Palinka?...

Where we pay homage to our honored dead.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

shawnonious
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Palinka?...

Post by shawnonious »

I just received an email regarding Palinka. I really don't want to believe it, but he hasn't been online since Tuesday...
Hello,

Im writing to you because we found your address in Patrick’s contact list on his laptop. So I assume that you either are a friend, or at least were previously a friend, of Patrick’s. Some of you might already know what Im about to say because Im not certain who is in contact with his family and who isn’t and I haven’t had time to check this list.

Knowing Patrick as I do some of you no doubt fell out with him years ago or possibly more recently, but nevertheless I thought you might like to know. Anyone who knows Patrick knows that he’s never been the easiest person to be friends with but I think we can all agree that he’s utterly unique!

Unfortunately what I now have to tell you is that he collapsed in his house in Exeter last week and was found in a coma slumped on his bed. He has been in intensive care in hospital ever since. He has opened his eyes twice but has been otherwise completely unresponsive, the doctors have very little idea whats wrong with him, do not have a treatment. An MRI has been done on his head and they have discovered that he has suffered brain damage to both the frontal lobes so the prognosis is very grim. They consider that it is very unlikely that he will regain consciousness and a decision as to whether to turn his life support off is likely to be taken in the next couple of days.

I can’t really tell you any more than that at this time, but if you have any words that you would like to me to pass on to his mother about the more positive memories you might have of Patrick I would really appreciate them, as you can imagine she is utterly bereft at this moment.

Thanks for your time, I will send updates if there are any more developments. Please let me know if you’d like to be taken off this list and I won’t bother you any further.

Cheers
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" -Tom Waits

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Re: Palinka?...

Post by Mr Boozificator »

I know, I have received the same thing.
All I can say is that three or four weeks ago already he was seriously worried about a resurgence of his cancer. I have no idea at this stage if the two are linked but Patrick is indeed seriously hit for now. I still want to believe that a small miracle will see him better soon.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Yes, I also received this information via email, and am home now to read all of it.

He must have set up an instruction folder on his desktop, with contact list. We've all known about his condition, so being who he is, he probably did this to take care of business in case the worst occurred. It appears that this may be the case.

As we all know, he has always been fiercely protective of our little community from those who wish to run amok here, and he is one of the most loyal people I've ever known, to those he holds close.

No idea who sent this from his account. But if they are considering the idea of "pulling the plug" in a couple days, perhaps this is indeed, the time for us to offer condolences and kind words about him for his mother.

On the other hand, let us not simply toss him overboard.

To whom or whatever is be that ye offer prayers, please consider offering one for his complete recovery and continued involvement with our international community,

and another one for his mother and kin, for strength and courage. No parent should ever live beyond their offspring. That is horrible.

Let's do as we do best. Weigh the anchor, raise the main sail, and hold your filled chalice high in honour of our own personal little devil.

To Padraig!

DRINK!

amen

Smatter Noguts
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Smatter Noguts »

Dear God.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

This sucks on toast. Prayers and good vibes along with anything else may help.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

shawnonious
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by shawnonious »

I see this is now a global announcement. Hopefully we can get a lot more good vibes, prayers, meditation, or whatever you do, to Palinka in this time of need. I'd write a good toast, but I don't know what I would say. So here's to you, favorite King Moderator. May you have a miraculous recovery.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" -Tom Waits

Bur
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Bur »

God fucking damn it..

Sometimes you should see the blow coming, but there's just too much momentum involved to roll with it.

One for the Frog

Post by One for the Frog »

I should really go. I'm seriously considering it. He is one of my best friends. If not THE best.
Shit, you can't leave just now.

Bubblez
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Bubblez »

Prayers, good vibes, positive thoughts from me and mine to Palinka and his. Would a sacrifice be too much? A hipster mayhaps?
What would you rather do—leave a beautiful corpse, or a scorched Earth? Don’t live fast and die young. Live long and die hard.¸

—Sarah Szabo

I'm all for a scorched Earth policy. -- Me

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by GSG »

Was wondering why I wasn't getting a reply to my texts and then that hit my inbox this morning. Please be OK, P. Please.
"Spiny norman wins on the bizzare terror stakes, if you haven't been stared at by a 40-foot hedgehog, you haven't lived." - Saltandgin

"Every time you don't get loaded, the terrorists win." - massivedrunk

WWDJFD?

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Oh dear, no no no! Come on soldier fight!

Not saying this caught me off guard, like Mr. Boozificator already mentioned there were some worries, but when it actually happens you`re at a total loss of words.
Drink!

Oggar
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Oggar »

I just got this information as well. Grim news indeed. Prof. Roomie and myself are going to be commiserating a bit.
I can't write like Papa, you know I just ain't able
But if he came in here tonight, I'd drink him under the table -Ronny Elliott

RIP Mayhem, as long as I have a heart you are in it.

Professor Roomie
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Professor Roomie »

I found this e-mail as I was getting ready for work. Padraig has always been a good friend, and I'm sure all of you are feeling as shitty as I am right now. I think I'll be doing shots of well vodka to him on my next day off.
"You people terrify me. You're like some sort of Unholy Trinity of drunken viking maniacs." - Nil

"You know, I'm surprised that someone who looks like the aging love child of Big Bird and Snuffaluffagus would bring physical appearance into this." - Oggar

It dulls pain, makes the sun shine brighter, and makes boring people more interesting.

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Any news about Patrick will be shared here, when we get any at all.

Your sentiments will be sent forward, collected from this thread, or via the emails and private messages you've sent us.

Now don't give up on him

Bur

Post by Bur »

Not to sound like an utter downer but damage to frontal lobe means that it's unlikely even if he did wake up that we'd have the P we knew and loved back. While I do not have extensive experience in these cases I unfortunately do have some.