Kegerator

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

SeeNoEvil
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Kegerator

Post by SeeNoEvil »

Is it worth the effort to convert an old refrigerator to hold kegs or would it be easier just to buy one? I want to add this little gem to my bar downstairs. Anyone ever successfully converted a refrigerator into a kegerator? Any advice would help.
"God favors drunks and the cataclysmically stoned."
Stephen King

fdoosey
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Re: Kegerator

Post by fdoosey »

SeeNoEvil wrote:Is it worth the effort to convert an old refrigerator to hold kegs or would it be easier just to buy one? I want to add this little gem to my bar downstairs. Anyone ever successfully converted a refrigerator into a kegerator? Any advice would help.
My sister in law's boyfriend did that. He won the parts on eBay for about 100 bucks - top of the line stuff though. He said it was firly simple - drill a hole in the door, rig up the tap and voila!

Works pretty good, too.
http://www.sammichmen.com

methfront: the man who wanted to steal a shopping cart of bowling balls and drop them from the back of a car down route 36 doesn't want to sow bitterness
fdoosey: No, he just wanted to have fun with a shopping cart of bowling balls.

jerryg
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by jerryg »

The thought has crossed my mind, too. As long as you've already got an old fridge you might as well give it a try rather than buying a unit. If you screw it up you're only out the conversion kit. Check your yellow pages, there might be someone in your area who will do the install for you if you're not too handy.

massivedrunk

Post by massivedrunk »

wisconsin eh, ill be there in ten minutes
Still just figuring it all out. Still not really figuring it out.

SeeNoEvil
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by SeeNoEvil »

MassiveDrunk wrote:wisconsin eh, ill be there in ten minutes
I'll keep a few beers on ice for you
"God favors drunks and the cataclysmically stoned."
Stephen King

deadpuppiesandwhores
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by deadpuppiesandwhores »

SeeNoEvil wrote:
MassiveDrunk wrote:wisconsin eh, ill be there in ten minutes
I'll keep a few beers on ice for you
my buddy just upgraded his fegerator to a lay down typr of coole. while we were drunk the other day, he tried to sell it to me and i agreed. the problem is he don't remember.. i can't imagine why
road to hell is paved with unbought stuffed dogs.
"I AM TOO DRUNK TO TASTE THIS CHICKEN."
colonel sanders

http://meetme.hotornot.com/r/?emid=K8ERHQN

i'm not saying i beat the devil, but i drank his beer for nothin'.... then i stole his song.

Pinky
Souse
Souse

Post by Pinky »

Try your local Home Brew supply store. Mine has kits. I imagine most do.
Yeast are our friends.

BeerGnome
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by BeerGnome »

Pinky is right. check your local home brew shop..
they should have the base parts..

now what you want to really do is get a chest freezer.. then you get this thermostat doohicky that you plug in line with the chest freezer..

you gotta consider space.. and how much beer you want avialable.. aregular refrigerrater will keep your beer at temp.. but you'll only be able to fit ONE Half barrel keg in there.. your standard keg size.. of up to four five gallon kegs..

so the stands ups.. space is at a premioum.. in a single chest freezer we can fit two half barels.. and six five gallon kegs.. we can put the gas bottle off to the side..

your towers should be fed from the lid of the chest feezer.. no coils in ther to worry about drilling thru

just an idea.. use it as it will .. I already have my keggerator picked out.. and its a four spout duel tower ststem.. that I can fit eight taps onto :D
it shall be the center pice of my tiki bar reproduction as soon as I get my new home :)
I killed a six pack just to watch it die

Joe Twelvepack
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Joe Twelvepack »

I want a kegerator. That's the first thing I plan to make or buy when I get a little more space. If you build one, let us know how it goes.
stop thinking start drinking