Another Solo Mission - Drinking alone? Post here!

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by Hugh »

Woohoo! Just went to the liquor store across the street for another six pack of Hamm's. There was a group of "fabulosos" over there buying vodkas and orange juices, etc. and one of them tried to jump in front of me in line. the clerk told him that I was next and made him wait!

There was some homeless guy outside the liquor store with a notebook and pencil. I stopped in front of him to ask him what he was writing about, but he didn't answer. I was going to offer him a Hamm's if he would tell me, but he had a tall boy of something in a bag, and he didn't want to chat. I noticed that his pencil wasn't moving over the page as if he was waiting for inspiration before writing or drawing. i didn't bother him anymore and went home. To post this.

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Hugh wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:01 pm
What are prices for six-pack cans in your area?

At Del Mission Liquor in San Diego, CA, a six pack of 12 oz Bud is $6.78. A six pack of 16 oz Hamm's is $6.79.

Why is bottled beer more expensive? Years ago there was a television commercial for some cheap beer (I forget the name) and the commercial ended with a guy exclaiming, "Bottled beer taste - IN A CAN!" as if bottled beer was supposed to be superior.

Saturday night, freshly showered/shampooed, a meal of Chef Boyardee and a ham sandwich. It's time to drink!

26 years ago this month Bukowski wrote a letter to his publisher explaining how he deals with nutcases who send him letters in the mail. "I'm not sure but over the haul of time I've found the best method is simply non-response. Formality only enrages them and kindness never works." He was explaining it because his publisher had started getting letters from nutcases too.
A tall sixer of Genny is roughly 5-5 something max at the grocery store near me. Although I was literally just there my memory is complete shit.

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

you don't see a lot of 6 packs over here in the UK, some craft beers and sometimes on a few premium priced lagers. Most beer in sold in 4, 10,12, 15, 18 or 24 packs and nearly all canned beer here (again withe the exception of craft and a few premiums) is sold in 440ml or 500ml can (i think like 16-18 oz??) a 4 pack of 440's would be like £3-£5 dependent on beer, maybe a bit less at a cheap store and a bit more at a petrol station or more expensive place. I would never buy in smaller quantities though, it can be nearly half the price per liter when you go for an 18 rack.
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

That's something I always think about when buying a six pack - I would have saved money if I bought the 12 or 18 pack. But it's easier to part with the smaller sum of money.

WOOHOO! I'm on a one week paid vacation, and with this holiday I don't have to be back to work for ELEVEN DAYS! I just cracked open my first Hamm's and I can sleep in late tomorrow - no fucking family to mess up my Thanksgiving.

Do any of you loners out there get invitations from people who have pity for you thinking that you will be lonely if you don't spend Thanksgiving or Christmas with someone? I used to. For almost a decade I would go to a Tgiving dinner hosted by a friend who invited scores of other friends to her home. Over time, I knew fewer and fewer of the people there, and then about ten years ago I turned down the invitation. It was like a catharsis! I finally got my holiday back. But even at work, people who know I'm a loner ask me what I'm going to do for Tgiving or Christmas, and when I tell them ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NOTHING! they are in shock. One guy called me a "machine" when I told him I don't do holidays, I'm not sure what he meant by that, but it must have something to do with a lack of need to be with other people.

Drink up solitaries! Let the non-loners think that this is their time of year. We laugh at their traffic jams and airport delays, alone with our booze.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

One of my Facebook friends from England has been posting stuff about Black Friday deals in stores. But England doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving. Have you guys appropriated a portion of our holiday?

Earl
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by Earl »

And so the Thanksgiving ( Dranksgiving ) holiday begins. A solo mission indeed. An inaugural valium and a pour of Oban 18 to start the day. I've got a full plucked duck that I plan on contributing to our later day celebration. I stopped by to check in to confirm if anyone else was starting out on the same page as I did, but not luck. Ok, I'll return back in a few hours with bourbon and barrel aged gin I brought from the distillery ( mixes well with eggnog ) Hopefully this will influence others to kick off some drinking. Crossed paths with a lady friend I had spent some brief time with who happen to express disappointment in me and how I've handled myself in a non-existent relationship between the two of us. This had somewhat shifted my favorite holiday vibe. Ok, no holding back now. One more pour, crank some tunes and prep for the good times today will bring. Side note, every bar in town decided to stay open so I can at least go down there to spread some liquid havoc. Happy Thanksgiving all. Even it it turns into another solo mission, I know I can report back to you guys to share some holiday drinks with. Cheers

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Hugh wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:28 am
That's something I always think about when buying a six pack - I would have saved money if I bought the 12 or 18 pack. But it's easier to part with the smaller sum of money.

WOOHOO! I'm on a one week paid vacation, and with this holiday I don't have to be back to work for ELEVEN DAYS! I just cracked open my first Hamm's and I can sleep in late tomorrow - no fucking family to mess up my Thanksgiving.

Do any of you loners out there get invitations from people who have pity for you thinking that you will be lonely if you don't spend Thanksgiving or Christmas with someone? I used to. For almost a decade I would go to a Tgiving dinner hosted by a friend who invited scores of other friends to her home. Over time, I knew fewer and fewer of the people there, and then about ten years ago I turned down the invitation. It was like a catharsis! I finally got my holiday back. But even at work, people who know I'm a loner ask me what I'm going to do for Tgiving or Christmas, and when I tell them ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NOTHING! they are in shock. One guy called me a "machine" when I told him I don't do holidays, I'm not sure what he meant by that, but it must have something to do with a lack of need to be with other people.

Drink up solitaries! Let the non-loners think that this is their time of year. We laugh at their traffic jams and airport delays, alone with our booze.
I typically spend Thanksgiving with my mom and/or sister, which is what I did earlier. I typically enjoy myself immensely, which I did earlier today. Xmas I could do without although I usually get offers to go places and do things. I just have no use for it. I usually get strange looks from the people at work when I try to explain why I don't get all worked up for the 25 th of December. On the bright side for the first time in years Xmas is a paid lost day of work for me.
Woo!
Cheers and beers to all!

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

I don`t get invited anymore, over the years people learned to figure out my answer. Edit actually it`s over ten years now
It would need to be the most kick-ass party of the century to lure me out off my comfy-zone.
Drink!

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

Hugh wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:31 am
One of my Facebook friends from England has been posting stuff about Black Friday deals in stores. But England doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving. Have you guys appropriated a portion of our holiday?
I had no idea that the black Friday sales had anything to do with thanksgiving....we have them here but I think people just assume it's on a random thrown together Friday in November. I'm not complaining I got some cheap bourbon out of it.
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

Dear Booze
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Dear Booze »

benitobeast69 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:59 pm
Hugh wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:31 am
I had no idea that the black Friday sales had anything to do with thanksgiving....we have them here but I think people just assume it's on a random thrown together Friday in November. I'm not complaining I got some cheap bourbon out of it.
It doesn't really hane anything ti do, directly, with Thanksgiving. Black Friday is the day when retailers finally begin to turn a profit for the year. Until the last week in November, retailers actually operate at a loss, or "in the red". Generally, profits for the calendar year are made during the second half of the fourth quarter (placing the "in the black"). This time period is so important that many retailers stage huges sales to lure customers through their doors. So, with or without Thanksgiving, black friday exists.
DRINK!

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Hugh wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:56 am
There was some homeless guy outside the liquor store with a notebook and pencil. I stopped in front of him to ask him what he was writing about, but he didn't answer. I was going to offer him a Hamm's if he would tell me, but he had a tall boy of something in a bag, and he didn't want to chat. I noticed that his pencil wasn't moving over the page as if he was waiting for inspiration before writing or drawing. i didn't bother him anymore and went home. To post this.
If this isn't poetry, then you must have natural cadence.

I tend to purchase guzzling-beers in large quantities, but I don't do this often because of a secondary reason: my knees hurt from walking back home with 24 cans in my backpack and 12 packs in my hands. The primary reason is because i don't like the way strangers look at me outside.

See, I used the little i as well.

keep it up Hugh.

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

There's a nice little area in town with about 15 bars all within three or four blocks. I've decided to try to have a drink in each one today. I'm flying solo, so I don't have to worry about any agenda but my own. There is an oddly sad beauty in this.
DRINK!

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

Dear Booze wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:27 pm
There's a nice little area in town with about 15 bars all within three or four blocks. I've decided to try to have a drink in each one today. I'm flying solo, so I don't have to worry about any agenda but my own. There is an oddly sad beauty in this.
You're a nomadic drunk. I much prefer to hunker down in a single sweet spot.
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

solo bar crawls are woionderful.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Last day of vacation, back to work tomorrow. I hit the bars a few times this week, and as usual, misbehaved. But I learned something.

People don't make as big of a deal out of my misbehavior as I do. When I returned to the scene of the crime two days later, not only was I not 86'd, they were happy to see me. They all told me that my apologies were unnecessary. I always agonize over my behavior (or over something I may have said), the next day after going to the bars. Often, I won't go back for weeks, hoping that whatever I did last time I was there will be forgotten. But it's all just hyper-self consciousness. They don't give a shit, just like I don't give a shit when I observe some other drunk making a fool out of himself in public.

But tonight it's back to solo drinking. Starting early because I have to be back at work tomorrow. There are seven Hamm's in the fridge, then I'll hit the whiskey if needed. And with the floors freshly mopped, clean sheets on the bed, and myself freshly showered, it's gonna be a good drunk. There's nothing better than drinking alone in a clean apartment.