Palinka?...

Where we pay homage to our honored dead.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

One for the Frog
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Re: Palinka?...

Post by One for the Frog »

Bur wrote:Not to sound like an utter downer but damage to frontal lobe means that it's unlikely even if he did wake up that we'd have the P we knew and loved back. While I do not have extensive experience in these cases I unfortunately do have some.
Well he cannot possibly be more of a pain in the ass than he used to be some time, so I think I could happily deal with it!
But I know what you mean. On the other hand we don't know about how serious the damage is. (I know I'm clutching at a straw here).

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

See ya mate, you were always kind to me.

This is not sad. People are born, they grow, they grow old n they die. People are born.

Right now, I have nothing stronger than beer to drink, but I WILL DRINK TO PALINKA!

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Hell yes. That's the spirit.

Here's a message from Alex a bit ago:

Proper update coming later today. He's finally making progress and opening his eyes but his life still hangs in the balance. They still may turn life support off but he's been given an extension while they see what happens.

Cheers Alex

Resident Asshole

Post by Resident Asshole »

Sad news indeed. Although I certainly had my issues with him we worked through all of them and moved into friendship territory. Do we know who sent the emails?
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by GSG »

Resident Asshole wrote:Sad news indeed. Although I certainly had my issues with him we worked through all of them and moved into friendship territory. Do we know who sent the emails?

I believe Alex is a friend of Palinka's of long standing, and he's really close to the family.

The update is positive, let's all send our toasts and positive vibes people!
"Spiny norman wins on the bizzare terror stakes, if you haven't been stared at by a 40-foot hedgehog, you haven't lived." - Saltandgin

"Every time you don't get loaded, the terrorists win." - massivedrunk

WWDJFD?

Bur

Post by Bur »

GinSoakedGirl wrote:
Resident Asshole wrote:Sad news indeed. Although I certainly had my issues with him we worked through all of them and moved into friendship territory. Do we know who sent the emails?

I believe Alex is a friend of Palinka's of long standing, and he's really close to the family.

The update is positive, let's all send our toasts and positive vibes people!
That's what I gathered during my boxing day visit.

oldsmartskunk
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by oldsmartskunk »

Well,what can one say in an event like this. Let's hope he'll pull through. And a bit of frontal lobe damage have never hurt anyone. It may add a few extra colours to his already coulourfull personality!

shawnonious
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by shawnonious »

Thanks Willies. I think that Alex must have replied directly to your email and forgot to reply all. Very good news, let's hope for the best. Maybe those good wishes and prayers (and toasts) are working.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" -Tom Waits

Judge

Post by Judge »

Here's to ya pal! You keep getting into shit you should'nt.
Proverbs 31:6&7

"Pain is sometimes the price of laughter."-Oggar

CPE1704TKS

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane"-Marcus Aurelius

And afterwords we can run amok! Or if you're too tired, we can walk amok.

Judge

Post by Judge »

And they say he isn't good with kids. Here's Dr. P and my granddaughter...she's 13 now.
Proverbs 31:6&7

"Pain is sometimes the price of laughter."-Oggar

CPE1704TKS

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane"-Marcus Aurelius

And afterwords we can run amok! Or if you're too tired, we can walk amok.

Bur

Post by Bur »

Thanks Judge. Appreciate it.

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by GSG »

Lovely pics Judge, thanks.

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Bur wrote:Thanks Judge. Appreciate it.
Indeed. Thanks to The Judge.

Yup.

Nudged Alex a bit ago, sharing P's plan for me and my Lady to visit him this late summer. Ya know, to give him some info. Not just some creepoid, waiting like a vulture. He doesn't know me from Adam...

Waiting for The Update...

Chin up, keep your chin up

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Alex just wrote back. Here's his update

It's certainly a roller coaster...

But he does seem to be improving.

The prayers go on

Looks like I accidentally sent you an email meant for his mother!

He is making improvements though. He's opening his eyes most of the time now and turning his head to look at people talking. Still in a coma though.

Anyway will write more to everyone tomorrow.

Alex

I need a DRINK now

One for the Frog

Post by One for the Frog »

Hello everyone,

Thanks so much for all your emails about Patrick this week. As you can imagine this has been a week from hell for his parents and your kind words have kept them going through the darkest times.

And there have been a lot of them this week! For much of it he was completely unresponsive and in the lowest level of coma that there is, and the doctors were preparing to make THE decision about whether it was time to take him off life support. To prepare for this they took him off sedation to see how distressed he'd be, and fortunately he was very settled. Apparently it gave them some idea of how possible it would be to bring him out of the coma.

Patrick must have heard all the talk going on around him about switching the machine off because with great effort he started to open his eyes when asked to by his nurse and doctor. He had a completely vacant stare but at least it all indicated that there was something going on inside.

Fortunately this bought him some time as the doctors postponed their dreaded decision for a couple of days to see what happened next.

The latest news is that he is opening his eyes and turning his head slightly towards whoever is talking to him and most recently his night nurse says that he has been holding her gaze which implies that he can focus his eyes.

The doctors are still going to convene after the weekend to assess whether to turn his life support off but surely he's making enough progress now for them to keep it switched on? We have to hope so!

Assuming that they don't flip the switch this is still looking like being a very long road, and who even knows how much of a recovery he can even make but at least he's alive eh?

He's been through a lot in his life and he's a tough old boot so if anyone can pull through it'll be Patrick. And imagine the tales he will tell us all of what it's like being in a coma!

I will keep the updates coming regularly. Again email me if you want to be taken off the list.

Thanks for all your concern. I look forward to when Patrick is well enough for us to tell him how loved he really is!