Another Solo Mission - Drinking alone? Post here!

A forum to post your thoughts about the art and beauty of getting loaded.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Another Solo Mission

Post by oettinger »

I`d never ever clean up BEFORE a mini bender. That just doesn`t make sense
Drink!

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Breaking one of the rules of Solo Drinking tonight. Drinking in a foul mood. My kitchen sink drain is (nearly) clogged and I was unable to clear it with Drano or a wire hanger. So I had to send an email to the landlord. Fuck.

Has anybody - ever - anywhere - ever used Drano with success? It has never cleared a drain anytime I've ever used it.

Now my apartment and I smell like a drain.

Where the fook are you guys? What the fook are you drinking?

Vella Delicious Red over here.

ThirstyBirdy
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by ThirstyBirdy »

Hugh wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:18 pm
Breaking one of the rules of Solo Drinking tonight. Drinking in a foul mood. My kitchen sink drain is (nearly) clogged and I was unable to clear it with Drano or a wire hanger. So I had to send an email to the landlord. Fuck.

Has anybody - ever - anywhere - ever used Drano with success? It has never cleared a drain anytime I've ever used it.

Buy the stuff call "Liquid Fire" for the drain. (Danger warning below)

I keep the big bottle. It clears any clogs, i pour say a half cup down the drain once a month for maintenance.

WARNING:
Just make sure you snake the drain before pouring it in, DO NOT get it on your skin, and wear goggles, it's sulfuric acid!

Clogs are a bitch...

I'm drinking whiskey.
Something's got to be done. We can't go on like this.
I must have some booze. I demand to have some booze!- Withnail

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Try coke and mentos, could get messy though
Drink!

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

ThirstyBirdy wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:00 am
Hugh wrote:

I keep the big bottle. It clears any clogs, i pour say a half cup down the drain once a month for maintenance.

WARNING:
Just make sure you snake the drain before pouring it in, DO NOT get it on your skin, and wear goggles, it's sulfuric acid!

Clogs are a bitch...

I'm drinking whiskey.
Got me a bottle of Kraken black for this Sunday thing.

Personally, I tend to dump the fats from my frying pan into a coffee mug and then put it back into the freezer for cooking.
If it's weird fat, there's a coffee mug for that also.
That there shit gets quickly zapped in the micro wave to remove it onto the garbage just before the garbage truck comes down the street.
Of course, I've been know to chase them down the street in my greasy bathrobe and bunny slippers, rollers in my hair like Klinger.

Hugh, ya gotta get a dedicated kitchen plunger for the price of a beer at a bar. Yes, have both.

To clean a drain, I get a large pot of water boiling.

Hot water/baking soda mixture ready in another coffee mug.
White vinegar to make a volcano.
Heat up the drain with hot water from the tap in a good heavy stream.
Have a glass of tasty adult beverage and read the MDM for a bit.

When you think of it, stop everything and pour that stirred up baking soda down the drain and then follow with the white vinegar. Let that bubble for a while and work it with that plunger. You can do this with one hand, and sip whiskey on a rock with the rocks glass in the other hand: Classy.

Pour the boiling water into the drain and go grab a fresh drink. After a bit, run the hot tap water again.

It might smell like a douche, but it's better than toxic gases in your nose-holes. That shit is friggin acrid.

Or else, wait for ass-crack Harry to come and plumb your drain. Maybe get him drunk too.

*hiccup* youer welcome

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Artful Drunktective »

Hugh wrote:

Not to be a smart ass and assume you didn't try everything but did you try and plunge it? Shockingly it works most of the time.
Okole maluna!

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Baking soda followed by vinegar. Wait 15-20 minutes then flush it with hot water. Works for me. Sometimes.

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

And stop pouring grease down the drain. Or puking in it.

That's what balconies are for.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Artful Drunktective wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:33 am
Hugh wrote:

Not to be a smart ass and assume you didn't try everything but did you try and plunge it? Shockingly it works most of the time.
I didn't use a plunger, but I have in the past. The first time it clogged, which was the day after I moved in ten years ago, I told the landlord that I tried plunging it. He told me not to do that because it just pushed the clog down farther and makes it harder to snake. However, what I did not realize, was that plunging wouldn't be effective anyway because I share the drain with the unit next door. Any pressure created by the plunger would just come up out of the next door neighbors sink instead of pushing the clog.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

mistah willies wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:56 am
ThirstyBirdy wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:00 am
Hugh wrote:

WARNING:

Clogs are a bitch...

I'm drinking whiskey.
Got me a bottle of Kraken black for this Sunday thing.

Personally, I tend to dump the fats from my frying pan into a coffee mug and then put it back into the freezer for cooking.
If it's weird fat, there's a coffee mug for that also.
That there shit gets quickly zapped in the micro wave to remove it onto the garbage just before the garbage truck comes down the street.
Of course, I've been know to chase them down the street in my greasy bathrobe and bunny slippers, rollers in my hair like Klinger.

Hugh, ya gotta get a dedicated kitchen plunger for the price of a beer at a bar. Yes, have both.

To clean a drain, I get a large pot of water boiling.

Hot water/baking soda mixture ready in another coffee mug.
White vinegar to make a volcano.
Heat up the drain with hot water from the tap in a good heavy stream.
Have a glass of tasty adult beverage and read the MDM for a bit.

When you think of it, stop everything and pour that stirred up baking soda down the drain and then follow with the white vinegar. Let that bubble for a while and work it with that plunger. You can do this with one hand, and sip whiskey on a rock with the rocks glass in the other hand: Classy.

Pour the boiling water into the drain and go grab a fresh drink. After a bit, run the hot tap water again.

It might smell like a douche, but it's better than toxic gases in your nose-holes. That shit is friggin acrid.

Or else, wait for ass-crack Harry to come and plumb your drain. Maybe get him drunk too.

*hiccup* youer welcome
I pour the grease from the frying pan into the mulch behind my apartment.

This post will be kept on hand for future clogs. Thanks much.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Hugh wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:11 pm
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:33 am
Hugh wrote:

I didn't use a plunger, but I have in the past. The first time it clogged, which was the day after I moved in ten years ago, I told the landlord that I tried plunging it. He told me not to do that because it just pushed the clog down farther and makes it harder to snake. However, what I did not realize, was that plunging wouldn't be effective anyway because I share the drain with the unit next door. Any pressure created by the plunger would just come up out of the next door neighbors sink instead of pushing the clog.

EDIT TO ADD: The clog was down the pipe that the next door neighbor and I use, not in the pipe under my sink. In fact, the landlord told me after he was done that he had to let out 17 feet of snake to get the clog. If it had been three feet farther away, he would have had to call Ass Crack Harry.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Whew. 7:20 PM and poured the first glass of wine. Solo drinking takes on even more pleasure when you do it the day after bar hopping. Yesterday I hit up two bars and amazingly - I didn't do anything stupid, didn't say anything stupid, didn't get hauled off to jail. I usually spend the day after a bar outing writing in my diary about all the shit I did, vowing to never set foot outside my apartment again.

A couple of weeks ago I caused some shit in a bar, but I didn't feel guilty about it the next day. As usual, Lonely Old Man got up out of his seat and came over to sit next to me. This particular Lonely Old Man does this every time he sees me. Like all Lonely Old Men, he's toxic. Charming me insulted him, and I guess I have to admit, deliberately so. But I didn't expect his reaction. He leaped up off his barstool, waving his arms around and yelling, "CLOSE ME OUT ED! I'M OUTTA HERE! JUST CLOSE ME OUT! I'M LEAVING!"

I suppose I should have apologized. I definitely should not have doubled over laughing at him. But it's something I've wanted to do to these toxic Lonely Old Men who haunt bars in the middle of the day because they can't find anyone to tolerate them. I saw him as soon as I walked in the door, so I went to the other end of the bar to avoid him. Seeing him get up, bring his drink, and sit next to me just kind of set me off. I'm used to this happening, he's not the only one who does that when he sees me. But for some reason, I just said in my mind, "Enough."

What is it that these men see in me? Do they see my pockmarked face and think that I must be a sympathetic listener because I must have had a hard ride in life with a face like this? I take notice of other people who have been forced to listen to Lonely Old Man in bars, but I've never noticed that Lonely Old Man gets up and goes over to approach someone else. Lonely Old Man usually just bends the ear of whoever has the misfortune of sitting next to him. They see some sort of gentleness in me that isn't there. And after years of this (I've been in this neighborhood a decade now), I guess I just want to claim my space. I need some relief from their repetitive sob stories and minutiae. Maybe I need to have more understanding. I just can't understand how someone can't sit there, enjoying their drink until it goes to their head, in silent joy. Even in a social setting. Once the booze goes to my head in a bar, I'm just as social as anyone there. But that doesn't mean I bore them with what I ate last night or bore them with comparisons of humidity in San Diego compared to humidity in Miami. (Yes, Lonely Old Man once enraptured me for a good fifteen minutes on Miami humidity.)

I can't help but wonder if this particular Lonely Old Man will approach me again if he sees me. If he does, I'll sit and listen.

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Artful Drunktective »

^ ^ ^
Perhaps these men see you simply as a friendly and familiar face at the bar and that's a comfort in itself? Nothing more than that. Obviously they are lonely and finding an avenue to discuss anything to anyone for some sort of social interaction, even if it means banal topics such as weather. Old people kinda don't have much else to talk about except for the weather because they know their personal stories bore the shit out of most people. And most old folks don't even give a crap if they bore the shit out of everyone, they just ramble on anyway. At least weather is the one thing you have in common.

Long before (but in the beginnings) of my drunkardism career, in order to graduate high school I had to do several hours of community service and I chose to do it in a nursing home. Just a bunch of undrunk and basically dying old people that had nothing else to look forward to in life than my 17 year old dumbass to come visit them for an hour a day. A 17 year old dumbass who couldn't give 2 shits really about them...I was there to put in my time. I sat there and watched "Love Connection" with Chuck Woolery with them and they were content as if my mere listless presence was enough. I found it pretty sad, really. When we did converse, it was of course about the weather and about their spouses who were long dead or wars that were long fought. I sorta cared in the human sense but at the same time I was selfishly looking at the clock counting down the minutes I could skulk on out.

What if I were old... had no where else to go, no friendly face to turn to...what would I do? Probably go to the local watering hole if I could and strike up random conversations with friendly looking drunkards. It's the only thing they have to make them feel alive, really.
Okole maluna!

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:34 am
^ ^ ^
Perhaps these men see you simply as a friendly and familiar face at the bar and that's a comfort in itself? Nothing more than that. Obviously they are lonely and finding an avenue to discuss anything to anyone for some sort of social interaction, even if it means banal topics such as weather. Old people kinda don't have much else to talk about except for the weather because they know their personal stories bore the shit out of most people. And most old folks don't even give a crap if they bore the shit out of everyone, they just ramble on anyway. At least weather is the one thing you have in common.

Long before (but in the beginnings) of my drunkardism career, in order to graduate high school I had to do several hours of community service and I chose to do it in a nursing home. Just a bunch of undrunk and basically dying old people that had nothing else to look forward to in life than my 17 year old dumbass to come visit them for an hour a day. A 17 year old dumbass who couldn't give 2 shits really about them...I was there to put in my time. I sat there and watched "Love Connection" with Chuck Woolery with them and they were content as if my mere listless presence was enough. I found it pretty sad, really. When we did converse, it was of course about the weather and about their spouses who were long dead or wars that were long fought. I sorta cared in the human sense but at the same time I was selfishly looking at the clock counting down the minutes I could skulk on out.

What if I were old... had no where else to go, no friendly face to turn to...what would I do? Probably go to the local watering hole if I could and strike up random conversations with friendly looking drunkards. It's the only thing they have to make them feel alive, really.
Do you think you would really do that in the future, if you really were in that circumstance - head to the bar looking to talk to someone?

A man I lived next door to in a cheap apartment building for nineteen years was a loner. He would sit in there drinking and watching TV. He was divorced, one kid died, the other never came by to see him. A TRUE loner. He was not a grump - in fact he was one of the most jolly people I've ever known. But he rarely ever left his apartment. In fact, he never did except to run those errands that required getting out, like groceries, laundry, haircuts. In his later years he drank wine every day. So much in fact, that it burned a hole in his esophagus - something that only hard liquor is supposed to do. He never went to the bar to talk to people.Why not? That's not a rhetorical question, by the way. Why do you think he didn't need the company of other people? He was not a snob, not at all. He didn't bathe, didn't brush his teeth, wore threadbare clothing. He must have thought that humanity had nothing to offer him, and he had nothing to offer it. He died back in 2012, and to this day I still write in my diary trying to remember all the lessons I learned from him. Not that he tried to teach me, just that I tried to learn from him. Although, I guess he did try to teach me thing or two with just some statements in passing. What a role model he was, at least to me. He needed no one. I aspire to be like him, his thrift and frugality, his independence.

Maybe another way of framing my question to you - is a friendly face to turn to really that important? I don't think it is, I hope it isn't, I don't want it to be. But I'm so wrong about everything all the time my tank of self doubt is bursting.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Drinking Kessler neat. Smooth as 80 grit sandpaper, as Patchez says. But it's a perfect night for it. Cold outside, the heater blowing and I don't have to be at work for 11 days. That's an 11 day bender on tap. It won't be a solo bender for all 11 days though. I've already decide I will hit the bars next week, I don't care how much money I spend. I'm going to go out there guilt free. But for the most part it will be me in this little room alone with my booze.

The OP of this thread said he was getting out his headphones to listen to music. I'm going to do that right now, even though I consider listening to music to be one of life's worst time wasters. But I have plenty of time to waste right now. I can afford some fantasy and self indulgence. It's like a substitute for socializing. I can sit here watching these music videos and fantasize that I"m out there with the good people of the world and i belong. Tomorrow I'll puke it all up in the toilet.