Looking for Advice from all you seasoned drinkers..

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

VIG44
Booze Head
Booze Head

Looking for Advice from all you seasoned drinkers..

Post by VIG44 »

Hey everyone! Just looking for some advice, I absolutely love drinking beer.. but I've had some struggles with the day after. I've been suffering from a lot of anxiety and feelings of depression the next day. I know many of you just keep drinking, which I do usually taper down with a few beers, but it's just not enjoyable for me at that point. I'm basically just waiting to feel 100% again and then it starts all over.. I understand that it's just my bodies reaction to getting all the chemical imbalances corrected and I try to keep that mind set that it will go away. Just looking for some advice on how you all handle your hangovers/withdrawals..

givemesomepils
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Re: Looking for Advice from all you seasoned drinkers..

Post by givemesomepils »

honestly, the way i got rid of the hangover feeling was by just deciding i like drinking.then thinking you know what if i do it every day i never feel a hangover. now i just seem to feel the relaxed, intoxicated, sociably effects of alcohol, and any hangover like feeling i have is cured by a glass of water and a little more booze

and really i'm happy with that. and anyone who says that's the wrong way to live hasn't tried it, or didn't stick in there.
i guess thats my answer
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." hunter s. thompson god rest his soul

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

The anxiety and depression usually has other roots, hangovers just bring them out in force. Find them and correct them. I quit the job I hated for example, finished my exam that I hated and really all of these feelings were gone. Oh and try to give your hangovers names and compare them to others you had, basically make fun about being totally trashed. Take it with a grin and always note to yourself: You are not alone, at the very moment thousands of us around the globe feel the exact same way.
I hope this helps somehow.
Drink!

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Also use the search function, there`s alot of hangover advice out there.
Try this for one: http://www.drunkard.com/bbs/viewtopic.p ... t=hangover
Drink!

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

I sleep a lot. If I can't sleep a lot I sleep as little as possible. Eat bacon sandwiches, crisps and drink fizzy drinks. THe ill feeling I think is often bad sleep and regret. Learn not to regret your actions and embrace your decisions. It will make you happier generally
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

Three words - metabolism, metabolism, metabolism! Go for a walk in the sunshine n put a spring in your step. Sing in the shower. Do some crazy, Kate Bush style interpretive dancing to your current favourite cheesy pop music. If you don't wanna get drunk, pretend you're drunk. Make a snowman n give it big tits. You get the picture. Chemical imbalances - schemical schmimschmalances! Are you master of your own destiny? Have you accepted ethanol as your personal saviour? The plot of many novels is sometimes described as man in hole. If you know that the hole has a bottom n another side you can career down n use the momentum to take you up n out again. Or you could just put your favourite movie on.

Rev. Dead Corpse
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Rev. Dead Corpse »

Wise drunks on this thread. Some damn good advise too...
<insert something profound here>

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Rev. Dead Corpse wrote:Wise drunks on this thread. Some damn good advise too...
True. Real Modern Drunkards grow with their drinking
Drink!

TheDrunkardAnglo
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by TheDrunkardAnglo »

I'm not at all seasoned. I'm like that shitty vodka which looks like it's air-dropped into third world countries but none the less I have three basic steps to deal with a hangover.

Step one: You were fucked last night. That's why you feel like a tired used old whore. You must acknowledge this.

Step two: Remember worst things happened to the Jews. Chin up.

Step three: Get out of your slumber, have a quick drink, take a shit, have a shower, take a piss in the shower (that's always fun), get dressed and go about your day.
Major Strasser: What is your nationality?
Rick: I'm a drunkard.
Captain Renault: That makes Rick a citizen of the world.

givemesomepils
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by givemesomepils »

oh yeah and try switching to maybe white liquor. the subject of hangover has been gone over a ton of times (i'm sure). but a real quality vodka that has been properly distilled (preferably at least 5 or 6 times at least) and filtered (a few times) doesn't seem to give me any problems compared to shit vodka liquor. the same goes for most bottom shelf vs like medium shelf liquors of every sort, for me at least. idk how well this translates to beer. my main point is quality does mean something sometimes. somewhat somewhere

edit: case and point i drank about a fifth of $3 vodka along with e&j the night wrote that and i am currently going through an amazing bad hangover i'm pretty sure someone broke into my house and threw up in my bed, or i did it, but i'm putting my money on the prior.
anyway the point is i don't seem to get sick at all if i buy something made with quality.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." hunter s. thompson god rest his soul

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

The quality rule only works with wine here in germany. Liquors, cheap or expensive are all the same. But what often killed my head the next morning in the past was drinking various spirits during one night. It`s almost like your brain can`t dail in on just one liquor, gets confused and will let you know next morning like an angry wife.
Oh and too much sugar mixed in in shitty cocktail bars is a great reciepe for some horrible headaches.
Drink!

givemesomepils
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by givemesomepils »

oettinger wrote:The quality rule only works with wine here in germany. Liquors, cheap or expensive are all the same. But what often killed my head the next morning in the past was drinking various spirits during one night. It`s almost like your brain can`t dail in on just one liquor, gets confused and will let you know next morning like an angry wife.
Oh and too much sugar mixed in in shitty cocktail bars is a great reciepe for some horrible headaches.
well really low quality liquor hasn't been made by the same standard of a good product,you just have to see what brands actually filter and distill multiple times with a good mash or whatever you call it, also lower quality liquor would be more likely to contain methanol, which we all know will fuck you up in a bad way,

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Bluto »

Vig,
Do take a look at things beyond booze that may be causing these feelings. Hangovers can certainly trigger some regret, but they do so have the ability to reinforce negative perceptions of one's self, position, and surroundings. Chances are those feelings already existed. No shame in dealing with those things. Do I it on your terms, if you can.
Now, the hangover itself. Deal with it. If you drink they will happen. Steal your reserve and build your constitution.
Certainly, being otherwise for helps. Get some exercise. On a regular basis and as much as posible while hungover. Force yourself to walk outside. The bite of cold air will wake you up and conversely warm sunshine will calm rattled nerves.
Drink water. Again, make this a part of daily routine. Water is god for you.
Eat, if you can. There are various studies that show eating may or may not affect hangovers. Some studies recommend certain foods over others. Find what you like and can handle. Nourishment will help your body repair itself. That is true whether your injuries are hangover induced or not.
Personally, I also like a few supplements. Milk thistle and vitamin are the popular ones. As all things above they should be taken regu8. Tell your doctor if you are taking them. In addition to those, thojfh, I recommend sea buckthorn. That, as well as all the above is personal opinion. Do with it what you will.
And while you're at it let's have a beer.

cheers

-Bluto
Going to happy hour and not drinking is like going to an orgy and masturbating. You just took a great idea and turned it into a circle jerk. -Sixpack595

rclark
Tippler
Tippler

Post by rclark »

I agree, as others have said, that the depression you speak of is probably not brought on by the hangovers themselves but has deeper causes. Definitely reevaluate that. If you're feeling good otherwise, a few hours of feeling groggy after a party shouldn't bring you down that much.

gede
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by gede »

Anxiety has been medically linked to hangover independent of other conditions. I get how you feel, not the depression but definitely the fear, palpitations and sweating. honestly only thing effective i've found without resorting to chemical cures is to get up and distract yourself w the activites of the day. Just don't stay paralysed in bed.