How much booze do you keep on hand?

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: How much booze do you keep on hand?

Post by scream ale »

oettinger wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:42 pm
Rye and Coke wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:09 pm

I can go in there, sit down on my bar stool, at the table, pull out a glass and just drink, read and write in silence.
Nice. I want a room that is a keg and me and a casette player
Whoa! I've always wanted a room for myself with a keg and a cassette player too.

buzzsaw
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by buzzsaw »

Depending on my goals, i always at least keep 3 cases (30 pk) of brew.

I usually drink the liquor and wine on the fly... But would love to passionately start making love to it one of these days instead of the one night stands

BingoHead
Tippler
Tippler

Post by BingoHead »

My wife has a huge bar with at least one bottle of nearly everything, much of which she uses for recipes, otherwise just for the sake of having a real bar—cognacs and madeiras and pastises and ports and sherries and several homemade vodka mixes. I have the normal stuff for the occasional cocktails—gins and rums and tequilas and triple secs and whatever.

But that’s all for the obsessive need to have a real bar. I grew up the son of a Baptist missionary, and booze is my only honest rebellion.

For drinking I always have on hand, for my own needs:

Two or more bottles of Four Roses
Two bottles of Woodford Reserve
Two bottles of Wild Turkey 101
One bottle of Old Overholt rye
One bottle of Dickel’s Rye
One case of Störtebeker Baltik Lager

My wife always has plenty of wine, both red and white.

At my office at work I always have a generic supermarket whiskey in my bookcase behind the Oxford Shorter English Dictionary along side a bottle of Jaegermeister or Schierker Feuerstein (for my stomach). The whiskey is usually Stetson—something sold by the supermarket nearest to where I work.

My basic system is this: on my desk at home I keep an old Old Overholt bottle filled with dregs. Anytime one of the two bottles of something is nearly finished I buy a third, then dump the rest of the nearly empty on into the bottle on my desk. The bottle on my desk is my daily drink, and is about 90% Four Roses. Special occasions (like weekends) require purer drink, so I go to the better stuff.

Why?

Well, I cheat. I keep a plastic Evan Williams pint bottle in my backpack and fill it up at the office and secretly dump it into the bottle on my desk, or I occasionally just dump a bottle of Four Roses into it. So while my wife sees me having my second or third whiskey before dinner, she doesn’t see the third or fourth I had at work or my desk or on the train or after she is asleep.

My wife knows full well I’m a drinker; but being a full-blown drunkard is something I only confess here. I’ll say it loud and say it proud, but not at work and not to my wife. A man ought to be allowed a few private pleasures.
"Frühstuck!"
--the guy at the train station shop where I regularly buy my morning Jaegermeister.

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Artful Drunktective »

BingoHead wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:29 am

At my office at work I always have a generic supermarket whiskey in my bookcase behind the Oxford Shorter English Dictionary along side a bottle of Jaegermeister or Schierker Feuerstein (for my stomach). The whiskey is usually Stetson—something sold by the supermarket nearest to where I work.

My basic system is this: on my desk at home I keep an old Old Overholt bottle filled with dregs. Anytime one of the two bottles of something is nearly finished I buy a third, then dump the rest of the nearly empty on into the bottle on my desk..

being a full-blown drunkard is something I only confess here. I’ll say it loud and say it proud, but not at work and not to my wife. A man ought to be allowed a few private pleasures.
Behind the Oxford dictionary! Nice! Ain't nobody going to be scoping that out.

I told the true story here on the board of a friend of mine who was coined by Mr. Badfellow "Malibu Laurie" for her fondness of drinking Malibu rum straight from the bottle. Yeah I know...ewww.

But she also drinks vodka, normal rum, and wine. When she would drink at work, she would drink something clear and to be discreet, put it in a Gatorade bottle, and add food coloring to it. She also didn't want her husband to know the quantity in which she consumed so she would also bring all her empties to my house for disposal. Funny the measures us drunkards will sometimes go to maintain these private pleasures.
Okole maluna!

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

BingoHead wrote:

Two or more bottles of Four Roses
This is rarely mentioned on the board but I love it
BingoHead wrote:

One case of Störtebeker Baltik Lager

Very good stuff as well
Drink!

BingoHead
Tippler
Tippler

Post by BingoHead »

Artful Drunktective wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:25 am
When she would drink at work, she would drink something clear and to be discreet...[/color]
Well, other than my morning Jaegermeister, I don't really drink between classes, and I don't share my office with anyone so I don't have to hide it in Gatorade bottles. But after my last class I usually have a shot or two of whiskey before heading for the train station.

Back on Topic:

The coolest think about Germany is that you can order booze from Amazon. So after posting in this thread I got the urge to have something a bit better in my office and ordered a litre of 101 and a litre of Evan Williams. I'll still have a bottle of Stetson in there for old times sake. Still, I'm taking a bit of a risk having booze sent directly to the office. What if the box gets accidentally torn open in the mail room? While I was at it, I ordered a few more bottles to be sent home. I'm gonna try some Four Roses Single Barrel--which I actually tried once, but on my birthday, when I was too loaded to notice whether Jesus' wine was any better than the stuff I'd been drinking all evening.
"Frühstuck!"
--the guy at the train station shop where I regularly buy my morning Jaegermeister.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

BingoHead wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:49 am
[What if the box gets accidentally torn open in the mail room?
Fuck it

The box with your newly used NIKE socks is leaking a suspicious liquid.
To say the least, it made the guards at customs a little nervous
Drink!

BingoHead
Tippler
Tippler

Post by BingoHead »

So I got the Turkey and Evan Williams without problems, but decided I need more for my office bar. The EW came in a suspiciously bottle-sized box, so I decided to order two bottles of Bulleit, because two bottles will come in a more box-shaped box, and, well, I can always keep a second bottle on had, can't I?

BTW: I ordered from Amazon Germany, so there isn't any customs. At some point I'll post about this in another thread, but I have found bourbon selection to be rather slim in most places I've been here. Someone once told me that the areas the English occupied after the war tend to have scotches rather than bourbons, so it kinda depends on where you are. Still, since you can buy booze via mail order in Germany I get all my exotic stuff through the mail unless I happen to be in the downtown area of a big city. Then I get dizzy and end up blowing a few hundred dollars on booze that I don't really deserve. Actually, I do deserve it.

So now that I've upgraded my office bar, the question "how much booze do you keep on hand" is more than quantity, but about 24-hour availability. Home, work, and the ever-present pint in my backpack--I've got decent-to-great-quality bourbon everywhere I go.

But if I want mixed drinks, I gotta be home with my wife and kids. Which ain't a bad thing. I just have to be openly moderate and privately sneaky.
"Frühstuck!"

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

Just enough to stay fabulously drunk on, and not much more. I skim the waters, but it works because I know thy drunken self.
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

RIPT2.0
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by RIPT2.0 »

I bought a case of 1.75 L bottles of Smirnoff vodka this weekend. They came with a rebate coupon good for $60 if I bought 6 and, as it just so happens, there are 6 to a case. Each bottle was $19.99, so that means I get 50% off by sending in the coupon. That's what I call responsible drinking.

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

Post by Rye and Coke »

Yeah, I want to be BingoHead when I grow up
"They told me to see the glass half full cause some see it as half empty
I chose to see the glass twice the size it needed to be" - Pharoahe Monch, 'Broken Again'

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Friday a friend of my dad`s told me some story about a neighbour he had that loved drinking beer. He`d buy 13 pints with his last cash and empty them all into glass-containers of any kind, put em in the not working fridge, only to be able to buy one more beer from the empties refund. That`s dedication
Drink!

Stendhal
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Stendhal »

Normally, at the very least a fifth of brandy during the fall and winter, and a bottle of gin during summer and spring. Periodically have cheap champagne or a six pack of beer during spring and summer in addition to any liquor I have on hand. Usually have a fifth of Evan Williams Black Label as well at all times during the year, better than Jim or Jack, and yet at least ten dollars cheaper per fifth.
Everything in moderation, including moderation

LANDON
Tippler
Tippler

Post by LANDON »

Decent, need to accomplish something like this with mine.

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Artful Drunktective »

Stendhal wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:56 am
Periodically have cheap champagne
Cheap champagne rocks. The thing about cheap champagne in my opinion is that it's actually tastier than the more expensive brands. On drunkard party weekends when the weather was cold and I wanted to stock up to avoid braving the weather, I'd grab as an an accouterment to my regular beverages, several bottles of André Spumante which I believe was around $2.75 a bottle. That and a store bought rotisserie chicken and I was set. Good times *sigh*. .
Okole maluna!