polite to the bartender and try for a seat on either end (if you are right handed try for the right end of the bar for puke purposes). Not that you should puke but you might do it wrong.

Tip heavily because you're proclamations on the whiskys will not impress the bartender but he/she will keep them coming.

She doesn't think you're cute or funny. She'll leave when your card maxes out.
Damn. You have it all figured out. Did you major in Drinking 101 in college?
like tears in rain

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Bur wrote:I tend to start with waking up.
Cheers to the simplest approach.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought