Barleywines.

Ask about or post your favorite drinks.

Moderators: Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar

Patchez
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Barleywines.

Post by Patchez » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:58 pm

I can't recall in my present state... inebriated. Someone mentioned the lack of barleywines on the market. They had a valid point.

As a counterpoint I offer this. Brew. Your. Own.

Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

oettinger
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Re: Barleywines.

Post by oettinger » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:14 am

What the heck is Maris Otter Liquid?
I do not remember posting that ^^^

Patchez
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Patchez » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:55 am

Marris Otter liquid extract. The last word was continued on the next page.

oettinger
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by oettinger » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:16 am

Ah ok
I do not remember posting that ^^^

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies » Mon May 13, 2019 11:57 pm

So many bon mots throughout the forum that may go unnoticed unless one is properly inebriated...
oettinger wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:14 am
What the heck is Maris Otter Liquid?
Patchez wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:55 am
Marris Otter liquid extract. The last word was continued on the next page.
oettinger wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:16 am
Ah ok
The missing word is "malt"
but what is hilarious is that any of this actually makes sense

Otter juice *hiccup*

Rye and Coke
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

Post by Rye and Coke » Tue May 21, 2019 4:26 pm

Ha, that was me. Yeah, if I could make the stuff I damn sure would. Alas, it is now summer, so it's on to lighter fare.

Now I'm into this mead I've been drinking. I feel goddamn violent and archaic! Like a Namibian warrior with a cask of honey wine, screaming like a madman and ready for war.

Or I could just be hungry.

Yeah, I think that's it. I made spaghetti
"I feel sorry for people who don’t drink or do drugs. Because someday they’re going to be in a hospital bed, dying, and they won’t know why." - Redd Foxx

Badfellow
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by Badfellow » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:18 pm

1) Why use liquid/malt syrup extract when you can go all grain?

2) On heavier gravity recipes such as barleywine, you will want to oxygenate the wort before fermentation. This gives the yeast a leg up in the fuckton of work they are about to perform on your behalf.

3) Force carbonation? Personally, as a guy who holds a master brewers diploma and a BS in fermentation sciences, I piss on that. A beer that is krausened and/or bottle conditioned takes a bit longer and a bit more work but is eminently worth the results.

Anyone with a pulse, a kitchen and $150 worth of basic equipment can brew their own beer for pennies per pint. I'm always happy to help others in pursuit of such a noble endeavour.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Patchez
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Patchez » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:05 am

Badfellow wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:18 pm

2) On heavier gravity recipes such as barleywine, you will want to oxygenate the wort before fermentation. This gives the yeast a leg up in the fuckton of work they are about to perform on your behalf.

3) Force carbonation? Personally, as a guy who holds a master brewers diploma and a BS in fermentation sciences, I piss on that. A beer that is krausened and/or bottle conditioned takes a bit longer and a bit more work but is eminently worth the results.

Anyone with a pulse, a kitchen and $150 worth of basic equipment can brew their own beer for pennies per pint. I'm always happy to help others in pursuit of such a noble endeavour.
The use of liquid or Dry malt extract for me cam out of a lack of equipment when I started. I only had a 3 gallon kettle so I steeped a partial mash to boost flavor then added the malt for the sugar. Now that I have the larger rig I do mostly all grain. I'll still do a partial if I don't have time for a full brew day.

Force carbonation is great for kegging. Conditioning a Corney keg is too time consuming.

Patchez
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Patchez » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:06 am

Patchez wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:05 am
Badfellow wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:18 pm

The use of liquid or Dry malt extract for me cam out of a lack of equipment when I started. I only had a 3 gallon kettle so I steeped a partial mash to boost flavor then added the malt for the sugar. Now that I have the larger rig I do mostly all grain. I'll still do a partial if I don't have time for a full brew day.

Force carbonation is great for kegging. Conditioning a Corney keg is too time consuming.
Also this article was out of a homebrewer magazine. Not aimed at guys with a BS in brewing. More aimed at me Harry Homebrewer. Unschooled and uncivilized.

Badfellow
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by Badfellow » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:22 am

I ain't knocking the article. Just saying that homebrewers are capable of making world class beer. Even ax wielding barbarian types such as yourself.

Patchez wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:05 am
Whaaaaaaaat? Just add a little fresh wort (or even priming sugar) and it's ready in two weeks, and you don't need a CO2 tank or a regulator to do it.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ