Whiskey

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Wingman57
Tippler
Tippler

Whiskey

Post by Wingman57 »

I just tried some Bulleit 95 Rye. Tastes pretty good. What are the best Rye Whiskeys?

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: Whiskey

Post by Patchez »

Templeton is a pretty solid rye. Old Overholt is fantastic value rye. Hands down personal favorite Wasmund's Raw Rye. A fantastic unaged 125 proof white dog rye from Copper Fox Distillery in VA.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Patchez wrote:Templeton is a pretty solid rye. Old Overholt is fantastic value rye...
This is truth.

Rittenhouse Rye is another good value for your whiskey soaked dollar. Sazerac Rye is your higher grade shaboozlings. Straight Kentucky is the all rage these days, but I'd keep a close eye too on some of the finer Canadian blends that come from the prairie provinces.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

That reminds me... Pike Creek. Aged in port barrels as well as the traditional charred oak. Being a Canadian and with the peppery notes I found i'll assume it has enough rye in the mash bill to be a rye. *0 proof is a tad tame proof wise but over all pretty fucking tastey.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

I`ve never had a rhy whiskey. Just had german brand vodka. What are the best german brand vodkas wingman57?
Drink!

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Bluto »

I find Templeton overpriced. What you're buying today doesn't have the provenance to go with the advertising. It's good eye, mind you, but not worth the scratch it commands.
I honestly like the Wild Turkey Rye. You'll find it in green labeled bottles.

Cheers,

-Bluto
Going to happy hour and not drinking is like going to an orgy and masturbating. You just took a great idea and turned it into a circle jerk. -Sixpack595

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Do you realize how many nights i have spent looking into the eyes of this old fucker. Old Overholt*. We love each other. We hate each other. We have laughed at each other and fought each other. Sometimes I win, sometimes he does. We have been there for each others heartbreaks and triumphs. He's old, but ain't none of us getting younger. He's Overholt but I am still proud to call him my friend.

* Also available on Discworld labeled as " Old Overcoat"
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Bluto »

Thirsty,

He's my go to guy for rye. When I moved to town I could buy a liter for about $13. Price has gone up in the last year, but still a bargain compared to almost all others.
Going to happy hour and not drinking is like going to an orgy and masturbating. You just took a great idea and turned it into a circle jerk. -Sixpack595

SKguy
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by SKguy »

Crown Royal is really good... but my favourite is Gibson's Finest. Canadian Club is nice too. Alberta Springs is fantastic too.

As for the cheaper ones, Alberta Premium is very good for a cheap rye... I like Special Old too. Wiser's isn't bad, it's like a cheap version of Crown. it's like comparing President's Choice cola to Pepsi. I'm not a big fan of Royal Reserve, but that's probably because at one point, I drank so much of it because I wanted to cover my pool cue case with the stickers that comes with bottles of Royal Reserve.

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

And here I was just thinking, "Where my canadians at?"
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Found a new whiskey

Post by Hugh »

New to me, anyway. Ten High whiskey. It says on the label fine print that it is bourbon, but apparently that has been in dispute before. No matter - I want cheap, and that's what it is. The generic 1.75 bottle of whiskey is $12, Ten High is $13. For more comparison, Kessler is $14.

I'll try to post a pic here to show what I'm talking about regarding the word bourbon on the label:

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Re: Found a new whiskey

Post by Hugh »

Ah, it worked. See how SOUR MASH is in bold, and then down below in finer print it says bourbon.

Anyway, I don't usually drink during the week, but I got done with work early tonight. It tastes all right, I guess. I don't drink whiskey for the taste, just to get drunk.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Drunken Jack Flask smiles down on you from Drunkard Heaven. He used to espouse the virtues and wonders of Ten High.

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

Ah, some cheap rotgut. You're speaking my language. Keep your eye out for Kentucky Deluxe -- my staple drink, and also very cheap rotgut, but not that harsh on the palate or the morning after.

I tried this Ten High stuff once. I don't remember anything about it, though-- just that it gave me a splitting headache of a hangover. One of those times where you almost wish you didn't get so drunk, if that wasn't nonsense. No regrets!
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Re: Fizzy Whiskey!

Post by Mr. Viking »

"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best