Another Solo Mission - Drinking alone? Post here!

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by Patchez »

oettinger wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:20 am
Hugh wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:25 pm

Patchez - what would be a good beer to drink with Knob Creek? It seems wrong to drink Hamm's with it, but maybe I'm mistaken about that. Should I get some premium expensive beer to drink with it?
Do you have dark beers in the US that are not stouts? Like this
The German makes a good point. Dunkels would be a good choice to go with. Stouts would likely be a bit bold for the bourbon. A nice black lager (basically a Dunkel)would be my choice. A good balance of malty and roasty with a bit of hop bite. Dixie Brewing has Blackened Voodoo lager that is just banging.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

YES. Please only buy specialty beers so you fucking hipsters don't drive up the price of Hamm's and ruin it like you did Pabst.
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

ThirstyDrunk wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:47 pm
YES. Please only buy specialty beers so you fucking hipsters don't drive up the price of Hamm's and ruin it like you did Pabst.
I swear that's what happened with cream ale. It's still the same price but instead of 30 beers you get 24. At least they left the regular Genny alone.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Two of the bars in my neighborhood recently started serving cans of Hamm's. It's only a matter of time before the hipsters catch on and turn it into the next PBR.

Speaking of Hamm's, I just finished my second can and will be pouring Kessler for the rest of the night. It is the start of a three-day bender for me. I get a paid day off from work Sunday and have decided to hole up in my apartment and drink myself into a stupor for three consecutive days. I prepared for it by cleaning my apartment, stocking up on food and booze, and washing laundry (including the sheets). I have absolutely no responsibilities for the next three days except to drink as much as I want. There are two sirloin steaks in the refrigerator waiting to be fried in butter. They are past their expiration date, but so what? That's how I got them at a discounted price.

Thanks for the tips on beers to drink with premium whiskey, Patchez and Oet. The next time something comes up that is worthy of celebration, I'm headed to the liquor store for it.

We had a frost warning here in So Cal. People are advised to protect their plants and animals. I always take that to mean it is perfect weather for whiskey neat. Is there anything better than whiskey neat on a cold night?

Got the rejection notice from a publisher on my full length book of poetry this afternoon. Fuck them. It just means that I have 60 more poems that I can submit individually now. My favorite poem keeps getting rejected. It's well past time that I realized it needs to be rewritten. A trusted friend of mine seemed to like it, even if he wasn't too enthusiastic about it. But I've got to admit that it just isn't up to par no matter how much I like it and try to ferret out what's wrong with it on my own.

And the last gulp of Hamm's goes down to all the solo drinkers out there, sitting alone in a room with booze as their only companion. It's whiskey time, people.

RIPT2.0
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by RIPT2.0 »

I used to like premium whiskey on occasion. Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve is my favorite all time bourbon. I used to be able to special order it for $90/bottle but now you can not buy, although I've found bottles online for over $3K. WTF? I could have been a millionaire buying that shit by the case 15 years ago.

I think the fucking Chinese and Russian bot people are buying stuff us real mericans like just to drive the price up and make the shit scarce. Fuck them.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Sammy wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:19 pm
I used to like premium whiskey on occasion. Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve is my favorite all time bourbon. I used to be able to special order it for $90/bottle but now you can not buy, although I've found bottles online for over $3K. WTF? I could have been a millionaire buying that shit by the case 15 years ago.

I think the fucking Chinese and Russian bot people are buying stuff us real mericans like just to drive the price up and make the shit scarce. Fuck them.
Yep, or something like it. Patchez started a thread on here somewhere about collectors driving up the price of whiskey. Hard liquors are not my primary drink, so I don't pay much attention to it. But I have noticed that Blanton's is not in any of my bars anymore. (The reason I notice it is because my last name is Blanton.) What happened? I think Patchez and you are right. Somebody(s) is fucking around with bourbon and deliberately driving prices up. Whiskey should be drunk, not collected.

RIPT2.0
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by RIPT2.0 »

The best and worst of me
It's not always apparent
But if you're close to me
Well, I don't know what the fuck to say
Because I'm not a fucking poet

So get over it
Squander your fucking opinion on somebody else
I don't give a fuck
Notice this shit doesn't rhyme
I don't give a fuck

The end

RIPT2.0
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by RIPT2.0 »

That wasn't directed at you Hugh. I was trying to free form my inner poet. Love your posts

RIPT2.0
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by RIPT2.0 »

There was a local liquor store advertising hard to find whiskey on sale today like Blanton's. Alas, I was too lazy to drive there. No, too cheap. I'm helping my Dad buy a new lazy boy recliner on Tuesday. That means I will need to buy one for myself too. All the bells and whistles. Those babies aren't cheap.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Sammy wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:32 pm
That wasn't directed at you Hugh. I was trying to free form my inner poet. Love your posts
Even if it was directed at me - it's fine. I ain't sensitive and I don't get insulted.

But your poem kind of sucked. Not supersuckterrible, but you aren't going to win a Pushcart with that one.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Sammy wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:36 pm
There was a local liquor store advertising hard to find whiskey on sale today like Blanton's. Alas, I was too lazy to drive there. No, too cheap. I'm helping my Dad buy a new lazy boy recliner on Tuesday. That means I will need to buy one for myself too. All the bells and whistles. Those babies aren't cheap.
I've never owned a La Z Boy, but as far as I know, it was simply a lever that you pulled and back it went and out came the footrest. Is there more to it?

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Actually, now that I've read it a second time, maybe it doesn't suck all that bad.

RIPT2.0
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by RIPT2.0 »

Hugh wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:42 pm
Sammy wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:36 pm
I've never owned a La Z Boy, but as far as I know, it was simply a lever that you pulled and back it went and out came the footrest. Is there more to it?
Those are the basic ones. My Dad falls down all the time, even when he's trying to get in or out of his lazy boy. Oh, but they have a cure for that. It's called a lift chair. It lifts you in and out so you don't fall down. My Dad doesn't think he needs one but he does. I shall make sure gets a premium lift chair with lumbar support, massage. etc. The whole fucking deal. I'll even spend the $2K it will cost to get him a top of the line model if he's too cheap to spend his own money. After all, what good is money if you don't spend it.

And don't worry about not liking my poem. I know I am a shitty poet.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Now that you mention it - I do remember those chairs. They slowly rise up so you can stand up.

Just a muse - but maybe you could get Medicare to pay for that, or his own private insurance.

RIPT2.0
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by RIPT2.0 »

No, Medicare will not pay for that. But I am getting one for myself too. I'll even buy his for him if he resists. He keeps telling me we aren't close like a Father and son should be. I don't know where he gets that. But he drinks a lot and his memory isn't that great. Spent all day Wednesday in the ER with Mom because we though he had a heart attack but he's fine. He's really an 85 year old drama queen but I love him. I'll buy him the damn chair. This chair. He's spent way more on me over the years.

https://www.la-z-boy.com/p/lift-chairs/ ... _/R-1PH519