Palinka?...

Where we pay homage to our honored dead.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

One for the Frog
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Re: Palinka?...

Post by One for the Frog »

GinSoakedGirl wrote:
Resident Asshole wrote:Sad news indeed. Although I certainly had my issues with him we worked through all of them and moved into friendship territory. Do we know who sent the emails?

I believe Alex is a friend of Palinka's of long standing, and he's really close to the family.
Alex is his brother.

flylight
Tippler
Tippler

Post by flylight »

P may consider him a brother, but they are of no blood relation. Alex is a friend of P's from school days, so he has known him for several decades. He knows P's family, and I met him (Alex) as well when I was living in England.

One for the Frog

Post by One for the Frog »

flylight wrote:P may consider him a brother, but they are of no blood relation. Alex is a friend of P's from school days, so he has known him for several decades. He knows P's family, and I met him (Alex) as well when I was living in England.
Oh wow I was completely wrong, thanks for clearing this up.

Bur

Post by Bur »

One for the Frog wrote:
flylight wrote:P may consider him a brother, but they are of no blood relation. Alex is a friend of P's from school days, so he has known him for several decades. He knows P's family, and I met him (Alex) as well when I was living in England.
Oh wow I was completely wrong, thanks for clearing this up.
I think we were looking for onions at the time for palinka's stew we went by..... fuck it I'll just do the finn thing I dodge the pain by booze

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

One for the Frog wrote:
Hello everyone,

Thanks so much for all your emails about Patrick this week. As you can imagine this has been a week from hell for his parents and your kind words have kept them going through the darkest times.

And there have been a lot of them this week! For much of it he was completely unresponsive and in the lowest level of coma that there is, and the doctors were preparing to make THE decision about whether it was time to take him off life support. To prepare for this they took him off sedation to see how distressed he'd be, and fortunately he was very settled. Apparently it gave them some idea of how possible it would be to bring him out of the coma.

Patrick must have heard all the talk going on around him about switching the machine off because with great effort he started to open his eyes when asked to by his nurse and doctor. He had a completely vacant stare but at least it all indicated that there was something going on inside.

Fortunately this bought him some time as the doctors postponed their dreaded decision for a couple of days to see what happened next.

The latest news is that he is opening his eyes and turning his head slightly towards whoever is talking to him and most recently his night nurse says that he has been holding her gaze which implies that he can focus his eyes.

The doctors are still going to convene after the weekend to assess whether to turn his life support off but surely he's making enough progress now for them to keep it switched on? We have to hope so!

Assuming that they don't flip the switch this is still looking like being a very long road, and who even knows how much of a recovery he can even make but at least he's alive eh?

He's been through a lot in his life and he's a tough old boot so if anyone can pull through it'll be Patrick. And imagine the tales he will tell us all of what it's like being in a coma!

I will keep the updates coming regularly. Again email me if you want to be taken off the list.

Thanks for all your concern. I look forward to when Patrick is well enough for us to tell him how loved he really is!
Thank you for sharing this about P

BeerMakesMeSmart
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by BeerMakesMeSmart »

I'm sorry to hear this about Palinka. We've had our battles through the years but had worked things out. I wouldn't write the postscript on him just yet. I truly believe he's too stubborn to die.
I'll miss you, pallie.

Veen
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Veen »

I know I'm always on IRC and almost never on the board, but I just heard about this maybe literally one hour ago. I'm glad he's still alive. I know not all of you are of any sort of religion, and I don't know if he was either, but I have just offered up a prayer for his recovery. I am incredibly sorry to hear about this, and my condolences go out to all of his family and friends.

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

I just noticed this thread...very sad news indeed.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

Dale
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Dale »

Palinka, I wish you the best. Hopefully you will come back in old form.
"What doesn't kill you makes you ... stranger."

NYDingbat
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by NYDingbat »

Padraig is a dear friend and hopefully he will continue to be. If not, those of us who are religious know that God has finally called him after his long battle with cancer. For those who aren't religious - welp, don't know how ya deal with it, but hope you have strength doing so.

He's a stupendous man of great strength in his fight against cancer, he loved us and this board and FKRly, kept it together since the rest of us Mods have basically been a buncha slackers.

Fuck. This sucks.
"I don't start the day. I continue the night."
- mistah willies

"What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch?"
- W.C. Fields

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Still no word yet?

I recently sent him a booze trade. Some rye, shine and such. I also sent him some Angels Envy. I asked him via Skype not long after what he thought of it. He replied that he keeps it in his locked portion of his treasure chest, so as to not kill it in a sitting. He felt it too valuable to waste on simply getting hammered.

Here's to prying to Bacchus that he recovers to open that vault and swill like there is no tomorrow. 'Cause, you know.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by GSG »

Nothing yet, apparently decisions will be made today.
"Spiny norman wins on the bizzare terror stakes, if you haven't been stared at by a 40-foot hedgehog, you haven't lived." - Saltandgin

"Every time you don't get loaded, the terrorists win." - massivedrunk

WWDJFD?

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

No word yet, but you know that if any of us gets news, it will be shared.

Here.

NYDingbat wrote:... since the rest of us Mods have basically been a buncha slackers.
Actually, my dear, some of us are not slacking at all. We simply must not let this bbs forum of FKR's Modern Drunkard Magazine fall by the wayside.

There are too many great tales and anecdotes in the archives for this to happen.

Also, helluva Skye with you and that insane Lithuanian, and the cannibal German last night! They cook very well. I hear they also drink, but don't tell anyone. Shhh...

Our little secret.

We will carry on.

Now DRINK! to Palinka's health.

Drink to Drinking. Yup.

Veen
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Veen »

Again as I've said, I've been a member of this community at least on IRC for a long time. I know I've slacked off on the board postings. Still, I can't just ignore Palinka's situation and I have talked in private with at least a few people from here.

I did just finish a beer run (a literal run, I was too drunk to drive) so, I'm raising a pint to him. "Cheers" seems to be the wrong expression, but I'm raising a glass for him.

shawnonious
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by shawnonious »

Veen wrote:Again as I've said, I've been a member of this community at least on IRC for a long time. I know I've slacked off on the board postings. Still, I can't just ignore Palinka's situation and I have talked in private with at least a few people from here.

I did just finish a beer run (a literal run, I was too drunk to drive) so, I'm raising a pint to him. "Cheers" seems to be the wrong expression, but I'm raising a glass for him.
Here's to that.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" -Tom Waits