The panic has begun ladies and gentleman, time to stock up!

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: The panic has begun ladies and gentleman, time to stock up!

Post by Patchez »

scream ale wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:55 pm
The store was completely sold out of cool ranch Doritos. The apocalypse is nigh!
They used to be my favorite. Till they came out with the Sweet Tai Chilli
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Artful Drunktective »

scream ale wrote:
The store was completely sold out of cool ranch Doritos. The apocalypse is nigh!
Indeed it is! I mean really, why? WHY are Doritos sold out?! Why is there suddenly such a demand? Because a virus is flying around so they are suddenly hoard-worthy? It's painful to watch the stupidity of humanity unfold. Calm down people. There are plenty of fking Doritos for everyone in the world if you purchase them like normal people.
Okole maluna!

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

Post by Rye and Coke »

Artful Drunktective wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:54 am
scream ale wrote:
Indeed it is! I mean really, why? WHY are Doritos sold out?! Why is there suddenly such a demand? Because a virus is flying around so they are suddenly hoard-worthy? It's painful to watch the stupidity of humanity unfold. Calm down people. There are plenty of fking Doritos for everyone in the world if you purchase them like normal people.

I think that one is more so about demand than anything else. Everyone's snacking now. We're in snack mode. I'm pretty sure I've gained at least 5 lbs. being stuck in the house, surrounded by nothing but food.
"They told me to see the glass half full cause some see it as half empty
I chose to see the glass twice the size it needed to be" - Pharoahe Monch, 'Broken Again'

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

I was playing my on-line video game today that I've subscribed to for years (yeah, I'm that nerd) and I can't help but to think how Blizzard is going all CHA-CHING! right now with everyone bored and stuck at home. It's time for those nerds to shine.
Okole maluna!

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

To be more clear the store was out of more Doritos than just cool ranch. Normally there's at least four different kinds. This store at first glance appeared to only have nacho. A shit load of nacho. It took a minute before I noticed the top two rows were a different shade of red. Ultra mega spicy nacho? I don't recall. The moral of the story-no cool ranch, no peace.

Pat Magroin
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Pat Magroin »

scream ale wrote:
I'm waiting for the Zombies, didn't they promise us Zombies? Have you tried Cool Ranch Pringles?
Where the fuck am I and how did I get here?

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Pat Magroin wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:12 pm
scream ale wrote:
I'm waiting for the Zombies, didn't they promise us Zombies? Have you tried Cool Ranch Pringles?
We got Cool Ranch flavored zombies here on the Hidden Valley Ranch where, even in midst of a pandemic, life is fuckin' awesome.

And the best part? They've got queso dip for braaaaaains.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Pat Magroin wrote:
scream ale wrote:
I'm waiting for the Zombies, didn't they promise us Zombies?
Totally! I'd take the zombies any day. At least these toilet paper hoarders would get eaten first because they didn't have their priorities straight.
Okole maluna!

Pat Magroin
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Pat Magroin »

Artful Drunktective wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:21 pm
Pat Magroin wrote:
scream ale wrote:
I'm waiting for the Zombies, didn't they promise us Zombies?
Totally! I'd take the zombies any day. At least these toilet paper hoarders would get eaten first because they didn't have their priorities straight.
Like these two hoarders. She admits she's going to sell this stuff
............https://youtu.be/krv9QwaTF_E
Where the fuck am I and how did I get here?

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

Having access to a liquor store is nice because it means I don't have to stock up if we close.

I can just leave little IOUs littered about the office, Dumb & Dumber style.

If things get seriously bad, I'm headed towards the Scotch.
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

RIPT2.0
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by RIPT2.0 »

I'm practicing social distancing Cowboy style. If any motherfucker comes within 6 ft of me I pull up my bandanna across my face and draw my 45. They back up pretty quick.

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Badfellow wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:18 pm
Pat Magroin wrote:
scream ale wrote:
We got Cool Ranch flavored zombies here on the Hidden Valley Ranch where, even in midst of a pandemic, life is fuckin' awesome.

And the best part? They've got queso dip for braaaaaains.
There's queso dip? Well shit there's no need for panic.

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

Post by Rye and Coke »

Maryland Gov. Hogan made the move today to close ALL non-essential businesses today at 5PM. I almost pissed myself and damn near twisted an ankle throwing my shoes on so I can make one last run. That was when my coworker told me that, in Maryland at least, liquor stores are essential. Praise be to Bacchus, because I was about to kill some people with elbow strikes alone!
"They told me to see the glass half full cause some see it as half empty
I chose to see the glass twice the size it needed to be" - Pharoahe Monch, 'Broken Again'

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Just came back from CVS Pharmacy. While there hasn't been a run on booze, there are a few more holes in the shelves than there were a few days ago. There was no Vella Delicious Red, and I got the last two boxes of Vella Blush. There were only a few bottles of Kessler on the bottom shelf.

Back before all hell broke loose, when this was just an epidemic in a faraway city in China, I started noticing that the toilet paper shelves were looking a little sparse. And of course, now they are completely empty. Is this what I'm seeing with the booze now? A little bit of panic buying before the stampede? I have to assume so. I'm going to start buying two boxes a day every day for a while just in case we go into full quarantine mode. I've got 7 boxes right now.

I was at the grocery store earlier today, too. All the canned foods have been picked clean, still no toilet paper. No mac n cheese, either, and I'm down to my last box. There are a lot of people running around with those masks on, but it seems like I remember reading an article that says the CDC recommends against wearing masks in public for the purpose of prevention.

I've been laughing at all this bullshit up until now. Now it's getting serious. Not that I'm worried about getting sick and dying, but that I'm not going to be able to function normally if we go into full lock down and I don't have enough household supplies and booze.

And one last thing - when I was in the grocery store I did NOT get the feeling that everyone had the "we're all in this together" attitude. Everyone's faces looked hard and hostile. Probably mine, too.

Oh, one more last thing. The bars are closed. But when I walked by one of my dives, there was a crowd of people in there in the dark. The gate was locked over the front door so no one could go in, but it sounded like a good sized crowd and the jukebox was going.

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Rye and Coke wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:46 pm
Maryland Gov. Hogan made the move today to close ALL non-essential businesses today at 5PM. I almost pissed myself and damn near twisted an ankle throwing my shoes on so I can make one last run. That was when my coworker told me that, in Maryland at least, liquor stores are essential. Praise be to Bacchus, because I was about to kill some people with elbow strikes alone!
We get our booze at the grocery store so we are fortunate that it's in an essential place. I have to admit, ^ ^ ^that would be the first time I would be in panic mode if that ball was dropped on me that fast. I probably would have twisted both ankles. In that situation, I would break my own anti-hoarding rule for once. The only reason why I wouldn't feel bad about that is because it's deemed "non-essential", but it is detrimental to my survival if I don't have it..
Hugh wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:53 pm
Just came back from CVS Pharmacy. While there hasn't been a run on booze, there are a few more holes in the shelves than there were a few days ago. There was no Vella Delicious Red, and I got the last two boxes of Vella Blush. There were only a few bottles of Kessler on the bottom shelf.

Back before all hell broke loose, when this was just an epidemic in a faraway city in China, I started noticing that the toilet paper shelves were looking a little sparse. And of course, now they are completely empty. Is this what I'm seeing with the booze now? A little bit of panic buying before the stampede? I have to assume so. I'm going to start buying two boxes a day every day for a while just in case we go into full quarantine mode. I've got 7 boxes right now.
Yeah several weeks ago when we were doing our normal shopping, I picked up a can of Lysol and disinfectant wipes. The next time we went shopping, I picked up a few more of the same. Oett asked why and I said that it was good to have extra on hand. Same with the toilet paper, we picked up ONE of those too, even though we had some. I knew before long we wouldn't be able to find these things so my rational was to just pretend like we didn't have the extras and really save them for an emergency. The store was fully stocked on these things anyway so we weren't being greedy or anything. Well now here we are a month later and the stores were out of all of those things. It just goes to show there's ways to shop smart without having to be a hoarder. Like Hugh said...just start buying a little more at a time. If people had been doing this all along, there wouldn't be panic buying and empty shelves.
scream ale wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:54 am
To be more clear the store was out of more Doritos than just cool ranch. Normally there's at least four different kinds. This store at first glance appeared to only have nacho. A shit load of nacho.
This makes me feel tremendously better, thank you for clarifying. I couldn't bear the thought of a world without Doritos.
Okole maluna!