Functional Retardic?

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

wtf
Tippler
Tippler

Functional Retardic?

Post by wtf »

So, what is the expert advice on being a functional, alcoholic parent?

shawnonious
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Re: Functional Alcoholic?

Post by shawnonious »

I'm going to counter-signal here.

Don't. Having a child would be one of the things that would really reign me in. Being a father, with a stable career, is my end goal in life. Seriously, put your child first. Nothing wrong with saucing on the weekends when there's a babysitter. But if there's not, either you're going to have marital problems, or severe problems with child-rearing if you both do it, and the State is going to take the child. You are at the state where you have a dependent human being, relying on you. Plese don't fuck this up.

When it comes to kids, suck it up, and be there for them, and undrunk the fuck up.

Be a good father. Be there. Don't be a douchecanoe. I was with the love of my life, and had cleaned up, and still lost this chance to be a father, for various reasons. Don't lose this.Two years down the line, it still hurts thinking about her, and the child she's had. Don't be me. undrunk up. Seize what you have.

Unless you're the fuckin' dude that ruined my chance with the love of my life. Then, eh, hit the everclear, please.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" -Tom Waits

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

^ ^ ^

Dayam, B, that was the moment of clarity.

It's true that a Modern Drunkard takes care of business like a professional, in everything approached. Be it drinking, or raising a young 'un, or "seizing what you have"

It's unseemly to be a staggering, blathering fool all 24 hours of the day.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Yep I second what Brandonman said. This is why I`ll probably never become a father. They took my ex girlfriends child away just like he described. Her drunk crying sessions especially during christmas time were brutal to endure
Drink!

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

What exactly do we mean by "alcoholic"? As a kid, I grew up around relatives who constantly had a beer in hand, and by some forms of definition they were all alcoholics.

Children being exposed to alcohol through culture and family is a fairly normal thing. Not that a person should get shitfaced in front of their kid, mind you, unless of course your kid is old enough to buy you drinks. Denying that alcohol exists in front of children is no better than getting drunk and neglecting them.

Just saying, the take on the question may be more complicated than appears at first glance.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Bullshit. Fuck a bunch of kids, Stay just undrunk enough to make money to stay drunk.

If i had a kid I would name him:
1. Popeye
2. Chertse Belovski
3. P'Tak
4. Special Patrol Group
5. Adolph
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

Lord Thurstongus wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:19 am
Fuck a bunch of kids, Stay just undrunk enough to make money to stay drunk.
I'm with you, except on the fucking a bunch of kids part.
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Lord Thurstongus wrote:
Bullshit. Fuck a bunch of kids, Stay just undrunk enough to make money to stay drunk.

If i had a kid I would kill it

Number zero:=?!"§& 0

.1 Shitface
69 upside down, inside out
100001644783737373 Catlitter #899088909090

1. Popeye
2. Chertse Belovski
3. P'Tak
4. Special Patrol Group
5. Adolph
Aha!
Always knew you were a child lover.
No ahem, meant, you are some lovely ch... ah fakk
Don`t quote me in court with this plz
Drink!

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Lord Thurstongus wrote:
3. P'Tak
Hey, cool! That's the Klingon word for feces!

I'd name my first born Stoopid Littlefucker.

ScottMcG
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by ScottMcG »

Badfellow wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:04 am
As a kid, I grew up around relatives who constantly had a beer in hand...

Just saying, the take on the question may be more complicated than appears at first glance.
Same here. At every family gathering, my parents or relatives had alcohol at hand. The nannies...or is it the ninnies...say that is alcoholism. Neither of my parents are alcoholics. I believe we need to be careful how we label behaviors.
Amateur demolition derby on the carpeting afterward

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Alcoholism is a belief, not a disease.

RIPT2.0
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by RIPT2.0 »

ScottMcG wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:49 pm
Badfellow wrote:

Same here. At every family gathering, my parents or relatives had alcohol at hand. The nannies...or is it the ninnies...say that is alcoholism. Neither of my parents are alcoholics. I believe we need to be careful how we label behaviors.

Well, mine are, at least in the world of politically correct definitions. Now that my Dad is 83 and my Mom is 87 they've toned down their act quite a bit. If Dad drinks too much he falls down. If Mom drinks too much she becomes very opinionated, so they both strive to behave in public. But there was a time when the Manhattens flowed every evening before dinner, with at least a few beers to follow after dinner. The fact that they're still alive and living independently means there's a small shred of hope for me! It's in my blood. I not only accept that I embrace it!

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Sammy wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:00 am
ScottMcG wrote:
Badfellow wrote:

Well, mine are, at least in the world of politically correct definitions. Now that my Dad is 83 and my Mom is 87 they've toned down their act quite a bit. If Dad drinks too much he falls down. If Mom drinks too much she becomes very opinionated, so they both strive to behave in public. But there was a time when the Manhattens flowed every evening before dinner, with at least a few beers to follow after dinner. The fact that they're still alive and living independently means there's a small shred of hope for me! It's in my blood. I not only accept that I embrace it!
These are your Modern Drunkards, most certainly. In quick assessment of the data provided in all of the responses in this thread to the O.P., it is sufficient to say: If you can't handle your booze and a job, then don't bring kids into the equation.

RIPT2.0
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by RIPT2.0 »

mistah willies wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:00 am
Sammy wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:00 am
ScottMcG wrote:

These are your Modern Drunkards, most certainly. In quick assessment of the data provided in all of the responses in this thread to the O.P., it is sufficient to say: If you can't handle your booze and a job, then don't bring kids into the equation.
Yup, and I might add that my folks raised 5 kids too. We never lacked for anything growing up. We lived in a nice house in a desirable suburb and had a summer cottage on a nearby lake. While we didn't all go to college, my Dad made sure that those of us who wanted to went to the best University we could get accepted to.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

mistah willies wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:00 am
...If you can't handle your booze and a job, then don't bring kids into the equation.
And that about sums it up.