Convention

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Re: Convention

Post by Casual Binger »

Hi.

So, Friday night, kids are in bed, just bought a case of Sapporo. Incidentally, I'll be arriving in Sapporo eactly three weeks from now for the final weekend of Japans biggest summer beer fest.

But I digest. I've had an idea about paper cups n sly boozing. It's so simple I don't know why I never thought of it before. You just buy a big takeaway soda cup, open a can of beer, put the can in the cup, put the lid on, push the straw through the lid into the can. No leakage, no pouring, no worries. I have to try this out. I'll report back.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Casual Binger wrote:...push the straw through the lid into the can. No leakage, no pouring, no worries. I have to try this out. I'll report back.
But make sure the cup doesn`t slowly die down and all you are left with is a straw sucking air. Just a worst case scenario.
Your avatar though. Wow, I didn`t know that was your`s truly, very nice. I tried to remember some drinking personality to no avail, I mean I knew Palinka and Willies looked their Avatar`s way... Booznik to some degree also
Drink!

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

oettinger wrote:Your avatar though...
To be honest, I always thought that you looked a lot like Ethan Suplee (in a good way).

So take your pick from the images below:

If you want any further help or advice, please feel free to contact your local friendly neighbourhood moderator*.

*And always remember to completely ignore anything and everything that oettinger says!
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

Who, me? That's my name is Earls idiot brother, right? I'll make him my new avatar, when I get around to it. I dunno how to on an iPad, I'll have to use the laptop.

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

Turns out I can figure it out with the pad. How very 21st century of me.

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

So, to derail... Sapporo beer fest. Seems like there's a lot of alcohol related tourism up there. For starters the town is named after a famous beer. Boom boom! There's a beer museum, you have to pay. There's also a sake museum, which is basically a shop that does free samples. It opens at ten am, I checked. There's also Japans second oldest whisky distillery (Yoichi) outside of Otaru, where I'll be spending Tuesday night the week after next. They give out three free samples but apparently it based on an honesty system so I can push my luck. Did I mention that I'll be travelling by myself for the Hokkaido trip? Well, I am, so I'll be carefree for nine nights. I also spotted what appers to be a Tachinomiya in the main shotengai (shopping street, in this case as in many urban areas covered n pedestrian only) in Sapporo on Google street view. I'd show you but Apple doesn't like Google, so I can't. This is a liquor store that turns into a standing bar in the evening. Tachinomiya translates directly as standing drink shop. No seats means less tax so cheaper drinks. They're smoky but cheap n fun. I'm staying in a four star place in Susukino for three nights. I'm gunna get wrecked.

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Casual Binger wrote:... "They're smoky but cheap n fun. I'm staying in a four star place in Susukino for three nights. I'm gunna get wrecked."

We are all Earl's brother, but we do it in a better way.

Isn't that true?

Now don't forget to share images of your adventures in Sapporo for our thirsty eyes, young traveler.

DRINK!

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

I`ll try to stay at one of these "standing bars". See yah for breakfeast
Drink!

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

So... Convention. My only prep, apart from googling bars near the convention centre in south bank, was to purchase three 50ml bottles of spirits. Two smirnoffs n one chivas regal. Drive up was all good, parked the car just outside the brisbane central parking zone n walked to hoo ha bar, which advertises daytime drinking. There was a sign outside saying soup of the day is beer. Nice, but when I tried to order the glemorangie n porter boilermaker the friendly young hipster behind the bar told me they couldn't serve alcohol until 10am. Must be the law in the sunshine state. So, progressed to the convention, n damn it all it's table seating, not auditorium style. This is gunna make sly boozing more difficult. Still, pouring myself a whisky into a water glass n enjoying it looking over the mezzanine balcony is easy enough. Now that I'm registered I consider just ditching the whole thing n going to the pub, but if they don't serve untill ten I've still got an hour to kill. I grab a plastic drink bottle from the platinum sponsors stand because you never know, I could maybe fill it with wine.

I stick to my original plan, which is to duck out after the indroduction before the first presentation. Why? I dunno. I like to keep my options open. So although i take the seat nearest the door n soon disappear for through that door, there is still the option of returning, since I've established a presence, in my own mind at least. So I go the the QLD art gallery, but that doesn't open until ten either. What to do? Well, I've got two minis of vodka n a plastic drink bottle, so I empty them into the flask n go for a walk across the river to the city. I figure by the time I get there the bars will be open. I'm bored of typing now.

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

"A Coff of Cuppy" by "Popclip", for Nickelodeon
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

In the end I didn't stick around for the free drinks at the end. I returned for the most important, pre lunch presentation, but it seemed like a waste of time, so I departed, not to return

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Casual Binger wrote:In the end I didn't stick around for the free drinks at the end. I returned for the most important, pre lunch presentation, but it seemed like a waste of time, so I departed, not to return
Good
Drink!

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Did you make it back safely? Or did you succumb to the excellence?

gede
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by gede »

I don't get it, miniatures cost you a fortune down our way but you wouldn't get a bottle and mix in inconspicuous vessel at the ratio you prefer - i have no question mark key