Long Island Iced Tea Lab

Ask about or post your favorite drinks.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

GraveyardShiftChuck
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Re: Long Island Iced Tea Lab

Post by GraveyardShiftChuck »

Well, for the next 8 nights, I don't have to worry hiding booze in my bag or showing up with liquor on my breath; my last vacation week for the year just started half an hour ago! Like I said earlier, now I've got plenty of time to make some LIITs up right! Let's see..... I've got everything for making them at my place (gomme syrup's the same as simple syrup, right?), except for the Cointreau or Grand Marnier and the tequila. Perfect reasons to go to Westroads Liquors to get some!

Oh, and one more thing - I've got to find a "go to" tequila. Wish me luck!
May you all be hung, drawn and quartered!
Yes, HUNG - with gold and jewels,
DRAWN - in a coach and four,
and QUARTERED - in the finest homes in the land.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

GraveyardShiftChuck wrote:Well, for the next 8 nights, I don't have to worry hiding booze in my bag or showing up with liquor on my breath; my last vacation week for the year just started half an hour ago! Like I said earlier, now I've got plenty of time to make some LIITs up right! Let's see..... I've got everything for making them at my place (gomme syrup's the same as simple syrup, right?), except for the Cointreau or Grand Marnier and the tequila. Perfect reasons to go to Westroads Liquors to get some!

Oh, and one more thing - I've got to find a "go to" tequila. Wish me luck!
The "gomme" confused me on several whisky sour recipes also. It`s not the same afaik, but take the next one in reach, should do just fine.
Careful with the Cointreau, although Mr Viking will down one bottle over the course of an afternoon, Campari is a nice replacement. Unsure about the T. Ask the calífornian or texan members. Too bad booznik is freaking dead, he would know a couple!

Cheers and have a fucking good time
Drink!

Gall4185
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Gall4185 »

gomme and sugar syrup are from the same family. Gomme tends to be thicker though and is usually a 2:1 ratio of sugar to water. We use a demerrara sugar syrup that's a 3:2 ratio.

As for tequila,I'm not sure what's available on your side of the pond but I'd wager it's a wider range than what I can usually find. Aquariva,cazcabel, and jimedor are all good choices though

GraveyardShiftChuck
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Just made my first LIIT. Bacardi, Tito's, Tanqueray (the usual go-tos) were joined by Camerena Reposado. Kinda tastes more like an Arnold Palmer than regular iced tea, but it still goes great with a bacon cheeseburger pizza. It seems that I bought more Grand Marnier than I needed (very clever, those Frenchies, to put a shot and a half in their shooter bottles), but no harm done; I also bought plenty of lime juice, so I'll make a few margaritas before the weekend's over!

GraveyardShiftChuck
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Ooops, I forgot the ice (used a chilled Tervis Tumbler). Guess you could call it a Strong Island Tea!

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

GraveyardShiftChuck wrote: Oh, and one more thing - I've got to find a "go to" tequila. Wish me luck!
If you have access to a Costco in your area, their house brand Kirkland Signature Añejo is $20 a liter and compares favorably to the spendy stuff. Have to imagine it would go sweet into an LIIT or a margarita, but I just end up drinking it straight.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

GraveyardShiftChuck
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

No Costcos in Carbondale, Baddie. The closest thing's a Sam's Club in nearby Marion. Like I said earlier, I chose Camerena Reposado because it's 100% agave, and it, along with its Silver sister, was the only tequila in 500ml bottles besides regular Cuervo (I chose a 500ml bottle so if I hated it, I wouldn't have to waste a whole fifth). It worked ok, however, and I'm going to try a margarita or two.

Gall4185
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Gall4185 »

100% blue agave is a key factor in choosing a tequila. It makes a HUGE difference

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Yeah , definitely don't want any of that 50% plaid agave from the Firth of Fjord.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ