The Dive Bar Debate

Where you like to get loaded, and why.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

ScottMcG
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Re: The Dive Bar Debate

Post by ScottMcG »

Is it possible to save dive bars when you have assholes like Guy Fieri? Guy Fieri has ruined dive bars by showcasing them on cable. He completely destroyed a dive bar in Superior, WI that I hung out in for years. Now, I can't even get in because of all the strollers blocking the entrance.
Amateur demolition derby on the carpeting afterward

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Artful Drunktective wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:30 am
That was hilarious...and pretty spot on. I've watched Jon Taffer many a time. I like in the beginning the guy was wearing the MDM Fez with some Mardi Gras beads. HA!
Taffer is the sleaziest fuck stain on the planet. He takes perfectly good bars and turns them into soulless, profiteering, life draining shit pits. Fuck him and anyone involved with that show.
ScottMcG wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:01 pm
Is it possible to save dive bars when you have assholes like Guy Fieri? Guy Fieri has ruined dive bars by showcasing them on cable. He completely destroyed a dive bar in Superior, WI that I hung out in for years. Now, I can't even get in because of all the strollers blocking the entrance.
This is another threat to a good dive bar. Though most of the "dives" G.F. goes to won't pass the "someone got stabbed or shot there at least once" test.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

oettinger wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:26 am
Check out the latest from the MDM youtube channel on this very topic: Dive Rescue!
LMAO!!!
Found myself in the Matrix and took the red pill. Now I want the blue pill and my bottle and leave me alone.

Rooster
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Rooster »

Lush City wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:42 pm
oettinger wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:26 am
Check out the latest from the MDM youtube channel on this very topic: Dive Rescue!
LMAO!!!
This was better than I expected. Also, worse.

the_inebriati
Souse
Souse

Post by the_inebriati »

For me...one of the first things I look for are true alcoholics who are regulars..to see if it qualifies. I don't mean functioning/CEO alcoholics. I mean real, down and dirty, waiting on their next VA/pension/disability check. Alcoholics whose crows feet around their eyes and mouth tell of a live hard lived. They aren't "chic" or ironic slobs in their same t shirt from the 80's every day of the week, but it's just all they can manage to keep somewhat clean enough to wear. While they regale you with tales our how they told the man to stick it/punched out their company commander/told their college professor off or any other number of life derailing self inflicted f-you's to explain why they are sitting next to you on a bars stool at 11 am while you are on vacation and they are on Tuesday.

Two good spots for this in Honolulu: La Mariana "Sailing Club"(although it also satisfies the true Tiki bar category, and as of late with the younger management takeover, it has cleaned up a bit) and Smith's Union Bar (on the infamous Hotel st.)

DISCLAIMER: No place is completely safe from imposters/hipsters doing it to be ironic, so you could find some in both almost any day, unfortunately.

ScottMcG
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by ScottMcG »

A regular inhabitue at the bar down the street from our house can be frequently seen riding his bicycle, patch over his left eye, navigating the streets to the bar.

Is this bar a dive bar?

They have a popcorn machine. One of the bartenders, Paige, is gotta be the skinniest person I have ever seen. They have the usual beer/booze that the local crowd drinks.

No one has been shot or stabbed since I started going there ten years ago.

Maybe we need another term for a bar that is not so good, that is not hip, but doesn't conjure threat or ... malignancy? Frump? Does that work?

I'm tossing out ideas. Cuz I was almost stabbed in a bar in Superior, WI. I was hauled out of the bar by my roommates while I was swinging.

There are dive bars and there are other bars ...

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Resident Asshole »

A good test of a dive bar is whether or not there are people over 50 getting drunk there during the day. Also, Guy Fieri came to a friend's restaurant in town and his place was already busy as hell, I haven't been back since but I wish the best for him. He's an old school PBR drinker and he said Guy was cool. Then again, maybe he just liked being on TV.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Resident Asshole wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:05 pm
A good test of a dive bar is whether or not there are people over 50 getting drunk there during the day.
Spot on.
Drink!

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Also a good test is, if you are able to tell each old guys life story in sleep. It`s mostly saddening drama, sometime thriller, even rare is action but never comedy. I`ve seen some good big (edit again: big = bouncer big) drinkers shedding tears at five in the morning
Drink!

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

the_inebriati wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:02 pm
For me...one of the first things I look for are true alcoholics who are regulars..to see if it qualifies. I don't mean functioning/CEO alcoholics. I mean real, down and dirty, waiting on their next VA/pension/disability check. Alcoholics whose crows feet around their eyes and mouth tell of a live hard lived. They aren't "chic" or ironic slobs in their same t shirt from the 80's every day of the week, but it's just all they can manage to keep somewhat clean enough to wear. While they regale you with tales our how they told the man to stick it/punched out their company commander/told their college professor off or any other number of life derailing self inflicted f-you's to explain why they are sitting next to you on a bars stool at 11 am while you are on vacation and they are on Tuesday.

Two good spots for this in Honolulu: La Mariana "Sailing Club"(although it also satisfies the true Tiki bar category, and as of late with the younger management takeover, it has cleaned up a bit) and Smith's Union Bar (on the infamous Hotel st.)

DISCLAIMER: No place is completely safe from imposters/hipsters doing it to be ironic, so you could find some in both almost any day, unfortunately.
I understand you completely. Those heroes you are looking for have all passed on. What's left is a hodgepodge of self anointed drunks spewing god knows what kind of b.s. My advice is caveat emptor.
Found myself in the Matrix and took the red pill. Now I want the blue pill and my bottle and leave me alone.

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

ScottMcG wrote:
Wow! Sorry to hear that. I thought that only happened in New York and L.A.

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Lush City wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:28 am
ScottMcG wrote:
Wow! Sorry to hear that. I thought that only happened in New York and L.A.
It's like a hang of Hell's Angels, but much more dangerous. If you knocked all of those strollers over, imagine a horde of screaming yoga moms chasing you down the street.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

mistah willies wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:24 am
yoga moms chasing you down the street.
Mmmmmmmmmmm yoga moms.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

Patchez wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:04 pm
mistah willies wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:24 am
yoga moms chasing you down the street.
Mmmmmmmmmmm yoga moms.
In yoga pants!

ScottMcG
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by ScottMcG »

Lush City wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:26 am
yoga pants
Count me in. I'm there!