Bottle sizes

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Re: Bottle sizes

Post by Casual Binger »

In NZ flagons aka riggers traditionally half gallon so also known as half G. These days usually 2 litres fill your own beer n sometimes cider but some places do 2.5. Used to be everywhere with sherry n gin some places. Now mostly brewpubs, craft beer bottle shops n a few diehard suburban or country places doing mainstream beers.

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by booznik »

Mr. Viking wrote:Booznik, if you want, we can go further and introduce modern and archaic kegg/barrel sizes
Whaddaya firkin talkin' about?
"Booznik. Smooth, classy and manatee-like." --Bur

"Oh, you've been reading your Sir Kenelm Digby, haven't you? Stick to the mead recipes, especially that of the Mayor of Moscovy. That shizz is SACK!!!" --Badfellow

"Now stop and DRINK! bastards." --mistah willies

"A stand alone place for booze is as essential for a home, as is a bed to sleep on." --Miklo

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Resident Asshole »

I'm glad the gallon was brought up, I believe the only place you can buy that here is at duty-free shops, but I could be wrong.

One other thing, I grew up calling the 1.75L bottles "handles", but I've also heard other peopel refer to them as half-gallons, even though 1.75L is well short of a half gallon. Was there a half-gallon in the US at some point or is it just marketing to make us think we are getting more?
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

Resident Asshole wrote:I'm glad the gallon was brought up, I believe the only place you can buy that here is at duty-free shops, but I could be wrong.

One other thing, I grew up calling the 1.75L bottles "handles", but I've also heard other peopel refer to them as half-gallons, even though 1.75L is well short of a half gallon. Was there a half-gallon in the US at some point or is it just marketing to make us think we are getting more?
1 Could be a US thing, there are rules on the sizes that can be sold over there. In the Uk and Europe they are rare but can be bought in shops/bars

2 half gallon/1.75 you're right, there used to be half gallons but when the rule I mentioned in part 1 was brought in 1.75 was an allowed size and looked similar to the previous half gallon so still gets called that
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best