Drunkenness as a spiritual experience; alcohol-as-entheogen

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Absinthe
Souse
Souse

Drunkenness as a spiritual experience; alcohol-as-entheogen

Post by Absinthe »

"An entheogen ("generating the divine within") is a psychoactive substance used in a religious, shamanic, or spiritual context. Entheogens can supplement many diverse practices for transcendence, and revelation, including meditation, psychonautics, psychedelic and visionary art, psychedelic therapy, and magic."

I find that the state of being truly hammered, and even the residual hangover, are sometimes blissfully spiritual experiences. Ethyl alcohol opens my mind to the possibility of everything being joyous and slovenly at the same time. It erases polarities and you find the world both a place of great beauty and ugliness in this state. You are a blissful idiot, embracing life a joyous mess. Alcohol, to me, can be and is many things... but in this case it's a spiritual/mystical compound that presents itself in a myriad of manifestations. The processes of brewing and distillation (esp. distillation) have backgrounds in alchemy... in the alchemists' search for the pure essence of all matter and the philosopher's stone. It must've been hilarious that instead of finding the essence of existence they got something that exposed them to existence's enormity and beauty!

There were a number of Japanese Zen Buddhist poets who wandered the island nation and drank sake in a "Zen" manner. Similarly, in Tibet, certain Vajrayana Buddhist practices include the ingestion of small quantities of alcohol (called amrita) in a ritual known as tsok or ganachakra. And of course wine is half of the sacrament of Christianity.

For me absinthe specifically has had positive spiritual and creative benefits. I love the stuff. It's just A+-fucking awesome guys.

Does anyone else feel that booze, lush, ethanol, alcohol, what have you can be a spiritual, or at least creative/artistic tool?
"Bacchus opens the gate of the heart."
— Homer

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: Drunkenness as a spiritual experience; alcohol-as-entheo

Post by Patchez »

Jim Morrison seemed to agree.

Why do I drink?
So that I can write poetry.

Sometimes when it’s all spun out
and all that is ugly recedes
into a deep sleep
There is an awakening
and all that remains is true.
As the body is ravaged
the spirit grows stronger.

Forgive me Father for I know
what I do.
I want to hear the last Poem
of the last Poet.

--Jim Morrison.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Absinthe
Souse
Souse

Re: Drunkenness as a spiritual experience; alcohol-as-entheo

Post by Absinthe »

I like Bukowski's poem:

stay with the beer.

beer is continuous blood.

a continuous lover.
"Bacchus opens the gate of the heart."
— Homer

vyfynu
Tippler
Tippler

Re: Drunkenness as a spiritual experience; alcohol-as-entheogen

Post by vyfynu »

The drinker is one of the major shifts for the individuals. The whole scheme of the https://youtu.be/eEqs5MtV7Iw essay service is performed for the use of the tools for the future strings.

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

vyfynu wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:10 am
The drinker is one of the major shifts for the individuals. The whole scheme of the eating Crow vs. eating heart out and wishing is been there bankrupt video tutorials .com is performed for the use of the tools for the future strings.
Silly String® or super string theory? I can converse in both fields. Future strings sounds like fun. Are you from the future and that's why you talk funny? It's like all roboticky and shit.
Is time travel in both directions? I can travel through time in only one direction, and it takes a few seconds to travel a few seconds.
Does your time travel come in a spray can and you can get it in people's eyes and hair?
You Aussies sure are up to something these days. Color me impressed.
Time for some drinking.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

The ultimate sublime of life is drinking and writing. Poems, stories, even essays where you tell people what they should and shouldn't do. But I have to be completely honest - after a few hours of drinking, the writing becomes crap and just has to be thrown away.

I wonder if Jim Morrison ever woke up the next morning and wondered who wrote all this crap by the typewriter? Because many Saturday mornings I wake up and wonder who broke into my apartment and wrote a half dozen weird fucking poems, only to leave them in my printer tray.

You wannna make it extra-spiritual? After the tenth glass of wine, eat a couple of Benadryl. I think this is what peyote users are after.