I have managed to lose a dear old friend

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Dear Booze
Drinking God's Good Scotch

I have managed to lose a dear old friend

Post by Dear Booze »

My beloved Zippo, which has been at my side during every epic drinking adventure for the past eighteen years, has disappeared.

We had great times together. Las Vegas, Reno, Dallas, Nashville, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Cancun, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Washington DC, and so many more places. It was with me when I visited famous sites and when I met famous people. It was with me during times of sorrow and during times of Joy. Hell, I’ve known that lighter longer than I’ve known my wife.

Unlike Hemmingway’s famous flask, my Zippo never had a name. I wish I would have thought about it earlier because it seems so disrespectful to just call it “My Lighter.” Kind of like the way it sounds when bikers and dirt-bags call their wives and girlfriends “My Old Lady.”

I know I can buy another. And perhaps I can find one exactly like mine. But it won’t be EXACTLY the same, will it?
DRINK!

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Re: I have managed to lose a dear old friend

Post by booznik »

DB, which one were you in when you lost it?

That'll narrow it down significantly.
"Booznik. Smooth, classy and manatee-like." --Bur

"Oh, you've been reading your Sir Kenelm Digby, haven't you? Stick to the mead recipes, especially that of the Mayor of Moscovy. That shizz is SACK!!!" --Badfellow

"Now stop and DRINK! bastards." --mistah willies

"A stand alone place for booze is as essential for a home, as is a bed to sleep on." --Miklo

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

And take a lot of fun out of the search.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

perhaps drunk memory is required. Not necessary to know which city. Simply remember how drunk you were, get that drunk and you're bound to remember. If that doesn't work, well, at least you'll be drunk
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

I wouldnt replace it, especially not with one exactly the same. Sometimes youve got to let go. You can rememember it better if you new lighter is different. The important thing is that you had good times with it. Hopefully you lost it having a good time? I had a zippo i got from my brother on my 21st with my initials engraved on it. I lost it a couple of times, but always found it again. Then i lost it for good, but it was on a momentous occasion, so i was a bit bummed, but ultimately ok with it. I thought of buying another, but over ten years later, havent gotten around to it. Maybe cause i no longer smoke. Hmmm. I think ive just talked myself into buying a zippo!

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

All right, my bad. Sorry. I'll mail it back to ya. jeez
Can we drink now? ---peetie44
At rock bottom, there is no down. ---The Oett
^ ^ ^ Yes his entire cutlery set and all utensils are made from assorted broken bottles.--- The Artful Detective
Just remember Hugh: a good cocktail in a shitty glass is better that a shitty cocktail in a pretty glass.---The Badfellow
I'll buy the first round if you promise to stop being a cunt. --- Dear Booze

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

mistah willies wrote:All right, my bad. Sorry. I'll mail it back to ya. jeez
Busted!
The 1000 bucks and the 25er chip also please, that was fun while it lasted
Drink!

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

oettinger wrote:
mistah willies wrote:All right, my bad. Sorry. I'll mail it back to ya. jeez
Busted!
The 1000 bucks and the 25er chip also please, that was fun while it lasted

Hey! You say too much. I mena, wait, whaaat? it wasn't me

Bet you thought I was gonna go all Shaggy on ya huh?

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

Okay. Here's what I remember... On Wednesday or Thursday, two weeks ago, I filled my Zippo with fluid. I always do this in the laundry room and leave it sitting on an old towel. Those of you who have fueld a Zippo and immediately shoved it in their pocket will quickly understand this ritual.

On Saturday, the wife and I rode our bikes down the trail, into Old Town for a late Mexican breakfast and the Week 2 NFL games. We ended up visiting a few bars and then one more on the way home. I can't remember coming home that day. And I can't remember if I had my lighter at any point during that day either.

The following Thursday evening was spent getting pretty drunk at a little place called Kimmie's. I know I smoked, but can't remember if I had my Zippo.

The next day, Friday, was spent playing golf in a tournament. There was lots of free beer and several after-round Captain & Cokes. Again, I remember smoking but can't remember if I had my Zippo.

My Saturday was spent as a volunteer bartender at a fundraising event and I remember smoking with a few other volunteers, but can't remember if I had my Zippo.

Finally, Sunday was going to be an epic drinking day. The wife and I were heading to a new "Gastro Pub/Tap House" for a late breakfast and the excitement of Week 3 of the NFL's action. During the break between Guinness and Rum, I reached into my pocket for my Zippo and... WHERE THE FUCK IS IT?
DRINK!

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

As far as the strange and terrible tale of getting burgled of $1000 and a $25 chip, I promise to make good on my promise to share this story soon... Quite frankly, I'm still trying to piece this one together.
DRINK!

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

well it's lost then. Get yourself an IMCO triplex so you have something similar, but different. You'll always rememebr your friend when you use it
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

Mr. Viking wrote:well it's lost then. Get yourself an IMCO triplex so you have something similar, but different. You'll always rememebr your friend when you use it
Thanks Viking. I wasn't familiar with the IMCO triplex, so I watched this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmcD5tu ... ata_player.

The narrator says something at about the 2:00 minute mark that makes this lighter attractive and intriguing.

Now I have to get one!

Thanks.
DRINK!

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

Dear Booze wrote:Okay. Here's what I remember... On Wednesday or Thursday, two weeks ago, I filled my Zippo with fluid. I always do this in the laundry room and leave it sitting on an old towel. Those of you who have fueld a Zippo and immediately shoved it in their pocket will quickly understand this ritual.

On Saturday, the wife and I rode our bikes down the trail, into Old Town for a late Mexican breakfast and the Week 2 NFL games. We ended up visiting a few bars and then one more on the way home. I can't remember coming home that day. And I can't remember if I had my lighter at any point during that day either.

The following Thursday evening was spent getting pretty drunk at a little place called Kimmie's. I know I smoked, but can't remember if I had my Zippo.

The next day, Friday, was spent playing golf in a tournament. There was lots of free beer and several after-round Captain & Cokes. Again, I remember smoking but can't remember if I had my Zippo.

My Saturday was spent as a volunteer bartender at a fundraising event and I remember smoking with a few other volunteers, but can't remember if I had my Zippo.

Finally, Sunday was going to be an epic drinking day. The wife and I were heading to a new "Gastro Pub/Tap House" for a late breakfast and the excitement of Week 3 of the NFL's action. During the break between Guinness and Rum, I reached into my pocket for my Zippo and... WHERE THE FUCK IS IT?
Damn, DB…that's a helluva time window and search field.

One-off events like the golf tourney and the fundraiser are gonna be tough to back-search.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

Username
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Username »

Dear Booze wrote: ...I can't remember coming home that day. And I can't remember if I had my lighter at any point during that day either.

...I know I smoked, but can't remember if I had my Zippo.

...Again, I remember smoking but can't remember if I had my Zippo.

...I remember smoking with a few other volunteers, but can't remember if I had my Zippo.

I reached into my pocket for my Zippo and... WHERE THE FUCK IS IT?
Doing it right
whistling (whistling) whistling (whistling) dark (dark) dark (dark)

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

Dear Booze wrote:
Mr. Viking wrote:well it's lost then. Get yourself an IMCO triplex so you have something similar, but different. You'll always rememebr your friend when you use it
Thanks Viking. I wasn't familiar with the IMCO triplex, so I watched this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmcD5tu ... ata_player.

The narrator says something at about the 2:00 minute mark that makes this lighter attractive and intriguing.

Now I have to get one!

Thanks.
I'm embarassed to find out that they have gone out of business. I also must have one. Suppose there's always fleabay