Palinka?...

Where we pay homage to our honored dead.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Palinka?...

Post by oettinger »

No bad news is good news at this point?
Drink!

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

oettinger wrote:No bad news is good news at this point?
I haven't heard anything. I think it's neither good nor bad
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mr Boozificator »

Mr. Viking wrote:
oettinger wrote:No bad news is good news at this point?
I haven't heard anything. I think it's neither good nor bad
We're all hoping for a miracle. I raise my glass to our good Doctor.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Someone go to his flat and grab that bottle of Angels Envy. Take it to his bedside, pour a few fingers in a rocks glass and waft it under his nose. That should do the trick.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

shawnonious
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by shawnonious »

Hello everyone.

I’m sorry I’ve been so long with this update. The truth is its been a very mixed picture with Patrick since I last wrote, its been a roller coaster ride of increased hopes and setbacks, and I’ve been waiting to see if things would become more clear. Hoping really that he would make some definite progress that I could report to you all.

Sadly this hasn’t happened. Patrick hasn’t really been responsive since he had his first fit almost two weeks ago. He has started opening his eyes to people again to a certain extent but his gaze is much more blank than it was before the fits started.

He is struggling with a large number of symptoms; amongst these is a high temperature that is probably due to an infection. He has constant bodily tremors that apparently aren’t related to the fitting. His haemoglobin keeps dropping and he has had to be transfused several times with blood to counter this. He has caught pneumonia as expected. His breathing is completely reliant on the tracheostomy, however the more he became able to breathe for himself, the size of the aperture has decreased. The MRI scans show that oxygen was deprived to both sides of his cortex at some point, this is in addition to the fact that they previously discovered he had suffered brain damage to both his frontal lobes.

This all makes for very grim reading for us of course.

On the plus side the level of activity in his brain is rated as slow but not flat, which is something. They also seem to be less worried about the high ammonia levels in his blood than they were at first. Also his parents are much more happy with the way that he is being cared for since he was removed from ICU. Initially they felt he was getting far inferior treatment but now it seems clear that he is still a clinical priority and in fact he has recently been moved back into a side room and off the general ward.

The doctors prognosis for him at the moment is uncertain. They still have absolutely no idea what has caused this to happen and it is of course still possible that he could die at any time - his body must certainly be under an incredible amount of strain. However the longer he lasts the less likely this is to happen. Assuming that he doesn’t die then he will either slowly recover or else he will just remain the same as he is. The doctors consider this last possibility to be the worst outcome and they aren’t sure what will happen in this case, but a decision would be several weeks away at least. His doctor has said that he can’t be sure whether Patrick retains his cognitive faculties but that they are in a dormant state, or whether he has lost them permanently now. However he says that if he still remains in this current state in three or four months time that he will be much more pessimistic than he is at this time. He says that he has not given up on Patrick.

And so neither must we! At least they are now talking about three or four months time as being a possibility.

I will continue with these updates as and when there is news, and periodically even if there is none, just in case you think I’ve simply forgotten to write. Again please do tell me if you’d like to be removed from this list as its increasingly looking like this is going to be a VERY long and drawn out recovery, if there is one.

So I will be in touch. In the meantime keep the prayers and the good thoughts coming if you believe in that kind of thing. Patrick has never needed them like he needs them right now.

cheers

Alex Hoskins
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" -Tom Waits

Shane-O-Matic
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Shane-O-Matic »

Just seeing this now. This is terrible news. Thoughts are with you, Padraig.

Bubblez
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Bubblez »

Palinka,
You are still on my mind and still in my thoughts, prayers and toasts.
What would you rather do—leave a beautiful corpse, or a scorched Earth? Don’t live fast and die young. Live long and die hard.¸

—Sarah Szabo

I'm all for a scorched Earth policy. -- Me

AntonArkydivich
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by AntonArkydivich »

Man, when my grandfather died, he reached out to me intentionally, unexpectedly, offered me encouragement, a place to stay and get away, and now all I can do is pray for him and wait?

Palinka, I hope that I can show others (albeit even almost strangers) the kindness and loyalty that you have shown here. Rest easy.
Making my own city lights out of bourbon and the stars of a barroom fight.
- Josh Ritter

AntonArkydivich
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

To Palinka!

Post by AntonArkydivich »

I apologize, for I know no other way of dealing dealing with sadness than with my old friend, the liquor, and with my friends, whom I trade stories, laugh, fight and cry with. And I am drunk on gin and sad tonight. So as we pray and send our hearts out to Palinka, I was hoping we could also share our favorite stories/quotes/snapshots of him, if only to support the man and his family, and to remind ourselves of the goodness that we have in community and life.
Making my own city lights out of bourbon and the stars of a barroom fight.
- Josh Ritter

oldsmartskunk
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Re: To Palinka!

Post by oldsmartskunk »

Cheers! To Palinka. He is still alive! Here's a fun story from him "This one time i was doing an autopsy on a body that was found drowned. While i was gathering my tools a black head popped out of his anus. I though it was some kind of alien,but turns out it was an ordinary eel"

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Cheers!

Yes indeed.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

He will tell you so many funny stories that he harpes on are true to the bone. He is adamant that superglue was invented to hold together victims of car crashes they recieved at morgues like the one he is working at. Wikipedia says otherwise but good ol P. would even argue god against the wall. Espially when loaded.
To his recovery, I don`t think god and heaven is ready for this yet!
Drink!

Rev. Dead Corpse
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Rev. Dead Corpse »

Yep, more vodka tonight...

Palinka, skol.
<insert something profound here>

μεθύστακας
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard