The Dive Bar Debate

Where you like to get loaded, and why.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Shane-O-Matic
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Re: The Dive Bar Debate

Post by Shane-O-Matic »

No, that seems to make sense!

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Resident Asshole wrote: I would say though that an old buddy who went to school for linguistics once told me that the definition of a word changes with the culture. So if 90% of people on the street would call a vodka/cran a cocktail, then it is such. You are of course welcome to disagree with this. It's a bit like if you ask for a vodka and "coke" down south in the US, it just means you want vodka with (some sort of flavored) soda. However, if you ask for a vodka and soda here, I will give you vodka and club soda (non-flavored carbonated water).
Ayuh, where I'm from, it's called soda, if it's a sweetened (with high fucktose corn syrup: mega-corp asshole Monsanto and their gmo corn all about the fucking planet) and flavor, with effervescence.

Them damned Cannucks come down heah and ask for tonic. WTF is that?

Out west beyond my beloved state, folks may ask for Pop when they visit our "Vacationland." I'll give you a pop in the chin for that shit.

Be a man and order each label, on both things you want in your two-ingredient cocktail.

Basterds.
Can we drink now? ---peetie44
At rock bottom, there is no down. ---The Oett
^ ^ ^ Yes his entire cutlery set and all utensils are made from assorted broken bottles.--- The Artful Detective
Just remember Hugh: a good cocktail in a shitty glass is better that a shitty cocktail in a pretty glass.---The Badfellow
I'll buy the first round if you promise to stop being a cunt. --- Dear Booze

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

I hope that this helps.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Resident Asshole »

I disagree with that video. Dive bars don't have yards of beer. You will be lucky to find a clean pint glass, let alone a specialty glass.

Here's a review of my local dive bar: http://moderndrunkardmagazine.com/bbs/v ... 14&t=64668
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

Resident Asshole wrote:Here's a review of my local dive bar: http://moderndrunkardmagazine.com/bbs/v ... 14&t=64668
Seems like a quality spot.
I have never considered going to a "dive bar" as fa as I'm aware it just isn't part of the culture in the UK. Entirely possible that it's down to a terminology difference. Also the stuff about good pours doesn't happen here because our government is obsessed with having everything measured and it illegal to sell any alcohol in a bar that is not in a standard measure
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Resident Asshole wrote:I disagree with that video. Dive bars don't have yards of beer. You will be lucky to find a clean pint glass, let alone a specialty glass.

Here's a review of my local dive bar: http://moderndrunkardmagazine.com/bbs/v ... 14&t=64668
Very nicely done, young man. Excellent read. "Those who hang out with bartenders inevitably end up with free drinks, and if the bartender is opposite sex there is always a chance of that sort of action." That is indeed, the definition of a true Dive Bar. But the idea that the bartenders live next door and come back in, hey, I would like have their job. I would become indentured servant.

Palinka wrote:I hope that this helps.
I need to check those places out. I should put up vids of my own visits to Sin City.

My work demands that I visit LV twice each year.

Jiggers McCoy
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Jiggers McCoy »

- Cash only
- Smelly, usually smoke and piss but could just be a general mustiness
- Maybe a dive could get away with having a bartender's helper "gun," but in most dives the mixers will be from cartons, jugs, or two-liter bottles. Bonus points if they are the off-brand, private store labels
- Open before noon
- Actual juke (no internet crap), bonus points if you put your money in and nothing happens
- No food except for Slim Jims and the big egg jar
- Hostile staff (real sweethearts once you get to know them)
- The path to the bathroom goes through a storage/janitorial supply area
• "Avoiding the darker alcohols like bourbon, red wine and dark rum might lessen [a hangover] and you might also dance better if you wear a tutu instead of trousers." - FKR

• "If you wanna 'talk about' my drinking, it better be about how fucking awesome it is." - Me

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

So, according to Jiggers, pretty much every pub in Britain, in the 1970s...
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

I do keep meaning to brave the pickle jar, then back out at the last second
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Mr. Viking wrote:I do keep meaning to brave the pickle jar, then back out at the last second
Something about the salty and the vinegar appeals to my friends and me when we meet at a pub, and of course, it also keeps the attractives at bay. Like we need any help with that.

Oddly enough, I only crave sweets when I am not imbibing.

Which is rare...

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

tdcwillies wrote:
Mr. Viking wrote:I do keep meaning to brave the pickle jar, then back out at the last second
Something about the salty and the vinegar appeals to my friends and me when we meet at a pub, and of course, it also keeps the attractives at bay. Like we need any help with that.

Oddly enough, I only crave sweets when I am not imbibing.

Which is rare...
I don't think sweetness and booze go well together apart from a few exceptions such as christmas pudding

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

if wine is served it is by the bottle and cheaper than beer. Or on tap

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Mr. Viking wrote:if wine is served it is by the bottle and cheaper than beer. Or on tap
Good man, verily I say unto thee, that in this State of Insanity to which I refer as "Maine," there are public places to attend festivities where upon it is BYOB.

Not everyone is allowed a liquor license to sell, and that is probably a good idea. But they exist.

Why, I have no idea.

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Ideally, the waitress/barmaid should have a fairly recent headwound.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

Mr. Viking wrote:what about the dank?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0Fbzz1RyuA
Notice that prior to his conversion to a Family Restaurant, Moe didn't even own a fryer

FACT: Dives often don't even have kitchens, or if they do, they're non-functional
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk