warm beer

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

warm beer

Post by Mr. Viking »

trust me, you don't know what you're missing.

there is nothing quite like a frosty cold lager on a hot day, but on the same stroke, there is absolutely nothing to match a foamy, smooth, slightly warm pint overflowing with the flavours one usually ignores, pulled up from the living barrel, different every day and every taste yet always good, thanks to vigilant barstaff
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: warm beer

Post by mistah willies »

I've never had the opportunity to taste a pour from a warm keg of good stuff. It was during my youth, when we pimped a pony of some cheap stuff that was probably pasteurized anyway, and we couldn't wait to have BEER, so we began drinking off it even before the ice had any effect, in that trash can inwhich sat the little keg (appropopos, perhapos).

But I HAvE actually acquired the enjoyment of beer at ambient temp because of finding some in a stash when I'd thought I'd run out (rookie move: Never Fuckign Run Out. Plan Ahead!) and fuck waiting for it to get ice cold.

Warm beer releases some notes that I wasn't aware of at much lower temps. These are very interesting indeed
Can we drink now? ---peetie44
At rock bottom, there is no down. ---The Oett
^ ^ ^ Yes his entire cutlery set and all utensils are made from assorted broken bottles.--- The Artful Detective
Just remember Hugh: a good cocktail in a shitty glass is better that a shitty cocktail in a pretty glass.---The Badfellow
I'll buy the first round if you promise to stop being a cunt. --- Dear Booze

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

As a rule I try to avoid drinking any beer that comes with the recommendation that it should be drank ice cold. They are trying to hide something. Usually shitty taste.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Patchez wrote:As a rule I try to avoid drinking any beer that comes with the recommendation that it should be drank ice cold. They are trying to hide something. Usually shitty taste.
Try the ones that say: Enjoy warm, never drink cold.

Coffee beer perhaps? Ewww
Drink!

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by booznik »

The English are often criticized/stereotyped as drinking warm beer, but they simply have a longer history of drinking it, and know that ales should be served warmer than lagers.

Some of the best beer I've ever had was drunk out of plastic cup at a college tailgate party. It was local craft brewed ale in a big glass growler that had warmed up slightly in the blazing sun, but was still cool in temperature.

Sure, the party atmosphere helped, but that ale was delicious.
"Booznik. Smooth, classy and manatee-like." --Bur

"Oh, you've been reading your Sir Kenelm Digby, haven't you? Stick to the mead recipes, especially that of the Mayor of Moscovy. That shizz is SACK!!!" --Badfellow

"Now stop and DRINK! bastards." --mistah willies

"A stand alone place for booze is as essential for a home, as is a bed to sleep on." --Miklo

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

booznik wrote:The English are often criticized/stereotyped as drinking warm beer, but they simply have a longer history of drinking it, and know that ales should be served warmer than lagers.

Some of the best beer I've ever had was drunk out of plastic cup at a college tailgate party. It was local craft brewed ale in a big glass growler that had warmed up slightly in the blazing sun, but was still cool in temperature.

Sure, the party atmosphere helped, but that ale was delicious.
Me thinks that warm stuff (anything really) out of plastic is even worse than out of glass. Might be cause the cheapest of the cheap beer in germany is sold in plastic bottles and the bad taste is a million times worse when you can taste the bottle with it. That only happens when it`s warm of course
Drink!

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by booznik »

oettinger wrote: Me thinks that warm stuff (anything really) out of plastic is even worse than out of glass.
Agreed, and that's why it was a unusual, unexpected situation. That beer out of that plastic cup was excellent. No connoisseur would do that on purpose, but glasses aren't allowed at tailgate parties for safety reasons.

It helps that the beer spent VERY little time sitting in that plastic cup...

"Oh, you've been reading your Sir Kenelm Digby, haven't you? Stick to the mead recipes, especially that of the Mayor of Moscovy. That shizz is SACK!!!" --Badfellow

"A stand alone place for booze is as essential for a home, as is a bed to sleep on." --Miklo

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

I prefer beer chilled but I'll drink it warm if that is what's available.
But never EVER drink Cream Ale warm. That shit is capital D Disgusting.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

Though I've not been lately, I've had much experience drinking draft beer in UK pubs. These unrefrigerated beers have flavor profiles which are intended to be at their best when drawn from kegs kept at a particular bar's average cellar temperature. Therefore we Americans — accustomed to arctic-temp "brewskis" — tend to consider UK beer to be warm by comparison.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by booznik »

peetie44 wrote:...Therefore we Americans — accustomed to arctic-temp "brewskis" — tend to consider UK beer to be warm by comparison.
That's it in a nutshell.

Even the craft brewers here serve their beer too cold, because it's what their customers expect.There's nothing like a massive hop-attack West Coast IPA that's been allowed to rest a little and warm up a bit before polishing off.

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

as I said, I love cold beer too, but it;s a real way to kill off flavour with some. That and brainfreeze is crap
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Smatter Noguts
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Smatter Noguts »

Molson Golden in a warm can on a boat in a Canadian lake Walleye fishing.

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

Hand pulled is not really warm, though. The kegs are in the cellar where its cool. Warm is over 30 celcius, in my book. I can guarantee your Tetleys or whatever will taste shithouse then. Or maybe not. I think ive drunk sun warmed cans in the past, but i was drunk enough not to care.

But youre basically spot on. Theres a NZ beer called Steinlager. Its crap. Even its adherents admit it tastes like dishwater unless its ice cold. Which means it tastes like dishwater, at the end of the day. Stupid Aucklanders.

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

I once bought a six pack of Miller Genuine Draft, i think its called? It had a gizmo on the label that told when it was cold enough to drink. You had to stick it in the freezer n get it down to about 2 degrees for it to turn blue or do whatever it did that it did. You'd think you couldn't taste anything at that temp n you'd be right, but as far as i could tell, there wasn't any flavour to taste anyway. Probably nice if youre stuck in New Mexico in the middle of summer, though.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Trick question Binger, a beer is cocking so you need to drink it before all the alcohol evaporates. What do you do? Use a straw?

To make matters worse, it`s sunday and you are shaking tremendiously
Drink!