Palinka RIP Jan 2016

Where we pay homage to our honored dead.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Re: Palinka RIP Jan 2016

Post by Lush City »

I got to know Pali, as I called him, by his stern stewardship of the masses on the forums and a couple of drunk dial calls. Such brilliant soul.
I think his passing has a lot to do with the downtime of the registration servers blocking everyone to login. I want to believe the website will continue to flourish.
Found myself in the Matrix and took the red pill. Now I want the blue pill and my bottle and leave me alone.

Mother Goose
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mother Goose »

The Goose and I are not frequently on the board anymore; real life seems to take precedence. Nevertheless, we are both incredibly sad to hear this news. It's heartbreaking that yet another of our friends has left this mortal coil. RIP, Palinka.

"DC is a toilet. And it needs a good flush." ~ Weatherman

Drunkard Chat bot sez: fiyah: i'm picturing wasabi oozing out of her parents, and im at a good pace if you have to do this cheap as fuck. but drunkards need to unite

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Palinka memorial

Post by GSG »

P's parents have requested no flowers at the funeral but instead would like to raise enough money for the hospital he was treated at to buy an ECG machine and ketone monitor as a lasting and useful memorial. I'm sure you'll agree that there is no more fitting tribute to him.

If you would like to contribute, please make cheques payable to Bolham Ward Fund and send to Exeter and District Funeral Service, 210 Topsham Road, Exeter EX2 6AA.

Many thanks.
"Spiny norman wins on the bizzare terror stakes, if you haven't been stared at by a 40-foot hedgehog, you haven't lived." - Saltandgin

"Every time you don't get loaded, the terrorists win." - massivedrunk

WWDJFD?

Rev. Dead Corpse
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Rev. Dead Corpse »

I only had the pleasure of conversing with him via this forum, he always struck me as a man of fine wit and marvelous elocution...

Cheers Palinka, see you on the other side.
<insert something profound here>

Bur
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Bur »

Maybe it hasn't yet sink in or perhaps I did my mourning (somewhat) preemptive I guess.

I still think my visit to Exeter was quite imperative to my sanity with all the family bullshit and drama/tragedy going on in my personal life that was going on at the time. Those couple of days are one of my very fondest drinking memories (and lack of those). All of the skype sessions through the couple of years were pure gold too.
Still a bit bummed at the fact the Budapest gig never had the chance to come to realization.

I aim to hoist a few and maybe hit up some peeps in the skype or something this weekend, should work permit.

Class act through and through.

One for the Frog

Post by One for the Frog »

Bur wrote:Still a bit bummed at the fact the Budapest gig never had the chance to come to realization.
I think it will be organized eventually. That's something I owe him. Who knows when. In a year?

Grumpy
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Grumpy »

Goodnight, Brain. Love and Godspeed. Pinky.

GET DRUNK.AND TAKE OVER THE WORLD.

(sorry, the picture won't load.)
I don't post often, but I always post drunk.
I don't give a fuck what anyone else thinks.
Savage types for me, but she doesn't tell me what to say.

shawnonious
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by shawnonious »

Judge, this song you've posted has grown on my heavily. Thank you for sharing. If there's a deal in Europe, hopefully I'll make it, if it's after this December when I graduate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l67iGJPakRE
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" -Tom Waits

NYDingbat
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by NYDingbat »

Like many others, I had the pleasure of many a Skype call from our Fearless Drunkard. There were countless weekend afternoons paved with the good intentions of productivity that quickly devolved - or evolved perhaps! - into an afternoon of sipping and sloshing and slurred confabulation. Don't know if was an intentional cinematic touch or that our dear Padraig either never mastered the art of the webcam or was too stewed to care, probably a mixture of the three, but I've never Skyped with anyone who had their camera at quite that angle. Cinema Drunkard Noir, perhaps?

Palinka held our lovely nabe in the highest of regard, as all of us are well aware. He took his responsibility as a Mod very seriously - he worked his keister off keeping this li'l operation rolling along - both out of love for us and the idea we Drunkards should have a convivial place to congregate and converse and out of a deep respect and loyalty to FKR, - "slurred be his name" as Palinka always said when mentioning Frank.

He was a generous and thoughtful soul in addition to his many other stellar qualities. When my nephew was going through yet another surgery, despite battling his own health issues, Padraig purchased gifts for him and shipped them out to him.

I shall raise not just one, but many glasses in his honor, not just today but on many days. I hate having to refer to him in the past tense, but take comfort knowing he's no longer sick and will never have to pay for another drink or endure another last call.

Slainte and God bless, old friend!
"I don't start the day. I continue the night."
- mistah willies

"What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch?"
- W.C. Fields

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

There is nothing to say, from the likes of this here Modern Drunkard Injun.

Drink In Peace, Dr. Patrick T.

D.I.P.

Damn it all, all of it.

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Still can't believe it. Too much sadness.
like tears in rain

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

P's Funeral is in three days. If you would like to, please PM me a simple couple of lines of an anecdote, or a story about him that you'd like to have read at the pub after his funeral. I say PM, because you'd be sharing your real first name and last initial. I'll keep you safe.

---willies

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: Palinka memorial

Post by mistah willies »

That's the sort of man he will always be, isn't that correct. He requested this.

One for the Frog

Post by One for the Frog »

Alright. This is how to leave with style.

I try to pass a few moments of the ceremony:

Motorcycle hearse carrying his Tardis

- Eulogy from his mother read by the celebrant
- Two beautiful speeches by his friends
- A poem written by his father about him
- A Spock quote from the celebrant: "We must accept death by understanding that every life comes to an end, when time demands it. Loss of life is to be mourned, but only if the life was wasted."
- A minute's silence then “Beam Him Up!”
- Bosun’s whistle, then Star Trek “Warp Drive” sound effect. Curtains to close.
- Exit music: Monty Python - Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

I am impressed tbh
Drink!