Have you ever been 86'd from your favorite bar?

Where you like to get loaded, and why.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

Gin-soaked-girl wrote:But do all your pubs have bouncers? It seems to be an ever-increasing trend over here in the cities. Quiet locals are still usually alright though.
Good point. What kind of bar is employing bouncers anyways? Usually a preppy rich-kid bar, a "young professionals" bar, or a college bar, all establishments that I don't care to visit in the first place.

There's only two bars with bouncers that I'll frequent in Philly. One is McGlinchey's, the premier dive-bar down in Center City, and bartenders are a necessity there to check IDs. The other is McGillin's, the oldest continually operated bar in the city, also in Center City, that has such great deals and great food as that its impossible to not frequent. And of course its Center City location leads to alot of amateur Penn students.
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

The Lush
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by The Lush »

coqui_chris wrote:
Gin-soaked-girl wrote:But do all your pubs have bouncers? It seems to be an ever-increasing trend over here in the cities. Quiet locals are still usually alright though.
Good point. What kind of bar is employing bouncers anyways? Usually a preppy rich-kid bar, a "young professionals" bar, or a college bar, all establishments that I don't care to visit in the first place.

There's only two bars with bouncers that I'll frequent in Philly. One is McGlinchey's, the premier dive-bar down in Center City, and bartenders are a necessity there to check IDs. The other is McGillin's, the oldest continually operated bar in the city, also in Center City, that has such great deals and great food as that its impossible to not frequent. And of course its Center City location leads to alot of amateur Penn students.
Shite, there was me thinking they were a necessity to sell me booze! Now I know better.
"If moderation is the key to the door then indulgence is the fucking chainsaw" One of the greatest men to ever live.

bluefox
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by bluefox »

The biker bar in town only employs a bouncer on weekend nights when it will be packed. Otherwise, the bartenders (including my girlfriend) get the pleasure of kicking out scary looking 300 pound bikers.

I weigh 180 pounds and am employed as a computer nerd. I love it when I get to kindly ask gentlemen to leave the establishment.

What are you gonna do, when bluefox runs wild over you?

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

The Lush wrote:
coqui_chris wrote:

Shite, there was me thinking they were a necessity to sell me booze! Now I know better.
Oops, meant "bouncers," not bartenders. My bad.

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

bluefox wrote:I weigh 180 pounds and am employed as a computer nerd. I love it when I get to kindly ask gentlemen to leave the establishment.

What are you gonna do, when bluefox runs wild over you?
Well, if you make sure to say your prayers and eat your vitamins first, I have complete confidence in you.

Malkor
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Malkor »

Ive stopped attending certain pubs in my town . they used to be good but then they got late licences so could stay open till 2am..the owners got all excited and decided they'd start putting bouncers on the doors, sounds sensible if they had them on from the end of normal hours untill the end of the night but they have them there all day to look good, it dosent look good it looks menacing. i personally now only drink in the small local pubs like the one 10 minutes down tyhe road from me, its great, small dark and the same people every day. a nice place to drink in the day with no fear of being disturbed by unnessacery light or luch time drinkers (i like quiet bars so i can concentrate on my boozing, trust me i do go to lively bars with friends but for lone drinking i like the quiet ones)
oh and the landlord lets me get as drunk as i like and never makes me feel unwelcome
sorry, I kind of went off on one there! :)

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Have you ever been 86'd from your favorite bar?

Post by Hugh »

I haven't, but I don't know why not. Sometimes I'm a bad drunk. I can sit and drink for hours (one day I drank at my favorite dive for 10 hours) but the drunker I get the worse I behave. Yesterday I drank for seven hours, and started running my mouth. I said something I shouldn't have about one of the regulars, and she overheard me and went off. I left immediately, but I fell down out on the sidewalk. Some kind stranger came by and got an Uber for me. I haven't been back to the bar today, and I'm too embarrassed to ask any of my friends if they've heard anything about me being 86'd. Frankly, I probably have NOT been 86'd, but it is possible. But worse than that was me running my mouth and causing someone else to get upset.

If you've been 86'd from a favorite bar, do you go back and ask to be reinstated? I don't think I could do that, no matter how much I like the bar.

I'm so depressed over this I stayed in bed all day today. Perhaps I should just self-86 and never go back. I could find another dive to drink in, but god knows how long it'd be before I run my mouth there, too.

buzzsaw
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Re: Have you ever been 86'd from your favorite bar?

Post by buzzsaw »

Hugh wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:05 am
I haven't, but I don't know why not. Sometimes I'm a bad drunk. I can sit and drink for hours (one day I drank at my favorite dive for 10 hours) but the drunker I get the worse I behave. Yesterday I drank for seven hours, and started running my mouth. I said something I shouldn't have about one of the regulars, and she overheard me and went off. I left immediately, but I fell down out on the sidewalk. Some kind stranger came by and got an Uber for me. I haven't been back to the bar today, and I'm too embarrassed to ask any of my friends if they've heard anything about me being 86'd. Frankly, I probably have NOT been 86'd, but it is possible. But worse than that was me running my mouth and causing someone else to get upset.

If you've been 86'd from a favorite bar, do you go back and ask to be reinstated? I don't think I could do that, no matter how much I like the bar.

I'm so depressed over this I stayed in bed all day today. Perhaps I should just self-86 and never go back. I could find another dive to drink in, but god knows how long it'd be before I run my mouth there, too.
Story of my life, dont sweat it. Soon as i heard "she" and "86d" i knew a fella had been wronged. Hang in there man. Yes, no talking is just our game (subtly hidden)

buzzsaw
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by buzzsaw »

Honestly, i wouldnt go back there. Plenty of other places to actually have a good night at. Drinking at home alone is never beneath me either

And just to reiterate, i did the same shit as recently as early December

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

I once stumbled into one of my favorite pubs already punch drunk. The owner refused to sell me more until a friend guarantied I`ll not break anything and even put his i.d. up for deposit for whatever reason. (I mean, what is he supposed to do with it just in case...??!?!?)
Needles to say I broke some fance whisky glass immediately.
Another time I was asked out beacuse I was mistaken for someone else. Like really? How many bald, yet long haired, 6'2, 240 pound metal heads do frequent that place?
Drink!

buzzsaw
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by buzzsaw »

You know those cheesy punching bag machines? Yeah... Those things always make me look like a douche, they are like a douche magnet, and I tend to be victim. Just don't forget to yell "grand champion!" when you punch the hell out of that thing, because you'll have at least 20 dudes talking shit to you afterwards... lol..

buzzsaw
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by buzzsaw »

oettinger wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:42 am
I once stumbled into one of my favorite pubs already punch drunk. The owner refused to sell me more until a friend guarantied I`ll not break anything and even put his i.d. up for deposit for whatever reason. (I mean, what is he supposed to do with it just in case...??!?!?)
Needles to say I broke some fance whisky glass immediately.
Another time I was asked out beacuse I was mistaken for someone else. Like really? How many bald, yet long haired, 6'2, 240 pound metal heads do frequent that place?
lol

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

I was drinking in my back-up dive bar yesterday, and after I got drunk I decided to go back to the scene of the crime. Not only am I not 86'd, nobody had even heard any talk making the rounds about anything that I might have done Friday night. In fact, the woman who I'd upset (or maybe just thought I'd upset) came in and acted completely normal, she didn't say a thing to me despite sitting nearby. Maybe I made this whole thing bigger than it was. But goddamb - I'm glad I got my bar back! In fact I had a rip-roaring good time last night. Will be going back tonight.

WOOHOO! - to quote Homer Simpson.
Last edited by Hugh on Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

At my backup bar yesterday there was someone there who actually drank longer than I did. He was there when I arrived and still there six hours later when I left. I don't think I've ever seen that in my life, someone sitting at a bar longer than me.

Once not too long ago I began drinking in the morning and later that evening someone came into the bar and said, "Have you been here all this time?" She had been in there that morning for a drink before going to work, and came back in after work. She couldn't believe I spent the entire day on that same barstool.

BTW, that's how Bukowski used to drink when he lived in Philadelphia. He would be in before the bar even opened (the opening bartender would let him in early) and he'd still be there when it closed. He'd sometimes go out for a nap in the alley or a nearby graveyard during the day. He said kids would come by and poke him with sticks while he was passed out. He also used to get in fights with the night shift bartender, it was portrayed in the movie Barfly.

But that's what I believe bars are for. To get drunk. I used to feel embarrassed if I thought people noticed I'd been sitting there like a lump on a log all day. Not anymore. If somebody wants to go to a bar to socialize, good for them. But I don't do that. I'm there to get drunk.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

I've been 86'd from quite a few bars. They become a self imposed lifetime ban for me as I won't set foot in any of them again. Fuck 'em. They won't let me free the inner monkey on occasion? Then they don't need all the cash that rolls outta my pockets on the easier days either.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice