New to The Board? Then introduce yourself here...

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Re: New to The Board? Then introduce yourself here...

Post by Lush City »

Paninaro wrote:Hi,

New member.

I'm from beautiful Caledonia and am, naturally, a fan of my country's national drink, particularly Laphroaig, the Islay malts being my favourites. I'm also partial to various beers, ales, lagers, wines, tequilas and damn near most things containing ethanol.

Feel free to ask me anything. I might not bother to answer, of course, but still feel free...

I once wrestled a flamingo, have drunk booze on all 12 continents and was recently named Emperor and Grand High Protector of the City of Glasgow.

Sláinte mhath!
Yes, you'll drink anything including crankcase oil. Welcome and a big cheer to you!
Found myself in the Matrix and took the red pill. Now I want the blue pill and my bottle and leave me alone.

JoyOfDrinking
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by JoyOfDrinking »

Hello Drunks,

My name is JoyOfDrinking (aka Michael W) and I am an artist, a drunk, and a drunk artist. When I drink, I drink true. I come to this forum to share in my love of all things alcohol, and also to build a community of friends, allies, and supporters in my latest drunken pursuit, The Joy of Drinking, a YouTube series where I follow along with TV oil painter Bob Ross and get drunk while doing it. I am not here to spamvertise. I am here to be a productive (by drunk standards) member of the community. The Joy of Drinking is currently my drunken passion as it combines 3 things I love: Art, Comedy and Getting Drunk. It is an integral part of who I am and a sincere expression of my drunkest self. And now, a bit of history…

My Tippling Ties to Modern Drunkard
In 2008 I attended a local drinking and writing event at the Hopleaf bar in Chicago, and even found what I think is the relevant post on this very forum here:
Modern Drunkard wrote:I've been invited to give a speech of sorts at the Drinking and Writing Festival (at The Hopleaf Bar in Chicago) on Saturday. I'll be arriving Friday night, the festival chaps are giving me a dive bar tour, and if you'd like to join in for a number of rounds PM me and we'll exchange numbers. Should be a hoot.

Frank

Festival Link: http://www.drinkingandwriting.com/
I may very well have met Frank there and had a conversation with him, if he's the one who gave a speech about Hunter S. Thompson. I even faked smoking a cigarette with him (for which I am ashamed) as a young aspiring writer wishing to bend the ear of this magazine mogul. I may have even submitted a piece to The Modern Drunkard… or perhaps not. Memory doesn’t serve. In any case, that is where my tangential ties to the Modern Drunkard began, and why it occurs to me now to join this forum as I embark on new drunken pursuits.

My Drunk History
Apart from the occasional Barmitzvah wine, my first proper drink was a gin and tonic in Greece in 2004, though I was still underage for the U.S. at the time. Leinenkugel’s Honey Weiss broke me into beer, though it wasn’t long before I was enjoying Three Floyd’s Alpha King (before the hop craze got out of control) and even the coveted Dark Lord. My college culmination? I followed in my father’s footsteps by brewing beer in a trashcan in my dorm room. For a year I worked as a bartender at the Old Saint Andrews Inn in Chicago, serving my time as a purveyor of booze, and for a semester at a beer supply distributor, packaging hops and malts for all the DIY fermenters. My boss at the time offered me and my friends some Absinth, before it was legal in the U.S., which he claimed was smuggled in across borders in the nose of a propeller plane. These days I enjoy the persnickety flavors of those top shelf liquors or local offerings, but I am not above drinking from a jug of Carlo Rossi or a shot of Popov. While I may vehemently disagree with those who would champion the macro brew, in my liver of livers I say “vive la difference!” For me it’s all about the diversity of drunk and the drinking experience. Campari and tonic? Yes please. And did you know that if you mix Jägermeister with Coke it tastes like hard root beer? I like making margaritas with top-shelf tequila, or premium rum piña coladas because I figure if you’re going to ruin something it might as well be something good. I’ve been known to pick up a bottle of Serbian Plum Brandy, or Hungarian Zwack at the international supermarket, for as abrasive as those flavors may be, I desire to know how all our international brothers and sisters beg for the bottle. Having lived in Niigata Japan, the prefecture that produces the nation’s most premium rice (and therefore the most premium rice-based liquor), Sake holds a special place in my cup as well as the tart taste of umeshu. If you’ve never gotten drunk, eaten fried octopus, and sung karaoke with a Buddhist priest, I highly recommend it. If you’re ever traveling in Kyoto, let me share with you the best sake bar in the world, where the owner unorthodoxly ages rare sakes brewed once a year in mountain monasteries. While pursuing a Masters Degree in international relations at Johns Hopkins SAIS, many of my Chinese cohorts introduced me to that zinger known as Baiju. Lately I had a lick of Everclear, just because I never had. I’m currently getting into fruit ciders, and enjoy sharing my budding scotch collection, where tried-and-true Lagavulin 16 is my go-to, and Ardbeg Supernova is always good for a smack in the face.

I enjoy getting wasted in wine country, a meal and mead, a tour of Coor’s, a pub and pale ale, a biergarten and doppelbock, a shot in the dark, and most of all, a drink with friends. My passion for drink is here, for you to see, on full display. With fellow modern drunkards I have nothing to hide.
Last edited by JoyOfDrinking on Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

A warm welcome to you, sir. Your Drunkard credentials read very well, and I might ad quite eloquently. We'll look forward to your inebriate contributions. In the meantime, there is that long and venerable tradition to dispense with where the new member buys all the salty, old bastards a round. Let's make it a massive bowl of Fish House Punch with a mermaid swimming around the apricots and garnishes. I would have enjoyed watching Bob Ross paint that scene.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

JoyOfDrinking wrote:Hello Drunks...

...I enjoy getting wasted in wine country, a meal and mead, a tour of Coor’s, a pub and pale ale, a biergarten and doppelbock, a shot in the dark, and most of all, a drink with friends. My passion for drink is here, for you to see, on full display. With fellow modern drunkards I have nothing to hide.
As the Badfellow agreed, Well-fucking-met indeed, young sir.

Helluva solid way to introduce yourself, yup.

Looking forward to some good talking in the time ahead of us all.

---DRINK!

Can we drink now? ---peetie44
At rock bottom, there is no down. ---The Oett
^ ^ ^ Yes his entire cutlery set and all utensils are made from assorted broken bottles.--- The Artful Detective
Just remember Hugh: a good cocktail in a shitty glass is better that a shitty cocktail in a pretty glass.---The Badfellow
I'll buy the first round if you promise to stop being a cunt. --- Dear Booze

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Welcome aboard Joy. Well met indeed. Sounds like your creds are well in order though there may be a pop quiz on Skype at some point. And yes I will be calling you that from here forward 'cause in makes me snicker like a twelve year old.

It remains to be said.

Post often.
Post drunk.
Post drunk often.

I'll have a Four Roses Single Barrel since I just killed my last bottle.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

Yes, JoyofDrinking, welcome to the board. Your post made my head spin. Such a drunken life is such a wonder.
Found myself in the Matrix and took the red pill. Now I want the blue pill and my bottle and leave me alone.

Dear Booze
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Dear Booze »

Welcome Joy. I look forward to tales from you. I don't ever judge a book by its cover, but you do not seem like the type who has a shortage when it comes to words. This is a good thing.

I'll have a Guinness and a Jameson & Ginger.

Cheers.
DRINK!

JoyOfDrinking
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by JoyOfDrinking »

I'm just back here mixing drinks. LAST CALL.

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

Hey, don't forget some fine bourbon single barrel whiskey. Available where better whiskies are sold. Cheers!

Squire Cockburn
Souse
Souse

Post by Squire Cockburn »

Hi, I'm Arron. Drunken Anglo introduce me to the forum. I'm a medium drinker from the the Black Country in the English West Midlands.
Last edited by Squire Cockburn on Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GraveyardShiftChuck
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by GraveyardShiftChuck »

Howyadoin, Squire! Welcome aboard! Don't be shy when it comes to posting in these here forums. And in the MDF tradition, new guy buys a round. I'll have a John Lee Hooker Deluxe: an Evan Williams, a Johnny Walker Black, and a PBR.
May you all be hung, drawn and quartered!
Yes, HUNG - with gold and jewels,
DRAWN - in a coach and four,
and QUARTERED - in the finest homes in the land.

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

Squire Cockburn wrote:I'm a medium drinker from the the Black Country in the English West Midlands.
Well then, welcome Squire. I'm a heavy drinker of light-colored cocktails from the southeast side of North West Chester. Glad to meet you.

I'd like a Rum & Coke. Thanks.
DRINK!

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Ah, good Squire. I speak for Guy Fawkes in wishing you a warm welcome to the boards.
I'll have a Pimm's Cup with a splash of rye, if you please.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Welcome aboard Squire. It was nice meeting you the other night. Enjoy your stay.

Post often.
Post drunk.
Post drunk often.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Squire Cockburn
Souse
Souse

Post by Squire Cockburn »

Patchez wrote: Post often.
Post drunk.
Post drunk often.
I'll try my best.