Drawing the Line

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Dear Booze
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Drawing the Line

Post by Dear Booze »

I recently ran into a few old friends that I knew back in college. I was drinking at a dive bar called Mick’s Traditional Irish and playing dice with a few of the regulars. I exchanged a few formal pleasantries and wanted to get back to my game. A round of drinks were on the line for Christsake. But these old schoolmates really wanted to chat me up. It was nice to see them, but I didn’t give two shits about their little kids or their jobs or where they live or what they drive. I just didn’t care.

One of them took out his cell phone and placed a call. “We’re slumming it at Mick’s, just like the old days,” he said in a voice too loud for my sensibilities. “You’ll never guess who we just ran into… no really… just guess…” Then he took a picture with his phone and, I assume, sent it to whoever the fuck he was talking to.

I turned back to my game, my drink, and my still burning cigarette. And they looked at me as if I was a bum or a hobo or some masturbating mental patient begging for change. Again, I didn’t care about what they thought and I don’t care about what they think.

They had a couple of beers each and started getting ready to leave. Still being polite, I asked if I could buy them another round. “No thanks,” one of them responded. “I gotta draw the line somewhere.”

Somewhere in my mid 20’s, I came to the realization that life would be immeasurably better if I ceased to take it seriously. Oh sure, there are responsibilities that we all have to tend to. But keeping those responsibilities at a manageable level is what I sought. Anything beyond my basic needs would require serious work, in which I was not interested. This conscious decision granted me the luxury of living without fear and the burden of being subjected to constantly fighting for something better.

I had a short-list of “must haves”. For example, I didn’t want to be homeless, I hated having roommates, I needed a car, I had to eat, and I wanted to spend as much time drinking as possible. That was my baseline. If I could accomplish and maintain a lifestyle that provided those things, I could live pretty well. What I didn’t care about was cable TV, going out to nice dinners, fancy clothes, travel, and owning my own home. All of those things would require more work, energy and attention than what I felt would make an even trade. My sweat currency was more valuable than any of those things. Getting fucked over while making any purchase always makes me unhappy and unable to fully enjoy the new item or service which I just paid for. So I kept it simple and remained happy.

I worked as a bartender. I worked late, drank late, slept late and repeated this every single day. My friends all followed this same routine. It was a blast.

“Drawing the line” is something people often do… or, at least they say it. “That’s where I draw the line…” But, there is no honest way to explain what the “line” really is because the only people who really know what (and where) it is are the ones who have stepped over. I have stepped over, danced around and wiped my ass on the “line”. I know where it is, what it’s made of, and how it feels.
Last edited by Dear Booze on Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
DRINK!

Bobby Stout
Booze Head
Booze Head

Re: Drawing the Line

Post by Bobby Stout »

That's one damn fine inspirational post.

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

I have never seen the point in "drawing the line". Indeed, I am often the last to leave (often with some carry out booze).
As NYDingbat's signature quotes, "If you don't drink, then all your stories suck and end with, "and then I went home."".
"Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die!" (if you want an attribution, look here).
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Miklo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Miklo »

well said Booze.
Life is to short to draw lines.
“And in my mind, this settles the issue. I would never drink cologne, and am therefore not an alcoholic.”
― Augusten Burroughs

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

Through the years, I have managed to refine my list of “must haves” without sacrificing my personal values. I still don’t give a shit about most things that most people care about. But there are a few things that I have added to my list. For example, I love to travel to different places and drink. I’m not sure if there is a name for this, but I call it alco-tourism. I feel that you can really get to know a culture by drinking with the locals, not by visiting monuments and fancy restaurants.

This is my "line". I'll cross it whenever and wherever I want.
DRINK!

Resident Asshole

Post by Resident Asshole »

Drinking in foreign countries is on my list of favorites.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

Resident Asshole wrote:Drinking in foreign countries is on my list of favorites.
I'll drink to that!
DRINK!

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

My top-10 drinking destinations have been (in no particular order):

Chicago, IL
Puerto Vallarta, MEX
Sacramento, CA
Reno, NV
Saint Louis, MO
Dallas, TX
Nashville, TN
Barcelona, Spain
Ensenada, MEX
Baltimore, MD
DRINK!

Oggar
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Oggar »

I recommend Denver the air is thin and the drinks are cheap.
I can't write like Papa, you know I just ain't able
But if he came in here tonight, I'd drink him under the table -Ronny Elliott

RIP Mayhem, as long as I have a heart you are in it.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Dear Booze wrote:My top-10 drinking destinations have been (in no particular order):

Chicago, IL
Puerto Vallarta, MEX
Sacramento, CA
Reno, NV
Saint Louis, MO
Dallas, TX
Nashville, TN
Barcelona, Spain
Ensenada, MEX
Baltimore, MD
I live just north of the last one on the list. Should you chose to revisit, please get in touch.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Oh... and I've often "drawn the line". It starts out nice and straight... almost always ends up crooked as hell.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

Patchez wrote:Oh... and I've often "drawn the line". It starts out nice and straight... almost always ends up crooked as hell.
This.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

You know it had to be done.

I stagger all over the line, officers be damned

Can we drink now? ---peetie44
At rock bottom, there is no down. ---The Oett
^ ^ ^ Yes his entire cutlery set and all utensils are made from assorted broken bottles.--- The Artful Detective
Just remember Hugh: a good cocktail in a shitty glass is better that a shitty cocktail in a pretty glass.---The Badfellow
I'll buy the first round if you promise to stop being a cunt. --- Dear Booze

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

Dear Booze wrote:My top-10 drinking destinations have been (in no particular order):

Chicago, IL
Puerto Vallarta, MEX
Sacramento, CA
Reno, NV
Saint Louis, MO
Dallas, TX
Nashville, TN
Barcelona, Spain
Ensenada, MEX
Baltimore, MD
Nashville & not Memphis? Interesting. Chicago & St. Louis are definitely on my list.

My favourite drinking destination is Osaka, Japan. There's so much to love. Alcohol vending machines. Amused tolerance of public drunkeness. Drinking on trains is not only allowed, on long distance trains it's socially acceptable. All drinking establishments offer good food, usually at reasonable prices, sometimes free. Many bars are run by passionate drunks. Although beer is taxed to a level comparable to other developed countries, most other alcohol is damn cheap. You can often buy liquor at a convenience store cheaper than you would duty free elsewhere. Last but not least, in Osaka there are tens of thousands of drinking establishments. In Japan there is a a saying - a Kyotoite will bankrupt himself buying fine kimonos, but an Osakan will bankrupt himself eating & drinking. Some bars have less than half a dozen seats & don't open until midnight when the owner gets off his other job. Others have multiple floors & are open 24/7. Many have no seats so they can avoid the seat tax & offer bottle store prices. In Osaka there is another saying - people from Tokyo will boast "this was so expensive", people from Osaka will boast "this was so cheap".

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by booznik »

Dear Booze wrote:I had a short-list of “must haves”. For example, I didn’t want to be homeless, I hated having roommates, I needed a car, I had to eat, and I wanted to spend as much time drinking as possible. That was my baseline. If I could accomplish and maintain a lifestyle that provided those things, I could live pretty well. What I didn’t care about was cable TV, going out to nice dinners, fancy clothes, travel, and owning my own home. All of those things would require more work, energy and attention than what I felt would make an even trade. My sweat currency was more valuable than any of those things...
Hey Casual Binger, thanks for resurrecting this one! Some fine drunkard wisdom in the first post. And I liked your description of Osaka. Awesome.

Dear Booze,

(sounds like a letter, doesn't it)

These are the noble values of a certain kind of Modern Drunkard, which just happens to resemble me. Like martial artists, we all have different styles, but this particular one works for me. In my own case, it was important that I spend as much time drinking well as possible, for I wanted to explore the rainbow of Ethyl flavors.

The journey continues.

Cheers to all the Modern Drunkardists, whatever your style may be.
"Booznik. Smooth, classy and manatee-like." --Bur

"Oh, you've been reading your Sir Kenelm Digby, haven't you? Stick to the mead recipes, especially that of the Mayor of Moscovy. That shizz is SACK!!!" --Badfellow

"Now stop and DRINK! bastards." --mistah willies

"A stand alone place for booze is as essential for a home, as is a bed to sleep on." --Miklo