Another Solo Mission - Drinking alone? Post here!

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies

Hugh
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by Hugh »

It's my new Thursday night tradition. Hamm's on an empty stomach! It's the end of my workweek, my mood is good, and I'm craving solitude and booze. The buzz that comes from drinking on an empty stomach is more vivid that the usual buzz, and it's enhanced by my end-of-workweek good spirits. Tonight I didn't even bother with a shower before I started gulping.

I had three poems post today at Terror House Magazine, have a look: https://terrorhousemag.com/neighborhood/

It's a pretty good online zine, and I'm overjoyed that they accepted all three of my poems. I'm in there with some good writers. The chief editor lives in Hungary, but he prints mostly English pieces, and apparently, mostly American. He has been under attack before from the goddamb social justice warriors, calling him a bigot, racist, misogynist, on and on. He swats them away and keeps going on. I love how he sets it up, he obviously loves what he does. If you go to that link I posted, scroll to the bottom of the page and share it on social media like Facebook, Twitter, or whatever you are signed up for. I shared it on my Facebook, but I'm not on any of the other social media sites. I'd like to see this guy succeed. Also, since he lives in Hungary, I'm concerned that these social justice warriors could make trouble for him since Hungary doesn't have the same free speech laws that USA has. They probably couldn't hurt him that bad, but they truly are despicable people.

Hamm's. Solitude. My poems getting accepted. Live gets no better than this. Drink!

Hugh
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Hugh »

One thing I've learned with my new tradition of Thursday night beer on an empty stomach is that drinking beer on an empty stomach gives me diarrhea the next day. Well, too bad. I like beer on an empty stomach too much to stop.

Anticipating drinking on the last day of the work week makes me work faster, so that I get done sooner and get to my booze. Part of the fun is stopping at the liquor store and saying, "No, sorry" to the bums loitering outside when they ask if I have any spare change. We're all just a bunch of people trying to get drunk.

Here's another thing about solo drinking - I put on headphones and watch YouTube music videos after I get drunk and lose self control. I hate music videos, I regard them as a trivial waste of time. but once I'm drunk, I can't resist them, and after much contemplation, I've figured out why. It's a substitute for socializing. With music videos I can fantasize about playing the juke box at the bar, or singing karaoke, or dancing with bar patrons. but I don't have to be around all those people to do it. and I don't have to spend all that money at the bar, either. But every morning after I've spent a drunken night watching stupid music videos, I feel almost as guilty as if I'd actually gone out to the bar and spent $200 acting like a goddamb singing and dancing fool. Why can't I just relax and give myself permission to enjoy stupid music videos? Sometimes I sing along with the music and I wonder if my neighbors can hear me. If so, they haven't complained. Maybe I'm a good singer.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Most music videos are garbage. I never sing along, but I listen to heavy metal so that`s a plus
Drinking heavily is a basic instinct

scream ale
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by scream ale »

Judas Priest videos are fun times.

Hugh
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Hugh »

It might seem odd for a 53 year old man (me) to be reading the diary of a 17 year old girl. But the girl is Susan Sontag. It is astonishing how intelligent and ambitious she was a such a young age. You would never guess that it was being written by a 17 year old girl if you didn't know it beforehand. It's embarrassing as hell for me to read it. She realized her greatest ambitions because she knew what she wanted and she went after it claw and fang. Not just embarrassing, motivating, too. That 17 year old liberal school girl made me get over to my laptop and write like a motherfucker today. Today was the most productive day I've had in a long time. If that little girl could do it, then by god so can I.

This is yet another lesson on the importance of keeping diaries. Goddamb, if there's one thing I could give to the rest of the world, it's that. Keep a fucking diary. It almost forces you to get better.

Now it's time to pour the wine.

There's one thing I've gotten right in my 53 year long miserable life so far. And that's solitude. Thorogood's I Drink Alone is my anthem.

What's in your glass?

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Hugh wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:58 pm

There's one thing I've gotten right in my 53 year long miserable life so far.

Two!
You found us, a tad late but still. That upgrades your life to just meaningless in my book
Drinking heavily is a basic instinct

scream ale

Post by scream ale »

Hugh wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:58 pm
What's in your glass?
Beer

Bur

Post by Bur »

Had shit to do (and other people's shit to sort) pretty much overnight. Got like 2 hours of sleep before work. Gonna crack me some of the hard stuff in about 2 hours.

Also my guilty pleasure when it comes to reading is John Green.

Stendhal
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by Stendhal »

A light one today. Six pack of cheap beer and a quarter fifth of Hendricks. Unplanned, but went with it, summer is the season of Dionysus.

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Stendhal wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:30 am
A light one today. Six pack of cheap beer and a quarter fifth of Hendricks. Unplanned, but went with it, summer is the season of Dionysus.
Cheers to that. Expensive gin and cheap brewskie.

Well met, Stendhal. Why not pop in and introduce yourself here?

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=68754&start=810

This will mean a free drink to the others in the pub. Rules and all.

Like: Post Drunk. Post often. Post Drunk often.

Welcome aboard.

Stendhal
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by Stendhal »

Gin and club soda is summer in a glass!

Stendhal
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by Stendhal »

I did, just a second ago. Just got home from the bar, was drinking a combo of scotch and soda, and gin and club soda. Utterly smashed, but doing my part, drinking a six pack I had prepared so for when I got home. Hard liquor and club soda are keto friendly, thank God.

Hugh
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Hugh »

Bur wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:42 am
Had shit to do (and other people's shit to sort) pretty much overnight. Got like 2 hours of sleep before work. Gonna crack me some of the hard stuff in about 2 hours.

Also my guilty pleasure when it comes to reading is John Green.
He posted a YouTube video where he gives a lesson on Emily Dickinson. I'm too drunk to find it right now, but if you can find it, it is John Green at his teaching best.

Hugh
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Hugh »

Saturday is supposed to be my poetry submission day, but the places I found today were all SHIT. I can't believe people read these things, but obviously they do. Anyway, I already have three submissions out that I'm waiting for answers on, so I can be excused from submitting today.

It's after 8 PM and I'm already drunk. The apartment is nice and clean, the neighbors are quiet, the blank pages have been filled. The only thing I have to do now is enjoy inebriation.

Hugh
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Hugh »

I scarcely have any memory of last night's Skype chat, but I think oettinger asked me if my tits were fake.