I think i found a way to defeat vomiting

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Re: I think i found a way to defeat vomiting

Post by Mr. Viking »

Thirsticus wrote:
givemesomepils wrote: Someone gave me a tip, chewing peppermint gum when you feel you are about to vomit helps. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to try and remember the next time.
It is impossible to vomit or cry when you have peppermint in your mouth. Scientific fact.
listen to him, he's pre-med
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Jordo!
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by Jordo! »

givemesomepils wrote:I don't know how it is in your case when you vomit, but for me it is usually just after a drink. so for me i think it makes a difference.
I have even vomited what I would guess was only beer with a small amount of stomach acid once just after finishing a couple of 40 oz's.

Someone gave me a tip, chewing peppermint gum when you feel you are about to vomit helps. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to try and remember the next time.
A lot of the whole vomiting thing is due to either dangerously high levels of alcohol in your blood, so your brainstem is trying to keep you alive, or dizziness from nystagmus vs inner ear vestibular system feedback (essentially "sea sickness" -- also possible from FPS games where the eyes note directional changes out of sync with head movement); the rest is good old fashioned gastrointestinal distress (mint may ease the latter through some druidical property of which I am aware of but ignorant as to the underlying mechanism -- probably acts as a neutralizing base to churning stomach acids).

For the others, only training your liver to metabolize the alcohol more expeditiously (a well trained toper can metabolize booze up to 4x faster than a novice --you must drink through the weakness of your liver to achieve this -- warning, may kill you via cirrhosis or even hepatitis eventually...), or slowing down (or puking) will help (and in the case of imminent alcohol poisoning, better to hurl).

There's an active ingredient in milk thistle (speaking of druidism), the name of which escapes me, but copious doses of that make for a good, and empirically demonstrated, liver tonic.

In short, the best tip is: Know your limitations, train your liver slowly but surely, avoid drinking swill that tastes like shit, and if all else fails, excuse yourself to a bathroom, hurl as quietly as possible. rinse with mouthwash, re-hydrate with water (coconut water or gator aide is good for this), pop a vitamin B and some calcium (the synthesis/absorption, respectively, is disrupted by booze, which can make you feel wobbly), pop an aspirin (you already tripped over something), towel off (the alcohol you secrete through your skin prevents absorption of oxygen, further making you feel ill), and have another drink.

If you can't handle it, call it a night. fight the good fight another day.

Another pro-tip: Running amok (e.g., slam dancing at a punk rock show) plus having some water now and again will help you metabolize the booze faster than sitting still to pickle in your poison juices. Running amok + water = hangover free :D

Again, just puke and continue if able. Why put on a tough face just to vomit all over yourself in your sleep (this was the downfall of Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, and many, many other hard partiers...)

Now, if it's a drinking contest, unless money is at stake, everyone just happily drinks until they hit their limit, so everyone wins, right? Puking/passing out (and hopefully coming to later) would be the limit...

Now if just a few beers is making you puke, either its shit beer, you are allergic to something in the beer (try my good friend Mr. Vodka!), you have something in you that just doesn't mix well with the beer, or, you need to gradually build up your stamina (go wath Broken Lizard's Beerfest! :-D )

The goal of drinking is not to show your strength -- that's for kids with something to prove. The goal of drinking to either subdue or let loose the inner demons and muses and to open the gateless barrier of Mumon seki (or pass out trying).
Thirsticus wrote:
givemesomepils wrote: Someone gave me a tip, chewing peppermint gum when you feel you are about to vomit helps. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to try and remember the next time.
It is impossible to vomit or cry when you have peppermint in your mouth. Scientific fact.
I have vomited up Rumlplemintz -- 100 proof peppermint schnapps, so perhaps an exception?

Why wouldn't you be able to cry?

Is this like the sneezing while farting question famously posed by George Carlin?
Enjoy it. Destroy it.

givemesomepils
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by givemesomepils »

Jordo! wrote:If you can't handle it, call it a night. fight the good fight another day.

Another pro-tip: Running amok (e.g., slam dancing at a punk rock show) plus having some water now and again will help you metabolize the booze faster than sitting still to pickle in your poison juices. Running amok + water = hangover free :D

Again, just puke and continue if able. Why put on a tough face just to vomit all over yourself in your sleep (this was the downfall of Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, and many, many other hard partiers...)
I don't pass out without pills so don't worry about that. also why train your liver, having a high tolerance to liquor is something I hate, I can't afford to get drunk anymore. So now i just drink from when i wake up to when I sleep at about the pace of 1 to 2 drinks an hour and i just have a calm feeling through out the day. if i try to get drunk all my liquor will be gone in 2 hours. anyway good points, besides the training your liver thing.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." hunter s. thompson god rest his soul

Jordo!
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by Jordo! »

givemesomepils wrote:
Jordo! wrote:If you can't handle it, call it a night. fight the good fight another day.

I don't pass out without pills so don't worry about that. also why train your liver, having a high tolerance to liquor is something I hate, I can't afford to get drunk anymore. So now i just drink from when i wake up to when I sleep at about the pace of 1 to 2 drinks an hour and i just have a calm feeling through out the day. if i try to get drunk all my liquor will be gone in 2 hours. anyway good points, besides the training your liver thing.
That's a very fair point. It's nice to take some time off to let your tolerance get lower -- a powerful liver means a bigger booze budget.

Well, one other thing to try is promethazine if you can get it (anticholinergic, anti-emetic); OTC doxylamine succinate (aka unisom) also has anti-emetic effects.

Still, I just prefer barfing to feeling queasy...
Enjoy it. Destroy it.

givemesomepils
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by givemesomepils »

Jordo! wrote: Well, one other thing to try is promethazine if you can get it (anticholinergic, anti-emetic); OTC doxylamine succinate (aka unisom) also has anti-emetic effects.

Still, I just prefer barfing to feeling queasy...
Promethazine is great, if you can get it.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." hunter s. thompson god rest his soul

Jordo!
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by Jordo! »

Well, if you find you suffer from sea- or air-sickness or other ailments that frequently provoke nausea, you would have a very legitimate reason to consult a physician and inquire about the potential value of promethazine...
Enjoy it. Destroy it.

givemesomepils
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by givemesomepils »

Jordo! wrote:Well, if you find you suffer from sea- or air-sickness or other ailments that frequently provoke nausea, you would have a very legitimate reason to consult a physician and inquire about the potential value of promethazine...
yeah, dr.s are a little reluctant to give out prescriptions here,;because this is the area where the whole purple drank trend started.

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

I wish I could have not boked last friday, I was confined to the tent. And I thought I was well behaved on vodka sambucas. Apparently I'm not allowed to have fun. At least I did it properly, I put my hands up, then saw sense, dropped them and threw up, back arrow straight, over a table of revellers. I extended my deepest apologies and went for a cigarette. They didn't seem bothered. I love england
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

rivuxgamma
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by rivuxgamma »

givemesomepils wrote:On the metal festival I once puked in a huge beer mug and tried to re-drink the vomit to unsatisfactorily results.
That is very metal of you. Well done!
I'll fill this out when I'm smarter

SKguy
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by SKguy »

When I start feeling like I'm gonna puke, I drink lots of water. That usually suppresses it.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

SKguy wrote:When I start feeling like I'm gonna puke, I drink lots of water. That usually suppresses it.
He
Drink!

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Up with Chuck! Take a ride with Ralph in the Buick!

Hey, you have to keep it down like a man. If it doesn't go through the liver and kidneys, then you are abusing alcohol.

Never abuse alcohol! Drink it all, and get tight and high as a kite

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

I stoped to look at my mom
Drink!

sloweducation
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by sloweducation »

The only times I have ever vomited occurred after drinking a shit ton and then being in a car. I have puked out the window while going 70 mph on the highway 3 times that I can remember, yet I more often consume a bottle of whiskey and fall asleep while reading.

oldsmartskunk
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by oldsmartskunk »

I think i reached my personal record of distance vomiting. It was like 3,5 meters of projectile vomit. It was fun!