An Asshat Writes...

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Rooster
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

An Asshat Writes...

Post by Rooster »

Shuttled away and then locked. I shouldn't expect anything less.

I spent some time actually drinking with and talking with some of our departed members before they shuffled off this mortal coil. The direction that the Modern Drunkards have taken is sad. Instead of a celebration of drinking, it's an endless cycle of unfulfilled grief.

DJF and I, and Skot and Louie, with JohnnyT, hit up his favorite stripclub not long before he died. We crushed that place. Louie choked a stripper. It was an epic night. One for the magazine if it was still published. Then he died... but not before a night that will go down in infamy.
Tony and I got kicked out of the Denver Con because we were shithoused and he convinced me to bring a half-dozen pizzas to the event. FKR got kicked out of his own event not long after and we all, amongst many others, shared pies in the gutter to the theater.

I made my comment that got a shit-storm of negative comments and changed my name because I was ashamed of what we've become. I am ashamed. I didn't think that the grief that was expressed actually lived up to the people for whom the grief was expressed. I felt that there was a lot of ham-fisting. I think that there is a lot of ham-fisting. I knew DJF and Tony, and they wouldn't have wanted these eulogies. Instead of hoisting them up as heroes, we've lamented them as victims.

I ask this question of you: What happened to post, post often, and post drunk?
What happened to accepting that people would take that to heart, even if you didn't agree with what they had to say?

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: An Asshat Writes...

Post by Savage »

I came to this forest, many moons ago. Strangely enough, I still live, though for how long, who knows? I miss our titans, and wonder who is next. (prob. me?)
like tears in rain

l...
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by l... »

i live w/ someone from mdm. tony was my best friend. i cry almost every day about it. meggie gave me a locket w/ tim's ashes. that's love. that is all i have to say.
That's what I call Drunkard justice. I hate prisses like that. They're mincing their way through life when they should be marching. ~fkr.

I wish i could find me a woman who drinks!~ruiner..on lack of women drinkers.

l...
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by l... »

oh and for real. they were the best,
That's what I call Drunkard justice. I hate prisses like that. They're mincing their way through life when they should be marching. ~fkr.

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by GSG »

Louie choked a stripper? Kinda hoping that one's a euphemism...
"Spiny norman wins on the bizzare terror stakes, if you haven't been stared at by a 40-foot hedgehog, you haven't lived." - Saltandgin

"Every time you don't get loaded, the terrorists win." - massivedrunk

WWDJFD?

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

I also knew both DJF and Mayhem (or Tim and Tony, if you prefer). I talked with them a great deal on the telephone and spent a week (that for the life of me, I cannot quite recall; except for the occasion of Tim slipping me a shot of Everclear, which thinking it was vodka, I necked; a memory which is imprinted upon me for life) with Tim and Megan, shortly after their wedding. And a great deal of time with Tony at Cons 1 & 3 (Tony was at my wedding). Given that I live in Europe, staying in touch was not cheap but was a pleasure beyond mere money.
I have to say that I believe that they would like us to remember them and to gather together to share drinks and tales about them and their antics. I simply fail to see how we are painting them as victims. We are mourning the loss of good drinking buddies (which could be viewed as selfish, I suppose; were one cynical enough or lacking in basic empathy) and celebrating the good times that we were lucky enough to have spent with them.
As for your remark about The Magazine no longer being published, I think that you'll find that it is, FKR has taken a little time away from it in order to enjoy his new family. In the meantime, there is a dedicated MDM channel on YouTube and a host of podcasts to enjoy. A new edition will, I am assured, be forthcoming.
In the end, Rooster, the World neither revolves around you nor does it dance to your tune. Might I suggest that you become part of the solution, by submitting as many articles as you can, instead of bitching about it no longer being 2005?
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

l...
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by l... »

fuck yes. FUCK YES. palinka, i think after years (albeit not 2005 ;)) . i think this is the post you have written that i am most respectful of. thank you. and i am drinking bourbon right now. and i can honestly say that the ppl that i have met through mdm have been my best. case fucking closed. and i mean that in a GREAT way. i love you. and if i'm mourning a friends death...fuck off.

Surreal
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Surreal »

Rooster:

I don't get the comment re: lamented as victims. I didn't have the pleasure of meeting DJF, but I spoke w/ Tony a bit and spent an afternoon and evening drinking with him at the Toad and the area bars covering topics far and wide as we traded drinks. He was a friend. I've taken the comments of folks here as expressions of loss and sadness vs. expressions of unfulfilled grief as you indicate. My grief or sense of loss isn't unfulfilled. It is palpable and real.

As I've said to others, of all the magnificent bastards, Tony was one of the most magnificent. To lose that very real and palpable friendship is a blow. It isn't something that is easy to share with others because they wouldn't understand the bond that we had with Tony.

His passing has motivated this group to come together, not because we are ashamed of what we've become, but because we're proud of the friendships that were forged here and hold dear the memory of one man who was instrumental in the process that led to the coming together of those same friendships and connections. I think Tony would be both proud and embarrassed by all the attention.

I don't see what was written here as a eulogy. It seemed to be folks expressing loss and at the same time hoisting Tony up as a hero by talking about the times they had with him. Times that because of his presence in their lives were heroic in nature. I didn't see it as ham-fisted, clumsy or heavy-handed attempts to post and be heard. Rather, it was people posting, people who may not post as often as they once did, people who'd been drinking since they heard the news and should be excused if their drunk posting was seen as ham-fisted.

Tony was a hero. Tony was a friend. I wouldn't be making plans to come east if he was anything but.

I don't agree with what you had to say Rooster. I've had a few. I'm posting.

But despite the lack of agreement, I'd drink with you or any of the lot of you any day of the week.

Cheers to my hero.

Cheers to Mayhem.
fuck em man, it ain't easy walkin the righteous path.
- Hoss

Screwball
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.
Location: A half foot away from a cat's nutsack. I Gotta get the DevilKat Fixed!

Post by Screwball »

Surreal wrote:Rooster:

I don't get the comment re: lamented as victims. I didn't have the pleasure of meeting DJF, but I spoke w/ Tony a bit and spent an afternoon and evening drinking with him at the Toad and the area bars covering topics far and wide as we traded drinks. He was a friend. I've taken the comments of folks here as expressions of loss and sadness vs. expressions of unfulfilled grief as you indicate. My grief or sense of loss isn't unfulfilled. It is palpable and real.

As I've said to others, of all the magnificent bastards, Tony was one of the most magnificent. To lose that very real and palpable friendship is a blow. It isn't something that is easy to share with others because they wouldn't understand the bond that we had with Tony.

His passing has motivated this group to come together, not because we are ashamed of what we've become, but because we're proud of the friendships that were forged here and hold dear the memory of one man who was instrumental in the process that led to the coming together of those same friendships and connections. I think Tony would be both proud and embarrassed by all the attention.

I don't see what was written here as a eulogy. It seemed to be folks expressing loss and at the same time hoisting Tony up as a hero by talking about the times they had with him. Times that because of his presence in their lives were heroic in nature. I didn't see it as ham-fisted, clumsy or heavy-handed attempts to post and be heard. Rather, it was people posting, people who may not post as often as they once did, people who'd been drinking since they heard the news and should be excused if their drunk posting was seen as ham-fisted.

Tony was a hero. Tony was a friend. I wouldn't be making plans to come east if he was anything but.

I don't agree with what you had to say Rooster. I've had a few. I'm posting.

But despite the lack of agreement, I'd drink with you or any of the lot of you any day of the week.

Cheers to my hero.

Cheers to Mayhem.

I'd listen to him. He's pre-med.

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

Isn't this a re-post?
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

When can we get together? Our diminishing numbers frighten one. It has been too long, too long, since our last mass-meetup.
like tears in rain

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Resident Asshole »

We are getting together, in just over 4 months.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

steved2112
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by steved2112 »

We should just have a numeric system for "the board ain't what it used to be" posts, so instead of "none of the old crowd comes around anymore," we can just post "3." Or instead of "you've all gone soft," we can post "5."

I'm just making these numbers up. We can decide later what numbers stand for which threadbare rants about descending quality of content here. Let's just get a system in place, and we can flesh out the details later.

Just kidding Rooster I see your point but change is inevitable and there's a lot of great folks here nevertheless. I mean, "8."
I feel like I;' Typing down hill.
-F. Sott Blitzedgerald

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

Of course, we all know what a #6 is!
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

Duluoz
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Duluoz »

Twenty dollars, same as in town.
"My witness is the empty sky."