Drinking in the Military

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Drinking in the Military

Post by oettinger »

Savage wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:47 am
Rooster wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:36 pm
So, while I mostly agree with Savage, I'm also going to disagree. Maybe I'm pissing into the wind.

We have a military-affiliated bar, off-base, where I live. When the younger generation gets invited to it; it's great. It is a safe-place to get blotto and your career isn't going to be put in jeopardy. The on-base bar is a different story. MILPOL sits outside it waiting for students to take the 200 yd. stumble back the barracks. The students can't drink at the beach or at the pavilion without being harassed, both on-base.

The off-base bar that is a non-profit, and got an endowment to keep them open. It is the sort of bar that if any of you Drunkards are in Eastern North Caorlina around the 20th of July, I would invite you to. I say that, as I'm having my retirement ceremony there. 30-40 beers, and a brown-bag-privilege for members of the club (NC laws are fucking weird).

Drinking in the military is alive-and-well; but, drinking-culture has died off.
Doo, you are way up on the culture, where I am languishing in the years gone by. But really, why make the troops scatter to find booze. And, let's face it, girls and boys. Kids, (the boots) are looking for booze and a hook-up. Why make it so damn difficult for them to find it?
Nice to have Rooster chiming in. Do they sell every liquor at those bars? Or do you have to select from three underaged whiskys?
Drink!

Rooster
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: Drinking in the Military

Post by Rooster »

oettinger wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:09 am
Savage wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:47 am
Rooster wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:36 pm
So, while I mostly agree with Savage, I'm also going to disagree. Maybe I'm pissing into the wind.

We have a military-affiliated bar, off-base, where I live. When the younger generation gets invited to it; it's great. It is a safe-place to get blotto and your career isn't going to be put in jeopardy. The on-base bar is a different story. MILPOL sits outside it waiting for students to take the 200 yd. stumble back the barracks. The students can't drink at the beach or at the pavilion without being harassed, both on-base.

The off-base bar that is a non-profit, and got an endowment to keep them open. It is the sort of bar that if any of you Drunkards are in Eastern North Caorlina around the 20th of July, I would invite you to. I say that, as I'm having my retirement ceremony there. 30-40 beers, and a brown-bag-privilege for members of the club (NC laws are fucking weird).

Drinking in the military is alive-and-well; but, drinking-culture has died off.
Doo, you are way up on the culture, where I am languishing in the years gone by. But really, why make the troops scatter to find booze. And, let's face it, girls and boys. Kids, (the boots) are looking for booze and a hook-up. Why make it so damn difficult for them to find it?
Nice to have Rooster chiming in. Do they sell every liquor at those bars? Or do you have to select from three underaged whiskys?
Blue-laws here are in-effect.

It is brown-bag only during certain hours. Other hours it is open bar. Other hours, including my farewell, it is no brown-bag, and no liquor.