The Savages have invaded and must be repelled

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Chelsea40oz
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Chelsea40oz »

Well Lucky Strikes, you've found a new home. :wink:
As a former zine publisher, I'd probably rule a message board with an iron fist. Or at least, as my friend zom says, it would be a "benevolent dictatorship." I am all for the rights of those who provide a private resource for public use to determine the content.
If I had taken all comers in the 80s, I would have been complicit in propagating neonazi ideology and blighting the world with wretched high school poetry! :roll:

Barca

Post by Barca »

LuckyStrikes wrote:No one likes being rejected :cry: but you take that chance when you rattle the cage. It's easy to gauge the mood of a board, read the posts. You know when you're walking toward the crowd and not with it.
Is that the point then? The goal of this board is to have one monolithic drunken mob marching in lockstep towards the open bar on the horizon.

I would've thought that true drunkards would celebrate the rebel, the squeaky wheel, the drunk who rips open the Guinness can just to see what's inside. Already a group that's marginalized and condemned, I'd think we'd be able to take that lesson to heart and not repeat the mistakes of the undrunk herd.

Again I have to reiterate that I must have missed something VodkaMan did. He poked fun at Giles Humbert's deliberately pompous and pretentious posturing so he was banned?

Was their a flame war I missed? Did he start a thread on why Hitler was the greatest drunk of all time? Why a MADD third-party candidate should be our next president?

Obviously, there are things that should be punished with banishment, I just think we should be particularly careful about where we set that bar.
Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. - Henry Lawson

Joe Twelvepack
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Joe Twelvepack »

I've said it before, I'll say it again: you insult the host, you risk getting tossed. We all know it. It's one of the Rules of Drinking.
stop thinking start drinking

LuckyStrikes
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by LuckyStrikes »

Again I have to reiterate that I must have missed something VodkaMan did. He poked fun at Giles Humbert's deliberately pompous and pretentious posturing so he was banned?
I liked Vodkaman. He made me laugh. But I don't think the entire story of his demise is found on these boards.

Barco, think of it like this; You can't smoke in bars anymore in NYC. Other places too. So if I had the money, I would rent a space, invite my friends in, let everyone make their own drinks and chat. Thus, no employees, thus no legal ramifications for banning smoking. If a stranger were to come in, I would welcome them. "Sit down. Make yourself a drink, join the fun." If that person started calling others names, or initiating conversation that caused my other guests to leave, or if that person cornered me in the back room and insulted me every chance he got out of earsight of the others), I would show that person the door. Giles is our host. We have to live by his standards of what being a guest is.

This may make no sense whatsoever. It's only a little after 3 o'clock here and my brain is disinegrating as I write. I want to go home. It's raining. Why won't they let me leave? What have I done to deserve.........
Voices tell me to buy the bigger bottle!

LuckyStrikes
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by LuckyStrikes »

Is that the point then? The goal of this board is to have one monolithic drunken mob marching in lockstep towards the open bar on the horizon.
I like the idea of that. Can't you see us now? Maybe if we all lit up our cigarettes once we got to the bar, they would have to let us smoke. Together we stand..seperate we don't smoke

thirsty4beer
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by thirsty4beer »

i have missed the whole vodkaman episode as my machine was in getting repaired.i do, however, agree with Luckystrikes stand on this kind of matter in general.if you fguck with the vibe, goodbye.(as i say, though, i dont know about this particular situation.please dont judge me finally on this post :) )
mine's a pint

LuckyStrikes
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by LuckyStrikes »

I don't think Vodkaman was the only one axed...but i'm too tired of this desk to get into that....you'd have to search the threads or maybe someone else can fill you in.

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

Eh, you didn't really miss anything big.

Barca

Post by Barca »

If people on the board really believe that the things Vodkaman said were grave and unforgivable insults, then a lot of us are going to have to be a lot more careful with our verbiage. I've said more offensive things as compliments.

I agree that we want a civilized and friendly board here, but we don't want a tea party. The difference between a skilled drinker and a frat-boy amateur isn't that we get less drunk and keep the monkey caged, it's that our monkey is better trained. But this board is still a room full of monkeys, some of them flying, some of them red-assed, and I think it's silly to punish someone cuz their monkey got loose and broke a little glassware, he wasn't flinging feces or anything.

Monkey cry.
Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. - Henry Lawson

LuckyStrikes
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by LuckyStrikes »

CAN'T WE JUST FORGET ABOUT VODKAMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by LuckyStrikes on Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

I'm sick from going back and forth.

Uncle Sal
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Uncle Sal »

I can only read half of whay y'all have to say due to these big ass, and yes thy're big avatars. come on add right and left to up and down? drink more and go for the spin!
need a woman be good to me... won't hide my whiskey try to serve me tea...

Chelsea40oz
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Chelsea40oz »

Uncle Sal wrote:I can only read half of whay y'all have to say due to these big ass, and yes thy're big avatars. come on add right and left to up and down? drink more and go for the spin!
:x Hey, come on now, my ass avatar is not that big! :lol:

TARTANSPECIAL
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by TARTANSPECIAL »

People, it is quite simple, if someone posts something you don't like you have a choice, reply or don't reply. If no one replies to a post, surely the poster will get the message, that they have messed up.
beer, wine,voddie it don't get any better.

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Chelsea40ozBondage! wrote::x Hey, come on now, my ass avatar is not that big! :lol:
Is that what it is? I could never figure it out. Everytime I looked closely my spectacles steamed up...
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage