Why the Hating on Jack Daniel's

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

WhiskeyReb
Souse
Souse

Why the Hating on Jack Daniel's

Post by WhiskeyReb »

For starters, I'm not a Jack Daniel's officianado. Right now I'm getting slowly stewed drinking some cheap Paul Masson Brandy that I picked up on sale at a local establishment that lures you with the cheap stuff on sale then suckers your into paying for some high priced shit on the way out the door. (the good stuff was some rare two year old Willet Rye that when I finish that bottle, there won't be another one until Willet brews some more)

At any rate, I recently toured the Jack Daniel's distillery, which was a thoroughly quaint and entertaining way to spend an hour and a half if you're ever in the area. Bought a high priced bottle of JD Single Barrel at about 128 proof. Granted, this isn't the stuff you'll find on the counter at your local liquor store. But i find it quite excellent.

I do find Jack Daniel's generally to be a bit overpriced, and I do think they've sold out to the conglomerate bottom line of profit by watering down most of their good stuff to 80 proof. But I find a level of vitriol among whiskey purist aimed at Jack Daniel's that doesn't seem to exist toward other whiskey makers. For example, most drinkers seem ready to admit Jim Beam White Label is pretty cheap stuff, but I don't sense animosity toward Jim Beam that exists toward Jack Daniel's.

JD seems to be viewed as a traitor for dropping their Old #7 to 80 proof a few years back. (as have several other brands who didn't get skinned in the court of public opinion.) I don't think Jack Daniel's is all its cracked up to be, but don't think it's the worst of the lot either. I particularly find its honey liqueur to be downright tasty.

We all have our favorite brew, and mine can rotate depending on how my football alma mater did over the weekend or what rum I picked up on a Caribbean cruise vacation. Heck, my favorite memories involve a cheap beer called Schaeffer Light back in the college days when $1.99 would buy a 6 pack of the rotgut stuff. So, I'm not that picky.

I'd just like to hear some debate on what Jack Daniel's did to piss of so much of the serious whiskey drinking crowd, and why so many people still buy the stuff it it's all that bad.

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Re: Why the Hating on Jack Daniel's

Post by Mr. Viking »

It's omnipresence, like that of McDonalds or Coca-Cola is enough in itself to attract a degree of vitriol

It is an empty bottle filled with marketing
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Tarcek
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by Tarcek »

They did some stuff some people didn't like (google it, it's not hard to find) - But hey, if you like JD then enjoy your JD mate. I'd argue there's better stuff in the same price range and proof, but no-one has to condemn it just because other people are. Find out why we poke needles into its name, nod your head in understanding, and carry on :)

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Tarcek wrote:They did some stuff some people didn't like (google it, it's not hard to find) - But hey, if you like JD then enjoy your JD mate. I'd argue there's better stuff in the same price range and proof, but no-one has to condemn it just because other people are. Find out why we poke needles into its name, nod your head in understanding, and carry on :)
That's damn fine. Yup. Just remember to DRINK!

always.

TheDrunkardAnglo
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by TheDrunkardAnglo »

We're horrific snobs and hypocrites. Now lets just wallow in self-pity and drink.

I don't even drink bourbon. I'm European, I arrogantly consider myself too good for bourbon. I know. For shame!
Major Strasser: What is your nationality?
Rick: I'm a drunkard.
Captain Renault: That makes Rick a citizen of the world.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

In germany Jim Beam is flooding the market with flavoured shit never seen before tsunami like. They are even worse in selling out right now. What they don`t have is the iconic logo on clothing, wall papers etc
Drink!

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Herman wrote:We're horrific snobs and hypocrites. Now lets just wallow in self-pity and drink.

I don't even drink bourbon. I'm European, I arrogantly consider myself too good for bourbon. I know. For shame!

Hehehe

Yup, Self pity and shame are longtime enemies I lock out of the house. Now shut off the light ! I'm drinking in here alone!

but they always keep knocking.

Lets drink together Herman. We'll chuck empties at their faces.

TheDrunkardAnglo
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by TheDrunkardAnglo »

mistah willies wrote:Lets drink together Herman. We'll chuck empties at their faces.
I have a lot of empty but heavy scotch bottles. We could do a lot of fucking damage!
Major Strasser: What is your nationality?
Rick: I'm a drunkard.
Captain Renault: That makes Rick a citizen of the world.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Long story short, Brown Forman the parent company of JD lowered the proof from 86 to 80. The reason was said to be it opens up the flavor more with a bit of water. This we knew and each would water to our own tastes. We also believed it was a bullshit reason, assuming it was a bean counter move to reduce production cost and sell an inferior proof at the same if not an increased price. Which has now happened with all the specialty offerings at much higher prices.

Makers tried it a few years ago and social media blew the hell up. The backlash caused Makers to backpedal. Fast. If social media had been what it is today back when BF pulled their shit we may still have higher test JD.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

The excuse (or one of the many) that they gave was that their research indicated that people prefer 80 proof liquor, so they were lowering theirs to give the people what they want. This is marketing circular logic. It was a money grab, and if they had just said so, there would have been less stink. Another thing is that they had lowered the proof one other time, years ago. All the while, the were advertising with the "same great recipe...tradition...just like Jack has made it all along" crap/lies.
Also, it's Tennessee whisky, which is the red-headed stepchild of Bourbon. Buncha wannabe's.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

When your parent company's more about marketing a logo than about distilling the whiskey, the hate will be there.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

peetie44 wrote:When your parent company's more about marketing a logo than about distilling the whiskey, the hate will be there.
A great distillation of the issue!
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Resident Asshole »

It's not just JD, it's any brand that lowers its proof/quality while giving a BS reason for doing so (or no reason at all). I am an avid Maker's drinker and went their during the height of that controversy and spoke to them in person about it. They had the sense to change their minds and retain the proper proof, otherwise there would be much animosity towards them as well.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

If I remember correctly, at least Maker's was honest about it. Didn't they say that it was to extend the supply and be able to put more bottles out (meaning, to make more monies.)?
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Both of you are correct.

Blackneto caught on to their ruse here, first:
Blackneto wrote:As a Maker's Mark Ambassador I guess I'm required to pass on this news:
Dear Maker’s Mark® Ambassador,

Lately we’ve been hearing from many of you that you’ve been having difficulty finding Maker’s Mark in your local stores. Fact is, demand for our bourbon is exceeding our ability to make it, which means we’re running very low on supply. We never imagined that the entire bourbon category would explode as it has over the past few years, nor that demand for Maker’s Mark would grow even faster.

We wanted you to be the first to know that, after looking at all possible solutions, we’ve worked carefully to reduce the alcohol by volume (ABV) by just 3%. This will enable us to maintain the same taste profile and increase our limited supply so there is enough Maker’s Mark to go around, while we continue to expand the distillery and increase our production capacity.

We have both tasted it extensively, and it’s completely consistent with the taste profile our founder/dad/grandfather, Bill Samuels, Sr., created nearly 60 years ago. We’ve also done extensive testing with Maker’s Mark drinkers, and they couldn’t tell a difference.

Nothing about how we handcraft Maker’s Mark has changed, from the use of locally sourced soft red winter wheat as the flavor grain, to aging the whisky to taste in air-dried American white oak barrels, to rotating our barrels during maturation, to hand-dipping every bottle in our signature red wax.

In other words, we’ve made sure we didn’t screw up your whisky.

By the way, if you have any comments or questions, as always, we invite you to drop us a line at [email protected] or [email protected]. Thanks for your support. And if you’ve got a little time on your hands, come down and see us at the distillery.

Sincerely,

Rob Samuels
Chief Operating Officer
Ambassador-in-Chief

Bill Samuels, Jr.
Chairman Emeritus
Ambassador-at-Large

This message was delivered to [[email protected]] because you are a Maker’s Mark Ambassador and chose to receive e-mails from us.
So there you have it. A quality establishment admitting up front that they are going to change their recipe and try to make more money at the same time.

While I'm disappointed, at least they are not lying to the public.

Much Love,

Blackneto
From here.

The petition worked, and also, the anti-publicity (Negative Publicity, that is) probably caused their full strength to fly off the shelves, as well as the now rare Lower ABV.

Makers Reverses Decision.

R.A. went down there to bitch slap them into never pulling such a stunt again. Gently bitch-slap, since they make a fine tasting bourbon.

Resident Asshole wrote:I understand that Maker's Mark has already reversed their decision regarding lowering the ABV of their bourbon, but I plan on presenting this petition to them next month (and filming it) as a pre-emptive strike against all distillers regarding the watering down of their product. Signing will only increase your boozage.

Oh, and thanks to those who have already signed, I apologize for the worded assault. Slainte!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/make ... ng-of-abv/