Ambrose Bierce

Post your favorite quips of wino wisdom here.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Palinka (RIP)

Ambrose Bierce

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Endlessly quotable: "Duck-bill, n, Your account at your restaurant or bar during the canvas-back season."
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Palinka (RIP)

Re: Ambrose Bierce

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

"Degenerate, adj. Less conspicuously admirable than one's ancestors. The contemporaries of Homer were striking examples of degeneracy; it took ten of them to raise a rock or riot that one of the heroes of the Trojan war could have raised with ease. Homer never tires of sneering at 'men who live in degenerate days', which is perhaps why they suffered him to beg his bread - a marked instance of returning good for evil, if they had forbidden him he would surely have starved."
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Barca

Post by Barca »

Ambrose Bierce's The Devil's Dictionary is in the public domain now so can be picked up online for free or close to free depending on how clean or efficient you want your hard or digital copy, and it should be de rigeur reading for all drunkards.

Oakley Hall also wrote a beautiful collection of fiction works starring Ambrose Bierce as himself solving mysteries in turn-of-the-century San Francisco. To be enjoyed.
Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. - Henry Lawson

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Indeed, to find a collection of Ambrose Bierce's public domain works (including The Devil's Dictionary), click here. All good Modern Drunkards should be familar with the misanthropic wit and wisdom of Ambrose Bierce.
ドロンケン
ImageImage