are you from the 80s

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Lush City, peetie44

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

are you from the 80s

Post by Hugh »

do yu listen to the 80s bands quiet riot fastway acdc motley cure ratt. remember those bands? how old are you? do you remember those songs? those were good times i q=wish iwas not in the navy and was drinking more and partying more. does anybody remember the hard rock heavy metal of the 80s i used to play loud music in the little trailer parek i lived in 1983. acdc quiet riot and other bands on a emerson stereo that i bought for 110 dollars. i playd cassettes i didn't have cds then. it's so different now you can play anything on youtube i notice the young people on youtube like the 80s music and i want to tell them that i lived it but they don't care anyway.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Re: are you from the 80s

Post by Hugh »

i ain't no fucking good

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

do you remember flipping through all the records and cassettes? it was different back than. i read a review n hit parader magazine and i went to the department store called Roses and i foudn the cassette. It was hard rock group Fastway. how could i have found it in a hick place liek middlesboro kentucky? but there ti was. it was different back than

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Hugh wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:37 am
It was hard rock group Fastway.
Hell yeah, Fast Eddie Clark, from Motorhead, I think I still have that album. I have a big box of vinyl in my storage room, along with a few dozen 8-tracks.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

In the 80s when booze was cheap and biches were easy
Drink!

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

It was all about the pre concert parking lot party to me.
Hugh, if you haven't seen this video, it has it all - the hair, the cars, the clothes, the underage drinking.
Heavy Metal Parking Lot
memories
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Artful Drunktective »

I loved Hit Parader Magazine. Love the 80's hair metal. Where I grew up we had this A.M. radio metal station that no one seemed to know or care about and that's where I heard Scatterbrain for the first time. (ThirstyD!).
ThirstyDrunk wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:17 pm

it all - the hair, the cars, the clothes, the underage drinking.memories
Okole maluna!

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

ThirstyDrunk wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:57 am
Hugh wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:37 am
It was hard rock group Fastway.
Hell yeah, Fast Eddie Clark, from Motorhead, I think I still have that album. I have a big box of vinyl in my storage room, along with a few dozen 8-tracks.
TD, in that review of Fastway, they mentioned Fast Eddie Clark's Motorhead background. They misspelled Lemmy Kilmister as "KilmiNster" and for years after that I always thought his name was KilmiNster. But I was from rural southeastern Kentucky, I had an excuse. There was no one to talk to about hard rock.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

oettinger wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:41 pm
In the 80s when booze was cheap and biches were easy
I love watching those GnR summer concert videos.

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

ThirstyDrunk wrote:
Hugh, if you haven't seen this video, it has it all - the hair, the cars, the clothes, the underage drinking.
Heavy Metal Parking Lot
memories
Heavy Metal Parking Lot was awesome. Some priceless shit in that film.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

ThirstyDrunk wrote:
Heavy Metal Parking Lot
memories
GOD FUCKIN DAMB. I haven't watched all of this video yet, but you have no idea what this means to me. Literally no idea, it is not what you think. It does not bring back pleasant memories, because I do not have them. I never got to participate in those concerts. I never saw a single one. I was a broke runaway (or, if you ask the woman who was the wife of my father, I was a "reject," not a runaway, but that's for a different thread) so I could never go to concerts. But here's the thing - I pretended like I did. whenever I was with a crowd of people getting drunk and stoned, I talked as if I knew all about the music scene. but all I really knew was what I read in Hit Parader. That and the music I listened to on my stereo after working the night shift at Burger King. In other words, i was a fake, a poseur. I had my long hair, my rebellious anger, but I didn't have two fucking pennies to rub together, so I never saw a single fucking concert.

But you know who did? My cousin Wanda. She caught AC/DC in Knoxville Tennessee before Bon Scott died. She showed me a picture of her and Angus Young in Angus's hotel room after the show. He was holding a cig between his index and middle finger with his thumb hooked over his belt, and his other arm around Wanda's shoulder. I thought it was the coolest pose ever, and when I got a Kodak camera for my birthday some time later, I made my little brother take a pic of me in that same Angus Young pose. Yes, my claim to fame is that Angus Young fucked my cousin Wanda. She also told me that Phil Rudd, AC/DC's drummer at the time, spent the entire night in the hotel lobby playing with a model race car track.

When I was on the verge of starving to death, I enlisted in the US Navy and went to boot camp in May of 1984. so my hair was cut short and I had a steady paycheck. there was nothing worse than having a steady paycheck and short hair as far as i was concerned in those days. Even though my enlisted sailor pay was probably only about five or six hundred dollars per month, I felt like I was a spoiled rich kid. I felt like a sellout who had no right to be angry. There I was, running around with a stupid military haircut and new clothes purchased from a department store. How in the fuck was I supposed to jam out to Judas Priest while I had neatly trimmed hair and laundered clothes? Goddamb, I almost committed suicide.

Hey - the very first time I heard the song Panama by Van Halen, I was in a large dining hall on a Navy base in Great Lakes, Illinois. Because it was being played on a portable boom box in a room too large for proper acoustics, and I was on the far side of the room, I thought David Lee Roth was singing "dirty ma" instead of "panama".

Something else - when i got to San Diego in 1985, I had a car with the turn knobs to tune the radio. The hard rock station in San Diego was 105.3, and because of chance and circumstance, I never tuned down that far. In other words, I never heard of Metallica until many years later. But that was an advantage. Because all of the people who had been listening to Metallica then, hated Metallica later when they thought that Metallica's sound had changed. I never went through that so called betrayal. So when St. Anger came out in 2003 (4?) I loved it, even though Metallica fans said it wasn't good enough. Bullshit! St. Anger is good, hard, angry music. It's one of my standbys every weekend night when I'm sitting in here drinking alone and hating the world.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Artful Drunktective wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:20 pm
I loved Hit Parader Magazine. Love the 80's hair metal. Where I grew up we had this A.M. radio metal station that no one seemed to know or care about and that's where I heard Scatterbrain for the first time. (ThirstyD!).
ThirstyDrunk wrote:

it all - the hair, the cars, the clothes, the underage drinking.memories
An AM station that played metal? Holy shit. the AM stations where I was from, southeastern Kentucky, only played gospel or news.

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Were there any decent bands in southeastern Kentucky back then?

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

scream ale wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:01 pm
Were there any decent bands in southeastern Kentucky back then?
No. But there weren't any bad ones either. There was nothing there but coal mines. And now even those are gone.

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Ever listen to any of the Louiseville bands on this? I love oddball shit from the late 70's/early 80's.