Vodka straight?

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Vodka straight?

Post by Hugh »

While crawling around on my hands and knees looking for the cheap generic whiskey on the bottom shelf at the liquor store, I discovered that the vodka is actually a dollar cheaper than the whiskey. Why would this be so? Anyway, since I drink my whiskey straight and now that I've switched to vodka, I wonder if it is possible to drink vodka straight. I'm concerned I may end up looking like one of those red-nosed bloated Russian admirals if I do.

I found an "article" on vodka and the intricacies of drinking it straight: http://www.wikihow.com/Drink-Vodka#Drin ... raight_sub

Do my comrades here on drunkard.com agree with the above article?

If I have to take the time to mix vodka with juice or soda or whatever, I will take it back and exchange it for the more expensive whiskey. I do not have the time or motor skills to mix my drinks.

BTW, this 1.75 liter bottle of vodka was only $9.99. It's the cheapest booze I can find.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Vodka straight?

Post by Badfellow »

Drinking shots of chilled vodka is a great way to get your groove on, Hugh. But drinking bottom shelf vodka straight can be something of a challenge.

There are a few ways to deal with the harsh, industrial burn of shitty vodka, such as doctoring your shot with lemon or (as the Russians are fond of doing) chasing it with a bit of pickled vegetable or a bite of radish to help clean the garbage off your tongue. Another option is to run your bottom shelf vodka through a charcoal filter like the ones used in Britta and Pur water filtration pitchers. You might be amazed how well bottom shelf vodka cleans up after a pass or two through charcoal. I suggest buying 100 proof for this purpose.

Never forsake your whiskey roots. But don't be afraid to branch out into new liquor territory. It is better to regret something you have drank than something that you haven't drank.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Thanks for the vodka tips. Many of the food/booze sites I've come across seem adamant that vodka should be stored in a freezer and SIPPED (never slammed or even drunk). I'm always suspicious of experts who advise drinking alcohol cold - vodka and beer have been around much longer than refrigeration and I'm sure the drunkards of centuries past enjoyed their drinks without some snob exclaiming between sips, "you know, I really wish someone would hurry up and invent a freezer!"

Shane-O-Matic
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Shane-O-Matic »

What Badfellow said. Chilled vodka shots are a great way to add a kick to your night. Also, since vodka is more or less devoid of flavour, you aren't really mixing drinks...unless you're doing that already...which you more than likely are. Anyway, chilled vodka is good.

Believe it or not, vodka is considerably cheaper than whisky in Scotland. So I quite often find myself with vodka as a replacement. Makes it all the sweeter when I do get my hands on whisky - or whiskey - come payday.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Hugh wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:53 am
I'm always suspicious of experts who advise drinking alcohol cold - vodka and beer have been around much longer than refrigeration and I'm sure the drunkards of centuries past enjoyed their drinks without some snob exclaiming between sips, "you know, I really wish someone would hurry up and invent a freezer!"
Yeah but eating meat was also around longer than making fire, let alone spicing it. Warm vodka straight is really not that good in my opinion. The pickles chaser as BF noted is the classic russian way to go, mostly salted cucumber pickles. Lemon works too if you like it more fruity.
Drink!

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Well, four sips in to this generic vodka and I have to say it does not burn and it does not have the medicine taste that I was warned comes with cheap vodka. It's been in the freezer all week. However, I don't really like the taste of it, at least compared to the taste of whiskey which I don't really like all that much either.

BTW, the guys who live in the alley behind the liquor store don't chill their vodka prior to consumption.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Oh fuck no. When this shit reaches room temperature it burns like a mother fucker. No wonder Napoleon and Hitler invaded their evil asses. This shit is terrible.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Vodka isn`t supposed to burn, otherwise it would be called moonshine.
Cheap warm vodka is meant to taste like Immersion foot syndromes
Drink!

zip
Tippler
Tippler

Post by zip »

What brand is the vodka $9.99/1.75L? I don't see this mentioned. Would like more deets.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

The brand is Gran Legacy. You won't see it anywhere but CVS because it is CVS's own generic brand of booze.

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Gran Legacy...sounds classy.

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Clear liquor is for sissies.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

here in the uk bottom sheklf voidka is like 15 quid a litre and beam is always on offer somewhere for 18 quid a litre....I feel like the extra 3 quid is well worth my while... that being said I usually use bottom shelf vodka in my bloodys. after all that acidic shit is added you can't really taste if its good vodka or not. I also usually drink cheap as fuck gin in gin and tonics as I don't see a huge difference. gotta be good shit for martinis though
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

I was just checking my browser history to see what time I got home last night and it says I was reading this thread at 2 AM. I have no recollection of it whatsoever. Usually I can jog my memory and remember the prior night's drunk doings, but I'm coming up with nothing here. My laptop was on the coffee table along with a bottle of Coke, a half eaten bag of chips (chips all over the floor) and a Slim Jim wrapper. Nothing was open last night and I had to stop at a 24 hour store for dinner.

BTW, my browser history says I read this thread twice in rapid succession.

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

Hugh wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:07 pm
I was just checking my browser history to see what time I got home last night and it says I was reading this thread at 2 AM. I have no recollection of it whatsoever. Usually I can jog my memory and remember the prior night's drunk doings, but I'm coming up with nothing here. My laptop was on the coffee table along with a bottle of Coke, a half eaten bag of chips (chips all over the floor) and a Slim Jim wrapper. Nothing was open last night and I had to stop at a 24 hour store for dinner.

BTW, my browser history says I read this thread twice in rapid succession.
I bought bad santa 2 on dvd at 5.20am on xmas eve/xmas day morning on amazon. I wonder if I thought it'd arrive on time for the big day. it didn't...and I don't remember ordering it. only realised when it came through my post today.
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis