Am I an Alcoholic?

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Re: Am I an Alcoholic?

Post by Casual Binger »

AntonArkydivich wrote:a shot to everyone who thought On the Road was only about drinking your way across the country and fucking your friend's wife.
What WAS On the Road about? I read it as a student thinking it was gunna be about sex drugs n rock n roll, but as far as I recall it didn't contain any of those things. I thought it was one of the most overrated books in the history of literature. I guess at least I managed to finish it, which is more than I can say for Catcher in the Rye. Give me American Psycho or Salems Lot any day.

AntonArkydivich
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by AntonArkydivich »

According to Kerouac, it was about two Catholic buddies roaming around the country looking for God, which is the mindset I usually read it in. I just generally don't think that they found him, especially considering the ending (at the least the ending of the original scroll).

But as far as pointless goes, I agree that Catcher in the Rye is much worse. But don't get me started.

Am I an alcoholic?

Aren't we all in some way?
Making my own city lights out of bourbon and the stars of a barroom fight.
- Josh Ritter

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

AntonArkydivich wrote:According to Kerouac, it was about two Catholic buddies roaming around the country looking for God, which is the mindset I usually read it in. I just generally don't think that they found him, especially considering the ending (at the least the ending of the original scroll).

But as far as pointless goes, I agree that Catcher in the Rye is much worse. But don't get me started.

Am I an alcoholic?

Aren't we all in some way?
Hmmm. Stephen King said Salems Lot was about the death of the small american town. And here was me thinking it was about vampires.

Yes. Yes ,we are all alcoholics. If, as drunkards, we reject the medical definition of alcoholic (as we should), we are left with 'alcoholic' meaning "of, relating to, caused by or containing alcohol". Sounds like an admirable state of affairs to me.

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Casual Binger wrote:...we are left with 'alcoholic' meaning "of, relating to, caused by or containing alcohol". Sounds like an admirable state of affairs to me.
Damn fine point my friend.

We are temporary vessels for the elixir of enjoyment, and also health. At one time, it was the only safe way to intake liquid.

Some folks have proposed that this was why brewing was initially pursued: it saved humanity form illness and possible death.

It encouraged social community and agriculture of grains.

I'll DRINK! to that, Casual Binger.

sometime, it'd be good to drink with the likes of ye, ya salty seafaring mofo

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Resident Asshole »

To the OP, I don't understand why migraines keep you from drinking more? Whenever I have a headache I tend to forgo pills and drink booze. It makes me feel much better.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

AntonArkydivich
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by AntonArkydivich »

Resident Asshole wrote:To the OP, I don't understand why migraines keep you from drinking more? Whenever I have a headache I tend to forgo pills and drink booze. It makes me feel much better.
This attitude is probably going to be my death. I had a terrible stomach ache this morning, which is uncommon, and I had a vision/idea of my last words being, "You gotta be fucking kidding, just like Kerouac."

Then I had a smoke, bite to eat, beer and a shot, and all better. Went and had an overly productive day. Today, life is not so terrible or serious.
Making my own city lights out of bourbon and the stars of a barroom fight.
- Josh Ritter

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

wisp o' the willies wrote: I'll DRINK! to that, Casual Binger.

sometime, it'd be good to drink with the likes of ye, ya salty seafaring mofo
One day perhaps, when I finally make my semi-mythical US road trip. My wife generously suggested that I could visit the States by myself while she visits her parents in Japan, but we'd have to wait until the boys are old enough to be easily managed by one person on a long international flight, which is probably a couple of years away at least.

Still, I can plan. One thing that'd be cool would be to take in all the places with no open carry laws. I believe these are in Savannah, New Orleans, Memphis, Kansas City, Las Vegas n Boise. That would cover a fair bit of ground.

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

Wait, no it looks like it's Butte, not Boise.

gede
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by gede »

Resident Asshole wrote:To the OP, I don't understand why migraines keep you from drinking more? Whenever I have a headache I tend to forgo pills and drink booze. It makes me feel much better.
If you've ever had a legitimate migraine you will know there's very little that can be done, unless you happen to have epilepsy meds handy. No garden variety headache and sore tummy, try being moved to agony by sound, light, touch, and being paralysed by a state of confusion and pain that even complicates a trip to the bathroom to vomit... frustrating though because it feels like a hangover but it's all in the brain

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

gede wrote:
If you've ever had a legitimate migraine you will know there's very little that can be done, unless you happen to have epilepsy meds handy. No garden variety headache and sore tummy, try being moved to agony by sound, light, touch, and being paralysed by a state of confusion and pain that even complicates a trip to the bathroom to vomit... frustrating though because it feels like a hangover but it's all in the brain
Umm sorry but what you mean is being pregnant
Drink!

gede
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by gede »

oettinger wrote:
gede wrote:
Umm sorry but what you mean is being pregnant
ahhh fuck ya

Resident Asshole

Post by Resident Asshole »

I've yet to feel a pain that getting drunk didn't lessen.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Yes.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Not merely functional,

but Impressively Well-Bottled And Drunken