Ironweed

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Shane-O-Matic
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Ironweed

Post by Shane-O-Matic »

First off, sorry for posting. I do it too often and I promise that I will do it less often - and undrunk - in the future.

After a long week of hard work, I met my father for a few quiet drinks. We went to a quiet pub with a friend of my father's who is barely the fair side of 90; a consummate Irish gentleman who didn't start drinking until the age of 23 and, in his words, "hasn't stopped since." In addition, we ran into his friend, another Irish gentleman in his eighth decade. Whiskey was favoured over beer, but no one complained when the barmaids served us both.

The pub that we visited, as it turns out, was a social hub for generations past and is inhabited by the ghosts of the departed friends of my father and his friend. Bossing the realm is a network of people, known chiefly for their character and ability to consume great amounts of alcohol and raise a healthy family at the same time, despite severe financial constraints.

These words are neither mine nor those of those I drank with. Instead, I have chosen to transcribe the evening in words that seem to best portray the situation. Every one of us has been here. It's just not always that easy to remember it.

I took the title of this post from the great book by William Kennedy. Would recommend it to everyone.

This post only scratches the surface of what was a terrific night, but, hopefully, it gives a glimpse into the fantastic crowd I have been born into. I know that you guys can understand this because the MDMers I have drank with have been of the best.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Ironweed

Post by oettinger »

Shane let me tell you first, glad that you had a great night out with the wise ones.
Second, how awesome it is to be drinking in your ancestors stonehenge where they were able to count rise and down of sun by the empty glasses!
Third, post too much, excuse me? Ever been to the chasist? That is it and so much more
Drink!

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by booznik »

Great story and some poetic wisdom there, Mr. O-Matic. To appreciate the rich history and ghosts associated with a place like that is to be at one with your surroundings.
"Booznik. Smooth, classy and manatee-like." --Bur

"Oh, you've been reading your Sir Kenelm Digby, haven't you? Stick to the mead recipes, especially that of the Mayor of Moscovy. That shizz is SACK!!!" --Badfellow

"Now stop and DRINK! bastards." --mistah willies

"A stand alone place for booze is as essential for a home, as is a bed to sleep on." --Miklo

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

I learned pub etiquette from my Grandpa and his pals. Man, those old boys new how to put it away.

Interesting sidenote, "Ironweed" is the name of a movie (starring Jack Nicholson and Meryl Streep), about the lowside of life, that has some great drinking scenes. It's definitely worth watching.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

Palinka wrote: Interesting sidenote, "Ironweed" is the name of a movie (starring Jack Nicholson and Meryl Streep), about the lowside of life, that has some great drinking scenes. It's definitely worth watching.
There's a sexy shower scene in it, from what I hear.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"