Another Solo Mission - Drinking alone? Post here!

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by Patchez »

Good read Hugh. I liked yours. The others not so much. The second poem was too stilted. No flow. The Story was too long. The last poem was a knock off of the Old Man and the Sea. Yours stood out. Great job.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

mistah willies wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:29 pm
^ ^ ^
"...There’s a certain
romance to a stryofoam cup
tumbling down the sidewalk – driven by a late summer breeze"

Can almost hear it, and feel the sun
I agree that this is a very nice moment in the poem. Glad to finally read some of your stuff, Hugh.
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Whew! My first drink in a week, first drink since the police served and protected me by throwing my drunk ass in jail. This is where I belong - alone in a room with a box of wine and a blank page.

The scab I earned on my forehead when I faceplanted on the concrete last week has fallen off. It looks like I'll get a nice little scar. I also have a bump on my nose, I assume from the same fall, or perhaps from banging it on the back of the cop's car seat. I couldn't figure out the two bruises on my upper left arm until I noticed they correspond perfectly to a thumb and fingers - meaning I must have been yanked from the floor of the drunk tank before being taken to jail.

How long should I stay out of the bars? The longest I've gone is 9 weeks. (I keep a diary of such things.) I caused a little problem last week, I might even be 86'd. I'd like to go back and explain myself, but maybe it's better if I stay away a while first. I'm becoming a bad drunk as I age. This shit never happened to me in my younger years.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Aw fuck! The Franzia Sunset Blush went back to their light bodied sour shit taste. At least I got one box of good stuff. Maybe I should just pay the extra dollar and get the Vella Delicious Red every week. But that shit stains my teeth! what to do, what to do?

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

The very last of that Franzia was so cloudy it was opaque. Did I get a bad batch or something? I always take the plastic bag out of the box and cut the corner of the bag in order to get the very last drop. Something must have settled down there.

Tonight will be a Hamm's night. There's nine cans in my fridge. For tonight's dinner it will be a Slim Jim, mild.

Do you guys think that drinking ruins your teeth? This article says it does: https://drugabuse.com/tooth-and-consequ ... our-smile/

My mother was a heavy drinker who lost her teeth, but I don't think it was the booze that did it. She almost never drank water and she didn't brush her teeth in the morning when I was a little kid. I would see her with a glass of Alka Seltzer in the mornings, but she went straight for it when she woke up without brushing her teeth. When she was older, all of her teeth were gone. Same with a neighbor I lived next to for 20 years. He drank regularly, but didn't brush his teeth or drink water. All of his teeth (except for a couple of tough hangers-on) fell out, too.

I take a bottle of water to bed with me and drink it as I keep waking up from thirst. And I always brush in the morning. So far the only teeth I've lost are two molars that were filled when I was a teen.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Once somebody goes into rehab, are you done with them? What about if they resume drinking?

John Cheever was a drunk for a good portion of his life, but he did one final stint in rehab and never drank again. According to Wikipedia: "Cheever's drinking soon became suicidal and, in March 1975, his brother Fred, now virtually indigent, but undrunk after his own lifelong bout with alcoholism, drove John back to Ossining. On April 9, Cheever was admitted to the Smithers Alcoholic Rehabilitation Unit in New York, where he shared a bedroom and bath with four other men. Driven home by his wife on May 7, Cheever never drank alcohol again."

Bukowski called people like that "fake drunks." I'm not sure what he meant by that, but I think it means he didn't like people calling themselves alcoholics, or drunks, if they in fact did not drink. Of all the famous people who are known as drunks, Bukowski's philosophies on drinking most closely match mine. Drinking alone with a blank page is absolute bliss. I don't understand why the whole world doesn't do it. But everybody has enough self awareness to know if they are drinking too much and it starts having a negative impact on you. It's different for everybody. Some people love drinking so much they won't even bother with keeping a job or a home, they just live on the streets and beg for money to drink. That's perfectly fine. I keep myself just employed enough to pay the bills on this cheap apartment and foresake everything that goes with a career so that I have enough time to get drunk. It's different for everybody, but I don't get rehab. I would never do that. If I fuck something up because I've been drinking too much, I just back off a bit and get back on course. I don't know anybody who went to rehab and became a teetotaler. But I wonder if I could be a friend to such a person?

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Such many questions Hugh.
Ok lets get started,

Once I walked into one of my favorite bars that I hadn`t visited in a while, the owner mistook me for another person (like really, some other poor fucker looks like me lol) and didn`t want to serve me. But some explaining worked. So yeah go back there, you`ll be fine.

No, my teeth are perfectly fine. They are tained from coffee and smoking heavily though. It`s sugar really that kills em. Bad genetics also. And of course you need to brush them, I mean eww

I imagine rehab to be boring as hell and life without drink to be atrocious. All the excitement that build ups before your next tour to old bacchuse`s house gone? Can`t even think about it.
Quitters I don`t care for, most of them I unfriended though because they where no more fun to hang out with. Plain and simple.
My best buddy though quit for mental reasons, he was in the madhouse for a year (good lord I don`t miss those weekly visits...), and I still enjoy his companie. The biggest adjustment for him was being around shitfaced friends that blabber the same bullshit stories every weekend due to blackouts, but he remembers ya know. That was kinda boring to him, but he got used to it
Drink!

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

How can you go visit him in the nadhouse? He must have been a good friend

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

It's 4 in the morning and I have to work today but I'm fucked up. I took 2 codeine but it didn't knock me out so i kept on drinking. I have to go to bed i have to force myself

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

i got more surgery on my face the pockmarks are reduced. i look better than before i should go to bars more now

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

oettinger how is it different in germany than usa. explain it

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

oetinger do you go t east berlin? is it backward there? do they still want Soviet Union there?

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Are there posters of Kruschev in east berlin in the bars? Do they want the USSR back

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

i would like to go to east berlin and bulgaria and eastern europe of the old ussr and see how they drink there

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

i bet the people in the dive bars in east berlin want the ussr back. am i right? i bet some of them do but some wont say it