Finding a Bible

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

shawnonious
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Finding a Bible

Post by shawnonious »

Last edited by shawnonious on Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" -Tom Waits

Dear Booze
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Re: Finding a Bible

Post by Dear Booze »

brandonman wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 7:26 pm
I finally realized the MDM series was posted on the youtube, months ago. I just now saw it last night. I'd forgotten about the site for a hot minute (No, I didn't drop the good fight!). The one episode got me thinking - I need a cocktail bible to attack. I looked for the one mentioned in the episode, and couldn't find it - I think it was fake. Myself and my best friend from birth, and fellow crewman of the life vessel known as Alcohol, got drinks and food tonight. I brought up that we need to find a massive world cocktail manual, and attack every drink known to man in said book, and go through it with a reasonable (by our standards, not your average layman's standards) timetable. He was in, with gusto.

That all said, what is THE go-to cocktail manual? I don't want some hipster yuppie mixologist fucking chemistry book. I want something unpretentious, yet comprehensive. Something masculine, but not in the lumbersexual lame hipster way. Something 1800s and early 1900s level classic, while being modern. Something that isn't just a strict recipe book without stories, without being obnoxious. Something up the MDM alley, basically. Is there some lost Generation comprehensive drink manual? Some no-frills manual with origin stories? Some gonzo-recounting of a booze-hound's life-long travels to every corner tavern on earth? We want something physical, where we can tick off, drink by drink, until we have plowed through them all. I was thinking on the order of a 1,000 cocktails, but that may be a little ambitious.
What a tremendous idea!

I worked as a bartender for years and every bar worshiped Mr Boston's Bartenders Guide. Every single bar had a copy sitting behind the bar.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Boston-Offici ... 0470390654

Although it isn't a recipe book, one of my favorite cocktail books is called "Straight Up or On the Rocks". It's a quick read and really describes the history of western drink culture, how prohibition helped shape how we drink today, and the overall importance of booze.

https://www.amazon.com/Straight-Up-Rock ... 086547656X

Somehow, I always found this to be a companion book to any recipe book because it seems to place drinks in prospective and context with trending tastes thoughout the last century.

These are my opinions, but I highly recommend both. And then, I hope to see your 1000 posts as you make your way though your liquid journey. This will be fun!
DRINK!

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

"Drink: A Social History of America" by Andrew Barr is probably one of my favorite reads on western alcohol history. The research and references are painstaking. No cocktail recipes though.

"And a Bottle of Rum: History of the New World in Ten Cocktails" by Wayne Curtis is another good read. Stories and cocktail recipes in one book!

Jerry Thomas is considered the father of American bartending by many and wrote a number of cocktail manuals dating from the mid nineteenth century.

Also, "The Necronomicon" by the Mad Arab Abdul Alhazrad contains a number of invokation rites for making a really nice, dry martini. Should be available in paperback by now.

Might have to write your own bible.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Bubblez
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Bubblez »

Badfellow wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 9:57 am

Also, "The Necronomicon" by the Mad Arab Abdul Alhazrad contains a number of invokation rites for making a really nice, dry martini. Should be available in paperback by now.

Might have to write your own bible.
Paperback beats having to recovber the original. Takes more than a few dead hookers for that
What would you rather do—leave a beautiful corpse, or a scorched Earth? Don’t live fast and die young. Live long and die hard.¸

—Sarah Szabo

I'm all for a scorched Earth policy. -- Me

shawnonious
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by shawnonious »

Last edited by shawnonious on Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Speaking of finding a bible... there was once a bible in the bedstand drawer of my room at the Motel 6. I used some of the less necessary pages to roll a doobie. How do think that would go over in a confessional booth?

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

You should read the magazine more often: I Drink the World: The Charles H. Baker Jr. Story
Drink!

shawnonious
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by shawnonious »

Shane-O-Matic
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Shane-O-Matic »

"Everyday Drinking" by Kingsley Amis is a great read, if perhaps a little dated. I think Bur still has my copy.

shawnonious
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by shawnonious »

Last edited by shawnonious on Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

its pronounced bibble
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

Jerry Thomas, the inventor of the Tom Collins known as the father of American mixology, finished Bar-Tender's Guide (alternately titled How to Mix Drinks or The Bon-Vivant's Companion), the first drink book ever published in the United States in 1862.

Hardcore Stig
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Hardcore Stig »

oettinger wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 11:19 am
You should read the magazine more often: I Drink the World: The Charles H. Baker Jr. Story
I own this and it is an incredible read. I hope my drinking life is as half as interesting as Mr baker Jr.
"That's only a problem if you stop drinking"

"Nationality? I'm a drunkard, and that makes me a man of the world"

"The word "pub" should never need to be followed by the word "why""

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

A bible ain't shit if the hubris of the acolyte don't listen to the grumpy, old wisdom and treatment of those who came before you.

What is an isle to you?

What really matters?

Ask these questions first before invoking the wrath of the elders, or let one's words tumble in the wash unto tiny grains of sand.

calx

Post by calx »

I'm still wondering if God wears a hat.

*taps foot*
Watch "The Money Masters" on youtube and read "The Creature From Jekyll Island" by G. Edward Griffin to unveil the true enemy.

Innovating the human race to extinction.™

Long live David Icke!