Another Solo Mission - Drinking alone? Post here!

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by Hugh »

Yep, that's the chair that I remember seeing. That chair, or something like it, should be covered by Medicare for people over a certain age. I don't know how all this stuff works, but if a doctor says you need a chair like this to get up and walk, then it should be covered.

RIPT2.0
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by RIPT2.0 »

Thanks for the tip Hugh. I will check that out. Maybe you just saved me $2K.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

BAHAHAHAHA! No shit - I just went over to Facebook and there is an ad at the top of my feed - for La Z Boy! Goddamb these fucking internet spies all to hell!

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

So somebody explain the deal to me. I drink the 120 proof and i get a pleasant buzz. But with this rotgut 80 proof i'm all fucked up. Tell me how all this shit works because i don't have a clue

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

yall motherfuckers have the board the internet you know how all this shit works, tell me what's going on around here

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Hugh wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:40 am
yall motherfuckers have the board the internet you know how all this shit works, tell me what's going on around here

Cookies.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Day two of my three day bender. Maybe this doesn't qualify as a bender. Maybe it's just a tilt. I didn't start drinking until this evening. During benders, drinking usually starts in the early afternoon, if not morning.

That reject I got yesterday still stings today. Getting a full length book rejected by some goddamb college/university press doesn't really bother me all that much, but this was a private for-profit press. I figured they would enthusiastically publish me because they are in business to make money. When a university press rejects me, I just blame cronyism. But these guys are in it to make money and they don't think I'm worth a shit, either. Fuck.

The steak I fried this afternoon tasted like shit. How does everybody else make such good steaks? I thought the secret must be to fry it in butter, but this was actually worse than the ones I fry in vegetable oil.

Anybody done their annual open enrollment yet? My premium is staying the same this year. I have BCBS Healthy Advantage provided through Pepsico. There are people on Facebook who claim to be government employees (one said Baltimore fire and police) and they say their premiums went down this year.

Everything's a mystery to me. I understand very little. Steaks and insurance befuddle me.

The neighbors are quiet tonight. Last year the guys across the street blasted a huge stereo on Halloween weekend. They let me off the hook this year.

It's a Vella Delicious Red night tonight. Wine is my drink of choice. I won't need whiskey for a while after last night.

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Artful Drunktective »

Oh Hugh every time I see you posting another solo mission I cringe before I read in hopes that you didn't wake up in some random gutter or inside a Dumpster LOL. At least this time you only had a shitty steak. As far as that goes... yeah stick with peanut or canola oil like stir-fry style. That always turns out good. Like fajitas! I don't think it's possible to have bad fajitas...
Okole maluna!

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Peanut or canola oil. Will try to remember that. When I eat the steak at a French restaurant in my neighborhood, I can never believe how good it is. It's hard to believe anybody could take a slab of meat and make it that good. It tastes to me like he fries it in butter and salt. So what happens when I try it at home? Shit. That's what. Absolute shit.

Day three of my bender. Feeling good! In some of Bukowski's letters he writes that he is feeling deeply depressed after a three or four day bender. I can remember a couple of specific letters where he even thought of suicide as he laid in bed, depressed after drinking nonstop for three days. But when you look at Bukowski's drinking habits, you can see why. He drank habitually with no regard for his responsibilities, no regard for his job, no regard for his own hygiene or living cleanliness. (More than once he cut the bottoms of his feet on broken glass in his carpet.) Before I started this bender, I planned on it, knowing I had a paid day off from work. I cleaned my apartment, stocked up on food and booze, did the laundry and sheets. So then all I had to do was relax and enjoy it. Friday night I slept for seven straight hours, something I almost never do. Bukowski could have enjoyed those benders, too, if he had just delayed his gratification just a tiny bit. And BTW, that's a purpose of reading diaries and letters of people from the past. I get to learn life lessons from people who came before me, and I get to learn them the easy way (for the most part).

Bars can be nice, sometimes. But right here, in this little apartment with a half-worn out laptop and a box of wine, is where I belong. Nothing bad happens to me here. Once in a while something good happens. Conventional wisdom says that drinking alone is not healthy, a sign of sickness, a sign of addiction. This is another instance of conventional wisdom being wrong.

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

Hugh wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:42 pm
Conventional wisdom says that drinking alone is not healthy, a sign of sickness, a sign of addiction. This is another instance of conventional wisdom being wrong.
Agree with ya on this one, Hugh. I drink by myself every day of the week.

On my console, I'm in control.
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Two days - two boxes of wine. The fucking box says it has 34 glasses of wine in it. What a bunch of lying motherfuckers. I ain't drunk no 68 glasses of wine in two days. Hell, not even two days yet. Maybe they mean 34 shot glasses. "Excuse me sir, may I have a shot of wine?"

Finally sent out some poetry submissions today. I've been waiting for a thumbs up or a thumbs down from a place on a full-length book of poetry for several months now. They gave me the thumbs down, so now I'm free to submit my crap to other places. I don't do simultaneous submissions. Or, try not to. One time I realized I had sent the same fucking chapbook to two different places. I almost panicked. But then I thought, "Pfft. They'll probably both reject me anyway." That's exactly what they did.

There's two new poems in my printer tray right now. When I get up tomorrow, I'm going to remember them. I hate getting up in the morning and not remembering writing any of the shit in my printer tray.

Where the fook are you guys? No posts on here tonight. Are you all posting a bunch of shit about Trump on Facebook?

I gotta go tear open another box of wine. There ain't no 34 glasses in these things. No fucking way.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Nausea wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:03 pm

On my console, I'm in control.
"In my car, I am the driver." - Shania Twain.

ThirstyBirdy
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by ThirstyBirdy »

Hugh, do u know what solo even means dummy?
Something's got to be done. We can't go on like this.
I must have some booze. I demand to have some booze!- Withnail

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

ThirstyBirdy wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:19 pm
Hugh, do u know that the earth is flat?
If the Earth is flat, then the Sun is a hole in the sky.

ThirstyBirdy
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by ThirstyBirdy »

mistah willies wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:23 pm
ThirstyBirdy wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:19 pm
Hugh, do u know that the earth is fat
the Earth is flat,
Huh?
Something's got to be done. We can't go on like this.
I must have some booze. I demand to have some booze!- Withnail