Animal Rights

This is where you let you can let it all hang out.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, One for the Frog, Frankennietzsche

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Animal Rights

Post by GSG »

Can an animal have rights when it has no responsibilities? Do we have a duty to treat animals well? If so, why?

My students are doing a unit on the treatment of animals and they've just seen an intensive chicken farm on telly. Their opinions on the matter range from 'it's not ideal but I like chicken so I'll get over it' to 'I never want to eat chicken again'. I'd be interested to know your opinions, and I should think my class would too. Those of you who have gleaned my political and ethical leanings from other threads on this forum can probably guess at my own feelings on this topic. However, I am not a vegetarian (any more).
"Spiny norman wins on the bizzare terror stakes, if you haven't been stared at by a 40-foot hedgehog, you haven't lived." - Saltandgin

"Every time you don't get loaded, the terrorists win." - massivedrunk

WWDJFD?

Palinka (RIP)

Re: Animal Rights

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

That is why one should always go to an ethical butcher (not that I am going for the "meat is murder" angle).
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

Animals have the right to be delicious!
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

l...
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by l... »

frankennietzsche wrote:Image

Animals have the right to be delicious!

ha!:)
That's what I call Drunkard justice. I hate prisses like that. They're mincing their way through life when they should be marching. ~fkr.

I wish i could find me a woman who drinks!~ruiner..on lack of women drinkers.

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Rather than concern myself thinkng of where the wing came from I'll spend my time wondering if I would like it in the mango habanero sauce.

I've killed my own meal before. Have you?
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

ThirstyDrunk wrote:Rather than concern myself thinkng of where the wing came from I'll spend my time wondering if I would like it in the mango habanero sauce.

I've never even killed fish that I've eaten before (not for lack of trying, I'm just very bad at fishing). Hunting is more regulated here, you need permission notes and licences and things. Would be quite happy to go for rabbits though.

I'm happy so long as the animals haven't been treated cruelly. So I would try and buy UK pork for example, because we have high welfare standards. Sometimes I do think it is a bit unfair that these animals are farmed, and their sole purpose is to make copies of themselves or be killed at their most tender. But then I think that life is unfair. And that life for a domesticated animal must be a lot less stressfull than life in the wild, unless of course someone is being deliberately cruel to them.
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by GSG »

ThirstyDrunk wrote: I've killed my own meal before. Have you?
Yes. Now back to the original question.
"Spiny norman wins on the bizzare terror stakes, if you haven't been stared at by a 40-foot hedgehog, you haven't lived." - Saltandgin

"Every time you don't get loaded, the terrorists win." - massivedrunk

WWDJFD?

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

I love animals, especially the cute and/or funny ones. bujt as long as someone else will grind an animal into an edible patty i prefer not to think of the slaughter part and i just eat em with sauce
I know some vegeatables who are completely agianst the whole "frying" thing. Rather deaded than breaded is their slogan.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

ThirstyDrunk wrote:Rather than concern myself thinkng of where the wing came from I'll spend my time wondering if I would like it in the mango habanero sauce.

Indeed.

Flesh from an animal that has died in fright will taste gamey. It's the adrenaline in the muscles.

(Do Not Read Further)

When you have a bead on him, pull the trigger only if the creature is at pause, like in repose, or drinking water.

If you can drop the animal with a single shot, and then get to it fast enough to put him out of pain with another shot or the knife to the throat, that is respectful.

Chasing a wounded prey is horrible for everyone involved; no one wants to die that way.

His flesh will not be good to eat.

After you have dropped your beast, eviscerate it immediately, but do not open the digestive system up or you may poison everythign..

The trachea is the hardest part to snip on a bear, a deer, or especially a moose, because you will be reaching way up inside.

Do not wear your tuxedo for this.

Be respectful and offer tobacco on the ground and a prayer of thank you for the creature who has given his life for your sustenance.

Always talk proud of the animal afterwards, whenever you mention it.

Get your flesh to a butcher with cold storage and proper draining and aging.

Moose meat tastes like Kobi Beef when done in this manner.

No game, and it's a vegan as well.

Also, the heart is most tender of all.

Animals for food must always be treated right.

Animal rights, yup.

You have the right to taste well on my suppah plate.

Can we drink now? ---peetie44
At rock bottom, there is no down. ---The Oett
^ ^ ^ Yes his entire cutlery set and all utensils are made from assorted broken bottles.--- The Artful Detective
Just remember Hugh: a good cocktail in a shitty glass is better that a shitty cocktail in a pretty glass.---The Badfellow
I'll buy the first round if you promise to stop being a cunt. --- Dear Booze

Bur
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Bur »

I believe if manatees found themselves on the same level of civilization as us, they too would prioritize their own rights and advantages.

One for the Frog

Post by One for the Frog »

I cut down chicken heads with an axe at the age of 9.

Bluespook
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Bluespook »

i grew up on a "factory" farm. My folks hand at one time about half a million chickens at different places around illinois. The place i grew up at had about 60,000 birds in a chicken house the size of a football field. The thing about chickens, and i'm talking laying hens here, not meat chickens, is that when they are under stress or their diet or conditions are poor, they won't lay eggs. Chickens like to be close to each other, it makes them feel safe. They like a good diet and the light and temperature to be well regulated. They produce excellent eggs and lots of them under the right conditions. First thing in the morning, after the lights come on, (they are on a timer) they actually sing. No shit, it sounds like a medium pitch tone with a bit of a vibration to it. Think of it sounding like a lower pitch tree frog. 60,000 birds, all singing at once. Been over 20 years and i can still hear it. They weren't treated badly, aside from being caged up, and the proof is in the production. We didn't mistreat them in any way and their peak laying cycle only lasted about 9 months, after which they were shipped off to the chicken soup cannery and a new flock was brought in. I can't speak for any other hen houses, but ours sure seemed happy, contrary to what the peta people and other groups will tell you.
Beer's just being social. Whiskey's drinkin'.

Resident Asshole

Post by Resident Asshole »

As to the "why should we be nice to them", for myself it's because the Bible says to be nice to them. That doesn't mean we can't eat them though. There's a big difference between killing to eat and torturing for fun.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

Bur wrote:I believe if manatees found themselves on the same level of civilization as us, they too would prioritize their own rights and advantages.
Manatees!?...THOSE BASTARDS!
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

Girlie
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Girlie »

Not completely related to your question, but somewhat so...

We have a friend who is a pretty accomplished hunter. Last year he posted something on Facebook about butchering deer meat and I expressed interest in helping in any future butchering. He sent me a message a few days ago to let me know that deer season opens September 14th and that he'd be having a butchering within a few days after any success and asked if we'd like to help. Of course, I said yes. I mentioned it to my son as well so he can join us and get a new appreciation for how meat becomes food. He's in.

I think if one eats meat, you should have a respect for the life that was ended for your nourishment. That, and as humane a death as possible, are the rights that I support.