What are you reading?

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Lush City, Mr. Viking, Savage

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: What are you reading?

Post by oettinger »

Frankennietzsche wrote:
Mr. Viking wrote: AS fa as I was aware the crossword was popularized in US newspapers, but their popularity took off like a storm as soon as they appeared in the UK
I wonder if there are Arabic crossword puzzles or does the Prophet frown on such frivolities.
They should be fun in chinese. Look it up on google
Drink!

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Hell's Gate.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

JoyOfDrinking
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by JoyOfDrinking »

Digging Up Mother, A Love Story
Doug Stanhope

Boozing-aplenty in this one, not to mention his account of losing his virginity at 9 years old

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

I started rereading Earth Abides, mainly because i found that link to the pdf.
It's an interesting, post-apocalypse novel. I am not that far into it, but it's not too dramatic or action packed, if I remember correctly. It was written in the late 1940's.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

Bur
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Bur »

A detective story of short which roughly translates to "Breaking news" or something as cheesy. Author is Liza Marklund, a Swede but decent writer despite that handicap.

For some reason I always feel reluctant to start reading a detective stuff even though it comes with recommendations.

Usually I do end up enjoying the stuff anyways. It's weird.

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

I started reading American Gods by Niel Gaiman. I figured that I better waht with the miniseries/movie coming out and all of the spoilers being leaked. It's pretty good. The only one that I have figured out so far is Mr Wednesday.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

Bur

Post by Bur »

Yea that was the only really obvious one for me too, though I had bit of a feeler on few others though.

Interested to see how it'll turn out on screen. I mean there's some visuals I doubt they'll put on screen.

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Before I started reading it (although, I had the intention of doing so) I saw an article on IO9 about the production team had cast Jesus. The comment discussion said something about him not being in the book and I stopped reading for fear of spoilers. So, Jesus is in the production.
I wish taht I could get a day or so where I wasn't too tired, rushed or such to knock out a good proportion of reading. The last three books that I have finished have all been done in the water closet.

Shane-O-Matic
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Shane-O-Matic »

Lots of Kurt Vonnegut books. Mother Night right now.

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

Frankennietzsche wrote:Before I started reading it (although, I had the intention of doing so) I saw an article on IO9 about the production team had cast Jesus. The comment discussion said something about him not being in the book and I stopped reading for fear of spoilers. So, Jesus is in the production.
I wish taht I could get a day or so where I wasn't too tired, rushed or such to knock out a good proportion of reading. The last three books that I have finished have all been done in the water closet.
Jesus is in the book, but he's not named and it's so subtle that I didn't remember it from the first time I read it. Shadow spends some time with a man who's hands are covered in carpentry scars. He drinks his wine and the man is anxious as to how it tastes, implying that he made it.

It also mentions the Afghan version of Jesus couldn't even hitch a ride.

One of my favourite books.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Casual Binger wrote: One of my favourite books.
Hey welcome back Binger!
Drink!

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

oettinger wrote:
Casual Binger wrote: One of my favourite books.
Hey welcome back Binger!
Cheers. Although, I'm not much of a drunkard these days. More of a tippler.

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Casual Binger wrote:
Jesus is in the book, but he's not named and it's so subtle that I didn't remember it from the first time I read it. Shadow spends some time with a man who's hands are covered in carpentry scars. He drinks his wine and the man is anxious as to how it tastes, implying that he made it.

It also mentions the Afghan version of Jesus couldn't even hitch a ride.

One of my favourite books.
I don't remember the first part, but I do remember the second. It was a wonderful book, literally.
I was tempted to immediately start another of his books, but i figured that it might lead to some confusion.

Gaiman has a great short story in some Cthulhu anthology that I have about some guy getting drunk on some ale in a suspicious seaside English town and the fish people who live there.

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

Frankennietzsche wrote:
Casual Binger wrote: I don't remember the first part, but I do remember the second. It was a wonderful book, literally.
I was tempted to immediately start another of his books, but i figured that it might lead to some confusion.

Gaiman has a great short story in some Cthulhu anthology that I have about some guy getting drunk on some ale in a suspicious seaside English town and the fish people who live there.
Well, I just did a quick search and it turns out the Jesus scene was deleted from the original edition and reinstated for an anniversary edition. That explains why I didn't remember it from the first time I read it.

He's done two follow up novellas featuring Shadow's adventures in the UK. You can find them in his last two short story collections Fragile Things and Trigger Warning.

Bur

Post by Bur »

Reminds me, I'm due to going over my favorite arcs from Sandman.