The Dive Bar Debate

Where you like to get loaded, and why.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Re: The Dive Bar Debate

Post by Lush City »

OK. Another aspect is the women encountered in dive bars. We are not talking about the playboy club. You get what you pay for. Hopefully you're just too old to have any opinion and want to be left alone. Sorry for not being politically correct but you can't rewrite human nature. Dive bar aficionados know the score and play it well.
Found myself in the Matrix and took the red pill. Now I want the blue pill and my bottle and leave me alone.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Lush City wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:02 am
OK. Another aspect is the women encountered in dive bars. We are not talking about the playboy club. You get what you pay for. Hopefully you're just too old to have any opinion and want to be left alone. Sorry for not being politically correct but you can't rewrite human nature. Dive bar aficionados know the score and play it well.
You are spot on! But the same has to be said about the male attendees. Average Joe might be a good drinker but also a disgusting slob.
I for example only look in mirrors when I`m doing lines
Drink!

ScottMcG
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by ScottMcG »

oettinger wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:05 am
Average Joe might be a good drinker but also a disgusting slob.
There is a noted negative correlation between general attractiveness and drinking ability. The greater the ability to hold ones liquor, the lower the overall physical attractiveness of said person. Based on that, I usually hit up the ugliest person in the bar for drinks.

Lately, I've noticed a lot of ugly women inviting me to drink. Not sure what to make of that.
Amateur demolition derby on the carpeting afterward

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

Oh, well, just to keep this thread alive, it's a necessity to have a dive bar in your neighborhood within walking distance. If not, you chose not to live near one and will suffer the remorse of drinking alone where you could be at a stinky bar watching TV getting shit faced and everyone is a long lost companion.
Found myself in the Matrix and took the red pill. Now I want the blue pill and my bottle and leave me alone.

ScottMcG
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by ScottMcG »

Lush City wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:02 am
Another aspect is the women encountered in dive bars.
They are not keepers, at least not by current societal standards. The big question I have is, do they consider me a fixer-upper or move in ready.
Amateur demolition derby on the carpeting afterward

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

I loved some of the dive bars I visited when I was in the states. I nearly had a problem with one when in florida when after 8-9 beers I ordered a bourbon and coke and they told me they didn't have a liquor licence....luckily they told me I could go grab a bottle from the liquor store next door and drink it inside as long as I paid for a beer back. I feel like the reason we don't have much similar in the UK is that a lot of our pubs share similar qualities. Bars here tend to (but not always) be more upmarket than pubs. There's some beautiful upmarket pubs but also some great divey pubs as well.
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

benitobeast69 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:38 pm
I nearly had a problem with one when in florida when after 8-9 beers I ordered a bourbon and coke and they told me they didn't have a liquor licence...
No bourbon... in a bar.. what the fukk.
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

A bar without a liquor licence? Now that is strange.

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

scream ale wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:53 pm
A bar without a liquor licence? Now that is strange.
I bet it's like how up north, them Grange Halls can have wet events, just can't provide it.
Not quite "don't look don't tell" stuff

... A Quebecoise phrase comes to mind:
Lazy Fairies.

Something like that

Dear Booze
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Dear Booze »

Not sure how it is in other states, but here in California there are several types of liquor licenses. In general, there are two main categories: On Sale (to consume on site, like a bar or restaurant that sells booze) and Off Sale (to purchase to take away, like a liquor store). Both of these can have one of two types of licenses too. Full liquor, or beer and wine only.

I used to work at a bar called the Olympic Tavern. It was a very popular dive with live local bands. It was beer and wine only.

A full on sale liquor licence can cost north of $40,000!

A on sale beer and wine license is under $2,000.
DRINK!

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

So in Cali what determines if a bar opens at 6am? There aren't enough of those. Maybe it's a private business decision considering who the fuck would want to open a bar shortly after dawn. If they are paid enough they will open it. What will the neighborhood have to say when all these rummies show up looking to whet their whistles in the early morn. Yes, I've done that and it was most pleasurable. It's those damn neighboring property owners. You have to really search them out to find them.

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

Lush City wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:27 pm
So in Cali what determines if a bar opens at 6am? There aren't enough of those. Maybe it's a private business decision considering who the fuck would want to open a bar shortly after dawn. If they are paid enough they will open it. What will the neighborhood have to say when all these rummies show up looking to whet their whistles in the early morn. Yes, I've done that and it was most pleasurable. It's those damn neighboring property owners. You have to really search them out to find them.
There is a dumpy dive close to where I work that opens st 6am. I've been there shortly after they open. It's full of hispital workers and off duty cops. For those who work graveyard shift, 6am is their 5pm. Makes sense.
DRINK!

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

Dear Booze wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:03 pm
Lush City wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:27 pm
There is a dumpy dive close to where I work that opens st 6am. I've been there shortly after they open. It's full of hispital workers and off duty cops. For those who work graveyard shift, 6am is their 5pm. Makes sense.
Yes, you need to be as close as possible to LAX. They do abound if you know where to go. It's better to be well stocked at home.

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

in the uk I think you only have 2 different licences...on or off. meaning you can sell for consumption on site or off site. I've never experienced a bar or shop here that can sell beer but not liquor. you can buy hard liquor in a corner shop or petrol station...costs more than at a supermarket though.
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

Lush City
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Lush City »

I think today as in days past one of the leading indicators that you are sitting in a dive bar is the ever present scent of Pinesol deodorizer. There has to be noisy pinball machines, too.