Another Solo Mission - Drinking alone? Post here!

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by Patchez »

Hugh wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:35 pm
Getting ready for a night of solo drinking right now! I feared I was making a nuisance of myself by overposting.

There's a book called Party of One by Anneli Rufus about being a loner. It is my bible now, and I recommend it to any loners out there.

Don't try to fit in where you don't belong! I tried to return to a favorite old dive bar of mine, but the new regulars just don't like me. I had noticed they seemed annoyed with me some time ago, but I kept going back anyway. then they got downright hostile. Maybe it's a good thing - I'll never pay the cab fare for it again!

Franzia, a laptop for writing crappy poetry, and a cheap apartment to drink and write in. That's all a loner needs.
Screw those ignorant assholes Hugh. You're always welcome here. Our Home for Wayward Drunks.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Post drunk
Post often
Post often drunk

You are not alone. I could post some Michael Jackson song with that title, but that would be awkwardly ill fitting
Drink!

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Off work early enough tonight to stop off at the liquor store. I *found* a new beer! Hamm's! (A search of the site reveals that the last time Hamm's was mentioned was in Jan '17 by Patchez.)

Anyway, it was in the six pack section right next to Budweiser, so I don't know how I missed it all these years. Here's the deal - it is one cent cheaper than Bud, but the cans are 16 oz compared to the 12 oz Bud. So that's an extra 24 oz of beer in a six pack for only one more penny!

I just took my first sip and I like it. It will be my regular beer from now on.

Why doesn't the CVS drug store across the street sell six packs of cheap beer? The only six packs they have are those craft thingies for $11,865.99. Anyway, I like the liquor store experience better. There are always crackheads and hobos in there keeping things lively.

To solo (and impoverished) drinking!

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

After getting rejected all last year, I decided not to submit any poetry until I felt I had improved enough to not waste the time of editors and judges. Two months ago I started submitting again, I felt it was good, it was definitely my best work. I submitted to two different places and got the first reject this morning. So I'm sure the other place will reject me too. I really thought I had it this time. Drinking while depressed is about the worst thing you can do, but fuck I need this drink tonight.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

There's a movie called Midnight Cowboy from 1969 that stars Dustin Hoffman as a petty thief and con man who lives alone in an abandoned building (squatting) in New York city. Does anybody know of any movies like that? Say, an urban recluse or an urban loner?

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Hugh wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:51 am
There's a movie called Midnight Cowboy from 1969 that stars Dustin Hoffman as a petty thief and con man who lives alone in an abandoned building (squatting) in New York city. Does anybody know of any movies like that? Say, an urban recluse or an urban loner?
How about Charlie in "Sunny in PHI" ?

https://youtu.be/yHQG6TMD_Gw

Or, there's The Fisher King. Robin Williams at his finest

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

One day Hugh, all your stuff will be released. Is it either aliens that wondered how planet earth went to far, or just poetry grandfather bothered grandchildren with on his deadbed
Drink!

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

mistah willies wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:04 am
Hugh wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:51 am
How about Charlie in "Sunny in PHI" ?

https://youtu.be/yHQG6TMD_Gw
I haven't seen this season yet. SPOILARZ!!! Made me laugh until I drooled, though.
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

Hugh wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:43 am
After getting rejected all last year, I decided not to submit any poetry until I felt I had improved enough to not waste the time of editors and judges. Two months ago I started submitting again, I felt it was good, it was definitely my best work. I submitted to two different places and got the first reject this morning. So I'm sure the other place will reject me too. I really thought I had it this time. Drinking while depressed is about the worst thing you can do, but fuck I need this drink tonight.
don't sweat it too much, remember how many rejections Buk got, and he is now out Lord and Saviour.
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Will be renting Fisher King tonight! Thanks for the recommendation.

This is the first weekend we get here in (most of) USA with our clocks back on regular time. The sun is asked to leave earlier, and the less I see of that bastard the better. Give me dark and rain. Better to drink and read by.

Just poured the first glass of Franzia Crisp White after a meal of heated up chili/no beans. THIS, my friends, is the life of a solo drinker. Canned food and boxed wine. Blinds down and door locked. Just me and the booze now.

Stay thirsty, my solo friends.

Dear Booze
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Dear Booze »

Hugh wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:43 am
Hugh, are you a member of Scribophile? If not, please check it out. It's a pretty decent online community of writers. You can post your work(s) for critique and you get pretty good feedback from other writers. Willies and I are on there to work out new tales before submitting for publishing. If you decide to try it out, reach out to me. I can be found under the name Colin Deal.
DRINK!

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Thanks, DB! Writers groups are definitely not for me. I sort of was in one once before. I stumbled into it online while searching for information on lit agents. I didn't contribute much to the group, I just used it to see what agents were looking for, how long their processes were, etc. One night, while drunk of course, I was reading a thread there titled, "Should white men stop publishing?" It was all about how the true literary geniuses of the world (the dimwits of the writing group, actually) couldn't get published because they were being crowded out by white men. And JK Rowling. Anyway, I responded with, "I squandered my white privilege on a loading dock job and a ten year old Ford." Banned.

Just like I drink solo, I write solo. I simply can not participate in group activities. I never show my stuff to anybody except the lit agent, editor, or judge I'm submitting to. I did make an exception once, while drunk of course, and sent a poem to a published poet in my Facebook friends list. He seemed to like it. I subbed it and it got rejected. (See above.)

Made it to the end of another week and picked up the six pack of 16 oz Hamm's! I could get used to this.

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

Hugh wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:56 am
Thanks, DB! Writers groups are definitely not for me. I sort of was in one once before. I stumbled into it online while searching for information on lit agents. I didn't contribute much to the group, I just used it to see what agents were looking for, how long their processes were, etc. One night, while drunk of course, I was reading a thread there titled, "Should white men stop publishing?" It was all about how the true literary geniuses of the world (the dimwits of the writing group, actually) couldn't get published because they were being crowded out by white men. And JK Rowling. Anyway, I responded with, "I squandered my white privilege on a loading dock job and a ten year old Ford." Banned.

Just like I drink solo, I write solo. I simply can not participate in group activities. I never show my stuff to anybody except the lit agent, editor, or judge I'm submitting to. I did make an exception once, while drunk of course, and sent a poem to a published poet in my Facebook friends list. He seemed to like it. I subbed it and it got rejected. (See above.)

Made it to the end of another week and picked up the six pack of 16 oz Hamm's! I could get used to this.
I think you have got to get some other eyes on your work before submitting to agents or for publishing. If not, you are just setting yourself up for more heartache. You are better than that.

If you would like a little unbiased feedback (comments and critiques), I would be happy to read whatever you have.
DRINK!

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

What are prices for six-pack cans in your area?

At Del Mission Liquor in San Diego, CA, a six pack of 12 oz Bud is $6.78. A six pack of 16 oz Hamm's is $6.79.

Why is bottled beer more expensive? Years ago there was a television commercial for some cheap beer (I forget the name) and the commercial ended with a guy exclaiming, "Bottled beer taste - IN A CAN!" as if bottled beer was supposed to be superior.

Saturday night, freshly showered/shampooed, a meal of Chef Boyardee and a ham sandwich. It's time to drink!

26 years ago this month Bukowski wrote a letter to his publisher explaining how he deals with nutcases who send him letters in the mail. "I'm not sure but over the haul of time I've found the best method is simply non-response. Formality only enrages them and kindness never works." He was explaining it because his publisher had started getting letters from nutcases too.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

So I just did a side by side taste test of Hamm's and Budweiser and the Bud does taste better. But the Hamm's is still good. If Bud is a 5, then Hamm's is a 4. (But due to the extra 4 oz, I give it a 5.)