Drinking in the Military

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Rooster
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Drinking in the Military

Post by Rooster »

I come to you with forlorn news: drinking in the military has considerably subsided.

I'm not shaking the tree saying that it's become dry; but, our generations-old enemy, the Anti-Saloon League, has infiltrated the most hallowed of our institutions. Even "responsible" drinking has become gauche. A reckoning was always on the horizon, but for decades, it was just that: on the horizon. It started with "two-and-done (except with a waiver)" alcohol incidents and now it is "one-and-done." Good luck getting a waiver for that time you loaded up on cheap Imperial on deployment, and then told your Chief to go fuck himself because he stole one of your smokes.

What few E-clubs are left are stalked by jackboot Officers-of-the-Day, looking for the slightest sign of inebriation. The barkeeps measure liquor because profitability trumps the cold comfort that shots provide in this time of endless war and endless boredom. Military Police stalk the parking lots, waiting for a stumbling patron to loose their footing. Carrie Nation may not be there in person (God damn her soul); but, she is there in spirit... and keeping a hag-like watch over the spirits.

That being said; there are signs of hope. I'm on a base with one of the few remaining "All-Hands" clubs; and, every time I find a trash-can full of empties in my usual drinking-spot, it brings a smile to my face. We have an off-base, military-affiliated "club" that serves over thirty types of micro-brews (but, none on tap, because keg beer and liquor are the Devil in NE North Carolina), more than any bar in town. I was almost ready to write off the younger generation, but on one of my own Officer-of-the-Day rounds, I saw two people walking back from a canal in the furthest part of the base with a couple of empty 40s. It might be shameful for them, but Drunkards found a way that day.

While the hooliganism that pervaded the military in the past might (rightfully) be said to be both a waste of pay, property, and propriety... and, I certainly engaged in all three, myself; the stigmatizing of alcohol in today's military is a step too far. We're in a state of constant-war or constant-training while not engaging in constant-war and all of the yoga/gym classes in the world aren't enough to serve as a pressure-relief valve as much ol' John Barleycorn.

To the next service-member that high-sides a stolen Humvee in the ditches on Gitmo's Windward-side and has to face the green tablecloth, just know that I raise my glass to you... "back in my day," the promise (which you absolutely HAD to keep) of a night of free-drinking to Shore-Patrol was enough to keep you out of the Brig.

the_inebriati
Souse
Souse

Re: Drinking in the Military

Post by the_inebriati »

As an ex sailor and ex soldier this saddens me. It's my take that the military has chosen the wrong fork in the road on just about every single decision when it comes to personnel in the last 20 years or so.

When I was a submariner in the early 90's, not only was getting hammered permitted, the god damn Chief of the Boat would spin you a tale of how you were fulfilling your part in the tradition of the ancient mariner if he found you struggling to walk back to the boat on or off base and with a pat on the back and a tear in his eye help you into your rack.

Pussification of America...

Rooster
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Rooster »

While I mostly agree with you, I think it's more complicated than all of that.

-Chief-of-the-Wing

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

The Mid 80's in which i served in the Air Force saw the death of the two drink lunch toward the end of my hitch. I saw the writing on the wall, not to mention on an Article 15 and a few LORs, this may not be the best career choice for a lush.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

the_inebriati
Souse
Souse

Post by the_inebriati »

Patchez wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:09 am
The Mid 80's in which i served in the Air Force saw the death of the two drink lunch toward the end of my hitch. I saw the writing on the wall, not to mention on an Article 15 and a few LORs, this may not be the best career choice for a lush.
Well to be honest..the Air Force was even seeing the death of the push up in those days :)...

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

the_inebriati wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:01 pm
Patchez wrote:
Well to be honest..the Air Force was even seeing the death of the push up in those days :)...
True, which would have made it even better for a lush. Who wants to do PT with a raging hangover?
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Rooster
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Rooster »

Patchez wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:19 am
the_inebriati wrote:
Patchez wrote:
True, which would have made it even better for a lush. Who wants to do PT with a raging hangover?
That's why The Puddle Pirates don't have mandatory PT.

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Resident Asshole »

Sad state of affairs boys. If anyone should be allowed (not on duty) to throw back some booze it is certainly those who put their lives on the line. Hell, I don't even have a problem with a couple on duty but many cannot handle the fine line of being a drunkard.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

Rooster
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Rooster »

Resident Asshole wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:31 pm
Sad state of affairs boys. If anyone should be allowed (not on duty) to throw back some booze it is certainly those who put their lives on the line. Hell, I don't even have a problem with a couple on duty but many cannot handle the fine line of being a drunkard.
Going on 14 years motherfucker!

I was just a drunk during the first six.

the_inebriati
Souse
Souse

Post by the_inebriati »

Patchez wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:19 am
the_inebriati wrote:
Patchez wrote:
That's a good point. Friggin' drunks always make surprisingly good arguments...

gede
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by gede »

When/where do people find the time to get blasted when serving in the military?

Genuinely asking as I have no idea. I just assumed that either you were either actively deployed, or else you're at home living a normal life - presumably drinking as would any ordinary civilian/drunkard

Bur

Post by Bur »

Military mostly on ground level consists of waiting around to be in a fucking hurry for big part in my experience. Towards the end of the mandatory service there were literally days in row with nothing of great importance happening (of which I may have spent few decently buzzed on vodka we smuggled to the barracks).
At least the instructors I know have found creative ways to get sloshed with excuses such as"conferences/sauna evenings, etc." while using some poor sod of those in mandatory service as designated driver.

However this practice seems to generally frowned upon and has been on the down lately. However I don't think anyone gotten more than a stern talking to and a minimal fine after binging it up until 4 am and waking up at 6 to oversee combat training.
Just my 2 euro cents.

Probably different over there in many respects.

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

When I met Grumpy, he was an Airframes Gunny FAP'd to Staff NCO club manager. He went to work every day in slacks, shirt, and cowboy boots. One day, he had to report in Charlies and he was back in the hangar, and a much happier Grump he was. (Fast forward a couple few decades, he's a retired MGSGT (pineapple)--he's asleep, so i can say that--

anyway, he used to tell me about all the guys who'd order the Sergeant Major Burger with two beers, and maybe a couple more. I suppose that was the equivalent of the old three martini lunch. Of course,back then, the young troops weren't allowed booze in the barracks. Some cool Staff NCO's would turn their heads at field day inspection until the beer disappeared. (***burp***)

also, no cooking, and no animals. (other than Marines) Grumpy was divorced, living in old guy barracks, and had a hot plate, crock pot, full size fridge, a waterbed, tv, beta player (ask your mom), recliner, beer, handle of Jack, and a f***ing bird that liked to shit on hair and steal jewelry.

Anyway, I would be really surprised if today's military boys and girls weren't a bunch of fu----- drunks. Face it. The club system died a long, slow death. You're mourning a fleshed-tattered skeleton.
like tears in rain

Rooster
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Rooster »

So, while I mostly agree with Savage, I'm also going to disagree. Maybe I'm pissing into the wind.

We have a military-affiliated bar, off-base, where I live. When the younger generation gets invited to it; it's great. It is a safe-place to get blotto and your career isn't going to be put in jeopardy. The on-base bar is a different story. MILPOL sits outside it waiting for students to take the 200 yd. stumble back the barracks. The students can't drink at the beach or at the pavilion without being harassed, both on-base.

The off-base bar that is a non-profit, and got an endowment to keep them open. It is the sort of bar that if any of you Drunkards are in Eastern North Caorlina around the 20th of July, I would invite you to. I say that, as I'm having my retirement ceremony there. 30-40 beers, and a brown-bag-privilege for members of the club (NC laws are fucking weird).

Drinking in the military is alive-and-well; but, drinking-culture has died off.

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Rooster wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:36 pm
So, while I mostly agree with Savage, I'm also going to disagree. Maybe I'm pissing into the wind.

We have a military-affiliated bar, off-base, where I live. When the younger generation gets invited to it; it's great. It is a safe-place to get blotto and your career isn't going to be put in jeopardy. The on-base bar is a different story. MILPOL sits outside it waiting for students to take the 200 yd. stumble back the barracks. The students can't drink at the beach or at the pavilion without being harassed, both on-base.

The off-base bar that is a non-profit, and got an endowment to keep them open. It is the sort of bar that if any of you Drunkards are in Eastern North Caorlina around the 20th of July, I would invite you to. I say that, as I'm having my retirement ceremony there. 30-40 beers, and a brown-bag-privilege for members of the club (NC laws are fucking weird).

Drinking in the military is alive-and-well; but, drinking-culture has died off.
Doo, you are way up on the culture, where I am languishing in the years gone by. But really, why make the troops scatter to find booze. And, let's face it, girls and boys. Kids, (the boots) are looking for booze and a hook-up. Why make it so damn difficult for them to find it?
like tears in rain